Some Stuff I've been listening to

Wheezer

Apr 18, 2005
Colorado
Wolverine, Still. I was totally unaware of these guys until just a few days ago. Pretty good stuff. Definitely more towards Prog Rock than metal. After one listen I'm pretty much hooked. I also got "The Window Purpose". That one's more towards metal but still proggy and a few death vox thrown in. Not quite as refined and not as easy a listen as Still.

Communic, Waves of Visual Decay. Excellent sophomore effort. It's solid from front to back. There's only seven tracks but each is 8 - 9 minutes long. There is a bit of repetition in there but not nearly as much as some bands manage with songs of similar length. The title track still kicks my ass after several listens.

Amorphis, Eclipse. Pretty damn good stuff. Kinda, sorta reminds me of Poisonblack, mostly in the vox department. Straightforward metal. Nice to sit back and relax to without feeling the need to pay too much attention.

Still playing the hell out of Benedictum and Beautiful Sin. It's nice to see more female vocalists in metal. And the new Vanden Plas is still kicking my ass as well.

There's other stuff too but those are the highlights.

Wheezer said:
Wolverine, Still. I was totally unaware of these guys until just a few days ago. Pretty good stuff. Definitely more towards Prog Rock than metal. After one listen I'm pretty much hooked. I also got "The Window Purpose". That one's more towards metal but still proggy and a few death vox thrown in. Not quite as refined and not as easy a listen as Still.

Communic, Waves of Visual Decay. Excellent sophomore effort. It's solid from front to back. There's only seven tracks but each is 8 - 9 minutes long. There is a bit of repetition in there but not nearly as much as some bands manage with songs of similar length. The title track still kicks my ass after several listens.

Amorphis, Eclipse. Pretty damn good stuff. Kinda, sorta reminds me of Poisonblack, mostly in the vox department. Straightforward metal. Nice to sit back and relax to without feeling the need to pay too much attention.

Still playing the hell out of Benedictum and Beautiful Sin. It's nice to see more female vocalists in metal. And the new Vanden Plas is still kicking my ass as well.

That Wolverine might be for me. I have been listening to Sieges Even which is definitely Prog Rock. There is a metal moment here and there, but still definitely prog rock.

I have heard Amorphis and nothing grabbed me.

Don't know Benedictum nor Beautiful Sin. Sounds like it may be interesting.

The Vanden Plas is a given. Like you, I put it on only once or twice to keep from burning it out, but it STILL makes everything else sound like shit. Vanden Plas gave me a pretty bad bitch slap when they released "Christ0."

Bryant

Bryant said:
That Wolverine might be for me. I have been listening to Sieges Even which is definitely Prog Rock. There is a metal moment here and there, but still definitely prog rock.

Yeah, I think if you like the Sieges Even that the new Wolverine would work for you as well. Fairly similar to my ears.

Bryant said:
Don't know Benedictum nor Beautiful Sin. Sounds like it may be interesting.

Didn't I include Beautiful Sin on that disc I brought down? I should have because it's Jorn Viggo Lofstadt's side project. Benedictum I picked up from carnut on the Soulseek weekend. It's a female lead vocalist and she handles "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" quite well, along with their original material.

For Amorphis try "Am Universum" and/or "Far From The Sun". Benedictum is highly recommended for hard driven heavy metal with energy and attitude.

Wheezer said:
Yeah, I think if you like the Sieges Even that the new Wolverine would work for you as well. Fairly similar to my ears.

Didn't I include Beautiful Sin on that disc I brought down? I should have because it's Jorn Viggo Lofstadt's side project. Benedictum I picked up from carnut on the Soulseek weekend. It's a female lead vocalist and she handles "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" quite well, along with their original material.

If you noticed I never replied to your PM about how I liked the CD you sent me. I misplaced it dude. It's not "lost." it's normal for me. I just have to ask Harumi where it is. I also don't want you to think I don't appreciate it, but I have just got into this bit torrent thing too.

Bryant

Bryant said:
If you noticed I never replied to your PM about how I liked the CD you sent me. I misplaced it dude. It's not "lost." it's normal for me. I just have to ask Harumi where it is. I also don't want you to think I don't appreciate it, but I have just got into this bit torrent thing too.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't need to say a word. I know you appreciate it and you know I appreciate the discs you gave me. That's what friends are for. If Harumi can't help you out and you need me to mail them, just let me know.

The new Vanden Plas is the shyte!!!! My #1 or 2 of the year so far (Monotheist is competing for the other slot there). Also, I just discovered Communic. VERY COOL RECORD! Just kinda found it by accident. Glad to know others are checking it out.

Wheezer said:

Wheezer said:
Cool! Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for them. :kickass:

That'll be providing you like clean vocals, if you like their more harsh stuff either check from "Elegy" to "Tuonela" and their latest "Eclipse". Then for their really harsh stuff from " The Karelian Isthmus" to "Black Winter Day".

Basically Amorphis is a band with 3-4 eras: death metal, death/progressive, progressive and back to the second but softer.

NP: Alice Cooper - 'Hard Hearted Alice'

Wheezer said:
I have 'Cold Light of Monday' and while there is nothing wrong with it, in particular, it just doesn't grab me. I've given it a few spins and it hasn't taken hold yet.

Wheezer said:
What version do you have? I have the UK version and it has 2 unlisted bonus tracks - 'Consipacy in Mind' & 'Ocean Bed' from the album 'Conspiracy in Mind'...9 tracks in total. Fans of Nevermore should check these guys out, if you haven't already. This album is rockin' my world right now!:headbang:

Wheezer said:
Didn't I include Beautiful Sin on that disc I brought down? I should have because it's Jorn Viggo Lofstadt's side project.
Isn't it Uli Kusch's side project? :) I'm interested anyway, I read good things about BF.

And the new Communic is at the top of my want list.

Fangface said:
Isn't it Uli Kusch's side project? :) I'm interested anyway, I read good things about BF.

And the new Communic is at the top of my want list.

Who's Uli Kusch? :p Itis quite good and I'm a big fan of Lofstadt's style.

The new Communic is a step above "Conspiracy". I'm really enjoying it.

TheWhisper said:
I have 'Cold Light of Monday' and while there is nothing wrong with it, in particular, it just doesn't grab me. I've given it a few spins and it hasn't taken hold yet.

I just found that one so I haven't given it a try yet. If it's too much like "Window" then I prolly won't get much out of it either.

TheWhisper said:
What version do you have? I have the UK version and it has 2 unlisted bonus tracks - 'Consipacy in Mind' & 'Ocean Bed' from the album 'Conspiracy in Mind'...9 tracks in total. Fans of Nevermore should check these guys out, if you haven't already. This album is rockin' my world right now!:headbang:

I have the downloaded version so far. :heh: I haven't checked my usual sources to buy it yet. That'll prolly happen this week sometime. I've got a long list of things to purchase. It's been a while since I put an order in. I hope Laser's Edge has it all. :lol:

Wyvern said:
That'll be providing you like clean vocals, if you like their more harsh stuff either check from "Elegy" to "Tuonela" and their latest "Eclipse". Then for their really harsh stuff from " The Karelian Isthmus" to "Black Winter Day".

Basically Amorphis is a band with 3-4 eras: death metal, death/progressive, progressive and back to the second but softer.

I'm more of a clean vocals type. I have learned (lowered my standards? :) ) to enjoy some amount of death vox so long as there's plenty of clean to offset it and the music is melodic. Straight death does nothing for me at all. I doubt it ever will. I would say the farthest I'll go into the death realm would be Scar Symmetry.

Hey Weezer since I am at carnuts place at the moment and really busy with visiting concerts I did not anwser sooner. Its a mighty good selection you have there. Communic is kicking my ass since I first heard it and its GREAT!!

Those guys are really talented. I also like the new Wolverine very much a beautiful record and it is indeed a bit like Sieges Even although I like SE better. I already heard Wolverine's earlier record "The Window Purpose" and was not impressed. I simply can't stand bands that mix clean vocals with death growls, for me its either the one or the other but not both. So I am happy with their new sound.

Hawk said:
Hey Weezer since I am at carnuts place at the moment and really busy with visiting concerts I did not anwser sooner. Its a mighty good selection you have there. Communic is kicking my ass since I first heard it and its GREAT!! Those guys are really talented.

:lol: You just keep visiting those concerts! :headbang: It's probably nice to have the distraction. It's good to see you enjoying yourself. :kickass:

It's amazing to me that they're just a trio. I'd like to see them live just to see how they pull it off. I tried to order it yesterday and found out it won't be available until the end of the month. :(

Hawk said:
I also like the new Wolverine very much a beautiful record and it is indeed a bit like Sieges Even although I like SE better. I already heard Wolverine's earlier record "The Window Purpose" and was not impressed. I simply can't stand bands that mix clean vocals with death growls, for me its either the one or the other but not both. So I am happy with their new sound.

I've only listened to each of those Wolverine discs once. My feel for them is very similar to yours. I don't mind a mix of death/clean but I do have a pretty narrow tolerance for it. I also like the SE much better.

I also downloaded Kiuas' "Reformation" yesterday based on a friend's description: "old school Metal meets everything from Sonata Arctica, older Children of Bodom and Moonsorrow (just a tiny bit). Their themes are mostly heathen, and their songs show a great deal of variety." He hit it right on the head. That's a good disc as well.

Fangface said:
Kusch is Masterplan/ex-Helloween's drummer, I think he's the mainman behind Beautiful Sin but I'm not sure.

I am.:p
I mean, yeah it's his project. Haven't heard a single note myself but I've read some lukewarm reviews... there's supposedly an alternate version of Helloween's Departed (Sun Is Going Down) on that disc, which for me at least is a good enough reason to give it a chance. At some point in the distant future.

tsorl said:
I am.:p
I mean, yeah it's his project. Haven't heard a single note myself but I've read some lukewarm reviews... there's supposedly an alternate version of Helloween's Departed (Sun Is Going Down) on that disc, which for me at least is a good enough reason to give it a chance. At some point in the distant future.

I haven't heard it yet, but despite it being Uli's project, Jorn Viggo Lofstat (Pagans Mind's guitarist) always puts a big stamp on side work he is involved in. I am a big fan of his and when I find the CD I misplaced, I am going to stick it in. I'll give you a review if you are interested.

Bryant