Somebody do a PODxt recording tutorial

Carcass29

3oIF
Sep 21, 2005
New York
I'm having such a hard time getting a good recorded tone using a POD. I know alot of you have some great tones going on. My problem is, I can make up a really great patch on it's own.... but recorded, it sounds processed/sterile.

Can somebody throw together a pod tutorial? I quadtracked and used highpass frequency on 2 tracks and threw together this simple riff to give an example. What am I doing wrong.... Is it the frequencies? or the mixing? Thanx

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandid=826484&content=music

Dude...... +99999.

Im been struggling for like 3 years with these thing trying to get something usable.
Hope somebody can help us all, i did try revalver (wich is supposed to be better than the line6 stuff) but is something in the xt tones i heard here that motivate me to keep trying.

^Thanks man for fixing that link.

If you like dude I can do a quick tutorial on how I get the tone I use, but it might not be exactly what you're looking for...?

shit...anything would help at this point. I'm thinking I need to learn how to boost certain frequencies and cut others to get them sitting well in a mix....maybe some screenshots of panning and what frequencies you use in the daw or as a plugin would help.

I usually come up with a cool rhythm tone that I like then I come up with another tone (mostly with some mids) to layer....but together it sounds like ass.

*I'm also recording using the POD's USB*

Well tbh mate, I really don't know shit about different frequencies and stuff, I just do whatever I think sounds good, which usually means some pretty ridiculous E.Q. I'll give you a quick run down of what I do to get the tone I use, and that might give you a bit of a hand towards making your tone sound a bit better...

Guitars:

There are 4 tracks of guitars:

100%L
90%L
100%R
90% R

On gearbox I use the Big Bottom amp with these settings:

t041w5.jpg

Then it has the 421 mic with 0% room sound.

After that it goes straight into cubase.

I use some pretty mad E.Q. straight on the guitar channels (all guitar channels have roughly this EQ setting, but I do it roughly each time so they're all SLIGHTLY different):

inwmkp.jpg

After that I run all of the guitars into a guitar group where I use the following plugins:

BBE Sonic Maximizer - both controls set to 1

Waves C4 - I literally just open it and pull around 4K up SLIGHTLY. Everything else is left the same. I pretty much use it like an E.Q.

Then I also send the whole guitar bus to a seperate paralel compression bus, and I actually usually tend to have the paralel compression bus up higher than the actual guitar bus, I'm not sure why I just prefer the way it sounds...

On the paralel compression bus I shove on a waves Rcomp and use (roughly) the following settings:

104p4eo.jpg

Bass:

I just record the DI of the bass, and then stick ampeg SVX on the bass channel with the "dark dist" preset. Then I fuck the shit out of it with PSP vinage warmer with the following settings:

6945qw.jpg

I give it a nice big boost at around 3.5k (and I mean big like, 7/8 decibels big, I know I'm naughty :p)

Then I just put it through to a bass group so that it's easier for mixing later and I can just adjust drums as a group, guitars as a group, bass as a group and then vox as a group. And I shove another Rcomp across the bass group with literally the exact same settings as I used for parallel compression earlier.

Hope this helped dude, if you want any other details on anything feel free to give me a shout :p

Thanks Scissors61, the parallel comp on guitars seems to be a good idea, ive seen lot of people doing it too. Might worth a try.
Keep it coming ¡¡

nice! Thanks for the details and screenshots...I guess it's a little bit of trial and error when it comes to the pod, finding out what works best for each person and how well it comes out. Thanks for the tips and your time...appreciate it.

Hey dude! A POD tone that works on its own is probably not a tone that works on the mix, man. ALWAYS tweak in terms of the mix. Keep in mind the POD has got that processed voicing already which is hard to fight. My way of doing this are probably keeping the gain not very high, and relying more on picking hard to get the saturation I need. Works for me, but it's probably not what everybody does.

What I'd personally change about your tone is to ditch the POD's compression and MAYBE add a touch of multi-band compression on the lows/low mids on your DAW rather to get the tone sounding rawer while still keeping the tone under control.

Start with lowering the gain. I listened to the untitled, and it was muddy, lowering the gain helps clean this up.
Play around with the Eq on the pod also. To fight the fizz in my pod i use the highshelf lowered to around -10 @ 4-5khz. It made wonders for my tone atleast.
Have you read this thread? http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...-recording-tips-tricks-and-eq-ing-thread.html If not, do it! It's worth reading.

narcossintese, Scissors61.
how do you get this hard, powerful sound?????????

i have podx3, i connect with usb to my pc and record with that tone (with another tones too) and i always have the same problem, a bit compressed sound, little volumen and powerful. why???? I am tired of not being able to get that force when recording...:cry:

if i put podx3 master level very big, clipping....:(
i want to get that direct sound...:(:(

some help?