Something different!! Rock / Alternative, lots of dynamics

schismatic

Kintsugi is coming
Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, UK
I'm mixing a track from a band who aren't metal, more rock/alternative sound. Think clean guitars in verses, big wall of sound guitars in choruses.

Here's my mix so far (minus vocals):

https://db.tt/ziQCxE41

Some feedback on the balance of the instruments would be really appreciated, as well as any other general comments you might have!!

Have a listen, might hear something you like!!

Cheers! :D

It sounds very kings of leon to me, im not sure if the drums sound too consistent for the style and the distorted guitar could do with a much worse tone to suit the song a bit better :) that's only my opinion though the mix itself sounds fine to me

It sounds very kings of leon to me, im not sure if the drums sound too consistent for the style and the distorted guitar could do with a much worse tone to suit the song a bit better :) that's only my opinion though the mix itself sounds fine to me

hey, thanks for having a listen. what do you mean by "guitar could do with a much worse tone"? Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, not sure I full understand you!

Also, do you mean the drum patterns could have more variation?

im not very good at explaining it lol basically (again just a personal thing, the mix itself sounds good to me) the distorted tone sounds too good for the genre to me, ide maybe go for a more raw tone thats not very distorted similar to this (comes in at 35 seconds)

and those are midi drums right? the kick and snare sound like the velocities could be made to sound a little more inconsistent

Last edited by a moderator:
The drums were tracked using a MIDI kit, so the velocities are already quite different - they're not all 127 etc!

With the guitars, think I understand what you mean now!! I guess it's just a bit of preference in that sense, they didn't want to go for something overly raw or harsh. I think the band wanted a Biffy Clyro level of distortion going on.

I did an updated mix here: https://db.tt/sWmsOMnJ

I think it's an improvement!