something quite unique...

dredd_hedd

changed by the shock
Nov 18, 2001
Visit site
Anyone ever heard Opeth songs with female vocals? It is the craziest thing!!
I recently bought a new PC and it comes with a swank soundcard that allows you to change many aspects of audio including changing prerecorded audio.
I fired up Damnation and put a male to female vocals effect and you wouldn't believe how awesome it comes out!
If anyone has an Audigy card with EAX, you have to try it!

haha i have an audigy 2 and i didnt check to see what came with it. thanks for hinting at it. its pretty funny. Im playing porcupine tree with the option "female to male" vocals and now it sounds like a big black dude singing! awesome haha

I thought some of you might enjoy it. It's really quite interesting. I listend to Damnation completely on female vocals and it was like a whole new album!

haha i have an audigy 2 and i didnt check to see what came with it. thanks for hinting at it. its pretty funny. Im playing porcupine tree with the option "female to male" vocals and now it sounds like a big black dude singing! awesome haha
lol! you're right, it's like Barry White or something on female to male.
Try Master's Apprentices on female to male or Zeus, the deep growl after the clean vocals sounds straight-out-of-hell demonic!!! My whole room shook!

I'll try and get it recorded with the effect on.

Eirik said:
OMGOMGOMG!

I have Audigy but I'm not sure if it's the right version.. and I don't think I have that prog...

RECORD!

I wanna hear demon with deeper vox! !:eek:

Therein lies the problem. I don't thinks its possible to record the songs with the effect on. But since you have a Audigy, you should be able to do it. What kind of Audigy is it? mp3? gamer? It needs to have EAX I believe. Go to your playcenter if you have one or even just properties and check if you have these effects.

Recording it makes it drop an additional few steps - I have no idea why it doesn't work right. It's annoying. But goddam it is hilarious if you can do it yourself. I ran it on some tori amos (the song Crazy) with female->male and it sounded EXACTLY like maynard from tool :p

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot, it was just my comp adding effects to the recorded file and making me think it recorded too low :D

a síctia said:
any other way without Audigy? some program?

Probably, if you have some decent audio plugins for a recording program. I'm not exactly sure what effects are being applied, I think it's more than simple pitch-shifting cause honestly the tonal quality of the voice sounds exactly masculine when you run the female->male thing on a female recording (Girls Just Want to Have Fun sounded like it was being sung by the guy from The Cure :D). It's a great program to be sure. Buy an audigy 2 !

If you have the "Creative Volume Control" in your toolbar just doubleclick it, and click the sound/speaker icon tab.

Mine doesn't seem to give a straight conversion with most metal songs, I was able to really beef up a Tyr song, but not many others. I did the male to female vocals on Windowpane...it sounded like that girl in the Dark Tranquillity song "Insanity's Crescendo", and the music was all high pitched :erk:

Funny, I was just thinking the other day what Opeth would be like with a female lead singer... Now I will attempt to find a program that can emulate this effect. BTW, I have a program called 'jetaudio' and it comes with some effects such as robot, phaser, change tempo etc... which I have used a few times, it's pretty cool...

IamReptar said:
I got a audigy 2 zs but I don't have a clue as to how to do it. Help?

Go to the "Creative" folder in the start menu, then to "Soundblaster Audigy 2," then "EAX Console." Then check the "enable audio effects box" and select whatever you want, the vocal effects are in the "Special Effects" section.

I'm going to post a few seconds of "Demon of the Fall" and a Tori Amos song just to demonstrate how amusing this is. Yes, it raises/lowers the pitch of the rest of the music to match the vocal pitch change - it would HAVE to or else the vocals would be in the wrong key (also I doubt it could separate the vocals from the rest of it).