Something very similar to Dream Theater

Metallus91

New Metal Member
Dec 1, 2012
This year I've been listening to Dream Theater the whole time; long and "particular" songs like Pink Floyd, metal and lyrics concerning topics i'm very interested in/have dealt with.

I liked the sound and, even though i usually get tired after a while of the same things(It happened that i listened to Metallica/Iron Maiden a lot and then got tired of their solos, to the point of finding them almost annoying), DT was particular in this case because i could listen to their music without finding it repetitive/boring. It's like i was totally in tune with their music :D

Now, i've checked lastfm for bands similar to DT and found some groups that contain one of the former members of DT, but i couldn't find the sound I had fallen in lvoe with.

If there is someone very experienced with Dream Theater, what other band would you suggest me that shares MANY aspects with DT (such as sound, lyrics, mood etc)? Any song in particular to start with?

These are my favorite titles (I'll be clear tho, i listen to their entire albums overtime):
Octavarium (The first part basically talks about me; love singing along)
Scenes from a memories (I love the whole album and concept. I especially like "fatal tragedy", "Strange dejavu" and "dance of eternity))
A change of seasons (Strongly like this one)
Pull me under (Started with this, can listen to it anytime)
Panic attack (Love the beginning a LOT)
The count of tuscany (love this one; can listen to it endlessly)
Stream of consciousness (Like the sound a LOT)

I remind you that i liked Pink Floyd sound a lot (Echoes), just so you get the kind of "mood" i'm looking for, coupled with an awesome battery and clean lyrics.

I liked the DGM song you posted; do you have any specific album i should target?

I also tried Devin Townsend and i'm liking a LOT epicloud.

I had tried Symphony X in the past, but maybe i was unlucky with the songs; any title in particular i should listen to?

I'll try the other two later on, thank you.

Currently searching more of Vanden Plas; i've found two songs that remind me a lot of DT (Beyond daylight & holes in the sky). This was the sound i was looking for.

Let me know if i should listen to some particular title or if you got another band like this.

Thanks

EDIT
Listened to the whole "Beyond daylight" album and liked it a lot. This is probably the best fit so, if you got something more to add, please do so.

Devin Townsend is a good idea. Also check out Addicted and Ziltoid by him (imo).

You'd probably like Redemption, they're very Dream Theater inspired.

If you haven't heard Liquid Tension Experiment (DT side project), listen to that FOR SURE!

Between the Buried and Me aren't exactly the same as Dream Theater but you might be interested in checking them out. The Great Misdirect is especially DT-esque