sonata arctica forum

Originally posted by Petethedrummer
Ive never heard of these bands...what genre are they....any similar artists i might have heard?

Well Tea Party is a Canadian Rock band that mixes Eastern music with western. They are by far my favorite band. They are a trio and each of them have their specialties, the guitar/singer plays basicaly any instrument with strings like a citar , and others i can`t think of. The drummer plays different percusions, and the Bass player plays keyboards, and any electronic gadget. Theirs songs are very complexe and extremly beautiful. They are guitar oriented and are extremlely melodic. Real Tight band. Very popular here in Canada, australia and some countries in Europe, and almost unknown to many americains, which is basically happening with most of canada's great acts. Most canadian bands the are huge in the states are the ones who play the music style that sells in the states.. Example sum41, nicklback ect.. The ones deserving to be known are ignored by U.S like The Tea Party, Moist and Matthew Good Band.

As for porcupine Tree, all i Know is that they are a UK progressive Rock act. Liz knows much more on them!

if a tough exam can prove it, i'm not a chimpanzè! a slacker, probably :D
my exam went pretty well :hotjump:

Originally posted by mourningstar
my exam went pretty well :hotjump:
as I knew it would;)

Moe. (yes the period is part of their name) is a jam band, somewhat in the style of Phish; the songs are generally good natured exercises in getting a 10-15 min. guitar jam started, with songs blending together in the tradition of the Dead.
Recommended purchase: either of the "Warts and All" sets, which are essentially complete live 3-cd recordings with no after-show doctoring, hence the title. With a retail price of about $17 US, even if you think it sucks, that's the price of a standard studio cd so you aren't out much.

Porcupine Tree started as a psuedo psychedelic band. originally it was simply guitarist/singer Steven Wilson in his house playing with gadgets, as the music began to be known and sold in greater numbers, and as Wilson's ideas progressed and developed, he began adding band members and heading in the direction of a peculiar hybrid of prog and psych, culminating that phase of the band's career with the live-in-Rome recording, Coma Divine. Songs frequently veer from hard rock to dreamy soundscapes, and some have said that on occasion, Wilson sounds much like Floyd's Gilmour, although I think that's an oversimplification. The band started on an indie label, and have slowly built up enough sales to graduate to a division of giant Atlantic records.
Recent cds have become somewhat more streamlined but retain Wilson's quirkiness, check out http://porcupinetree.com for samples.
Recommended purchase: the latest, In Absentia, is excellent and Atlantic seems to be trying to market it with a lower than standard retail price. Lightbulb Sun is also excellent. be aware that many of the older recordings have been repackaged and will not reflect where the band is today.

happy birthday!!

obviously we want to know what you are doing today, the presents you received, and blah blah blah... ;)

Liz @I really have to check porcupine treee like you suggested to me a while ago, what are good songs i should check out?

and if heidi is reading this: I always buy what i like, if i don't buy it it's because i hate it and why would i keep mp3's i hate?

Forget about giving me samples I went shopping today and couldn't resist from not buying it when i passed by the record store! :D It's an excellente CD I really love it! His voice on some of the songs makes me think of coldplay.. The music is really dreamy and i absolutly love the guitar work Blackest Eyes is a great song to start the record with and the ending song is also a good ending song :lol: the album flows very well and it's over before you even notice.

Finally got my pics from the SymX shows up on the web (be patient if geocities says you have to wait to see them..I need to get my webspace moved already lol)..there's even a rare pic of Mike Romeo smiling :)

Jax's SymX Pics

@lizard: wilson's collaboration with opeth in deliverance goes further: backing vocals, guitars, mellotrons.

i'm multifaceted too, when i listen to him playing the mellotron in a fair judgement's intro. these are my faces: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

:lol: