sonata arctica forum

*reads it*
that's cool, jax :) i'm glad you enjoyed yourself and talked with the guys, but what about posting something about the show? :D i mean, what did they play? differently from the studio versions? any flaws? lenght? best song? and, most important question ever, did they play "of sins and shadows"???

val (the sins and shadows obsessed)

Originally posted by mourningstar
*reads it*
that's cool, jax :) i'm glad you enjoyed yourself and talked with the guys, but what about posting something about the show? :D i mean, what did they play? differently from the studio versions? any flaws? lenght? best song? and, most important question ever, did they play "of sins and shadows"???

val (the sins and shadows obsessed)

I didn't post more in my post because a lot of people on the SymX forum (as well as the SymX mailing list, where my post was originally sent) had already posted setlists & reviews of the show..so I just stuck to talking about my own weekend experiences. :)

Cleveland's setlist was:
Evolution
Sea of Lies
Wicked
King of Terrors
Smoke and Mirrors
Egypt
Death of Balance
Of Sins and Shadows

Chicago's setlist was:
Evolution
Sea of Lies
Wicked
King of Terrors
Church of the Machine
Smoke and Mirrors
Of Sins and Shadows

Both shows were tight and right on the money, and I gotta say I loved the interplay between Romeo & Russ during Wicked in Cleveland (they didn't do it in Chicago..Romeo would play a few notes, & Russ would mimic him, it was cool!). Can't really pick a *best song*, though Egypt & Wicked were definitely kickass because they're two of my fave SymX songs. As for flaws, I'll say what Romeo would say: they don't make mistakes, they improvise..hehe (I didn't hear any mistakes anyway, though!). They played for about 45 minutes each night & kept the songs pretty similar to their studio versions for the most part.

Better? ;)

yip, thank you :D

(of sins and shadows mentioned twice in a post which is not mine... *borrows lee's hair and headbangs*)

Wow, awesome set list, Jax. Glad to know you had a good time.
I think I'd have preferred the Cleveland set, what with Egypt and Death of Balance.
How did Wicked sound? That's one of my favourites from the new album. Such an awesome "groove".

Wicked was..well..WICKED. Oh man Lee..wait til you see them do that song..you'll be sporting wood for days! :lol:

Yeah wicked's pretty good! i like that song too, but for some reason the songs i like most on odessey are the ones with clearer vocals and the piano's, violins, ect.. like Awakenings, Accolade II and The Odessey. Accolade II is my favorite.

Since this is my first symphony X record can anyone tell me which of their album i should think of getting next?

thanks

All of their cds have something for everyone..you're pretty safe checking out any of them, but be aware that the self titled cd has a different singer (not a bad singer, but different than Russ).

Originally posted by Lady of the Oracle
All of their cds have something for everyone..you're pretty safe checking out any of them, but be aware that the self titled cd has a different singer (not a bad singer, but different than Russ).

Thanks for the tip, which of V and Divine Wings Of Tragedy do you prefer? The Reviews i've read for V aren't that great, but thats not all i usually take in account before making purchases, I need various opinions.

Thanks

Omigosh bad reviews of V?? Hrmm..I don't see it..V is a friggin epic cd, you listen to it all the way through & you have chills by the end. Either it or DWoT are equally good, IMO..it's hard to pick one as being better than the other. So grab either..or both! And let us know what you think! :)