sonata arctica forum

Originally posted by Reno
(And I won't charge for it. I'm too principled. I will close HMAS.org down before I start charging users/bands)

I'm sorry but I don't understand this at all - why did you start HMAS in the first place? I'm guessing that it was because you feel passionately about the music you love and wanted to help promote it. In which case this attitude is terribly defeatist. UM was started for those very reasons - the music comes first. Bands and artists get as much benefit as we do in their being here; if we didn't believe that we wouldn't have been pumping hundreds of pounds a month of our own money into the site for the last two years or so. Asking bands to pay a small fee was regretable buy necessary for the survival of this community, and it was a succesful move - it was a chance to find out how many people believed in this site as much as we did, and we found out big time. Only a handful of bands left the community, the vast majority realised that this wasn't just a forum system, we have much more to offer them than that. And we will continue to fight to keep this community online, and growing, come hell or high water. I don't see that as unprincipled at all. :)

Originally posted by Reno
Hell in the year I've ran it and approaching 500 members, I have had to ban three people.

The situation with Gums was entirely because he personally disagreed with a decision you made and he is pretty stubborn, He wants what he wants and he won't stop until he gets his way, or someone stops him. It works unless it's against someone who can stop you from talking where you are.

BTW, my email kinda self destructed and it hasn't worked for a month or so. can you email the stuff to inurobractea@excite.com please.

Steve

Originally posted by dreamwatch
I'm sorry but I don't understand this at all - why did you start HMAS in the first place? I'm guessing that it was because you feel passionately about the music you love and wanted to help promote it. In which case this attitude is terribly defeatist. UM was started for those very reasons - the music comes first. Bands and artists get as much benefit as we do in their being here; if we didn't believe that we wouldn't have been pumping hundreds of pounds a month of our own money into the site for the last two years or so. Asking bands to pay a small fee was regretable buy necessary for the survival of this community, and it was a succesful move - it was a chance to find out how many people believed in this site as much as we did, and we found out big time. Only a handful of bands left the community, the vast majority realised that this wasn't just a forum system, we have much more to offer them than that. And we will continue to fight to keep this community online, and growing, come hell or high water. I don't see that as unprincipled at all. :)

:lol: Yeah but you wouldn't have this much people visiting here without the bands, big bands. That's why you asked them to move here and promised it's for free, you don't have to pay for it and then, when the bands have brought people here, you noticed "oh my god, we need more space" and because you need more money for that, you had to ask the money from the bands.

So you should be greatful to those bands who moved here because without them you wouldn't have this much people hanging around.

That's why you shouldn't have asked money from the bands like Sonata.

Oh please Heidi, it's $60 freaking dollars for the entire year! :rolleyes:

The DISSERVICE Sonata Arctica is doing their fans FAR OUTWEIGHS a trivial $60 cost for having an "official" forum here, and does nothing more than foster illwill between fans and band.

Originally posted by Heidi
:lol: Yeah but you wouldn't have this much people visiting here without the bands, big bands. That's why you asked them to move here and promised it's for free, you don't have to pay for it and then, when the bands have brought people here, you noticed "oh my god, we need more space" and because you need more money for that, you had to ask the money from the bands.

So you should be greatful to those bands who moved here because without them you wouldn't have this much people hanging around.

That's why you shouldn't have asked money from the bands like Sonata.

sorry heidi but i totally disagree with you there.
first off, to laugh at someone's serious post is unpolite.
second, dreamwatch said she and mark spent their own money to run the site for a while (let me underline it: _when the sonata arctica forum was hosted here_). so, we can say they paid to allow sonata to have their forum here. it's really distasteful to laugh and accuse them to be uncorrect when they did pay for sonata arctica and their fans.
and the fact that sonata know what's going on (you said you mailed them) and don't come here to state their official position is really pissing people off.

sorry to disturb this... I've been looking for Sonata Arctica shirts but haven't found any, apart from the 'SA-Club' on the official page. Does anyone know about other shirts available via other mailorders? thanks :)

Originally posted by markgugs
Oh please Heidi, it's $60 freaking dollars for the entire year! :rolleyes:

The DISSERVICE Sonata Arctica is doing their fans FAR OUTWEIGHS a trivial $60 cost for having an "official" forum here, and does nothing more than foster illwill between fans and band.

That was exacerbated by the band refusing to accept any of our offers to pay the fee, too..I myself as well as at least half a dozen others offered to do so. So they could have maintained their forum here (and far more exposure than a forum on their own site will EVER provide) at no cost to them, and yet they insisted on taking their toys and going home. Like markgugs said, all that did was foster ill will, and they sure haven't won any new fans in the process, like they could have by remaining on UM.

in addition to lady of the oracle's accurate remarks, i'd like people to do away with that promise thing. a promise is when you tell someone "i assure you this is how things are/will be, on my honour, etc. etc.".
once and for all: there was no promise or cunning. at the beginning mark said there was no fee, then when the need arose he said there was going to be one. if a band does not agree with it, fine, but please let's leave promises well enough alone.

rahvin.

Originally posted by Lady of the Oracle
That was exacerbated by the band refusing to accept any of our offers to pay the fee, too..I myself as well as at least half a dozen others offered to do so.

Hmph. I didn't know this, and this makes it worse IMO.

Hopefully, I'll have the chance to ask them myself soon as well.

Originally posted by mourningstar
sorry heidi but i totally disagree with you there.
first off, to laugh at someone's serious post is unpolite.
second, dreamwatch said she and mark spent their own money to run the site for a while (let me underline it: _when the sonata arctica forum was hosted here_). so, we can say they paid to allow sonata to have their forum here. it's really distasteful to laugh and accuse them to be uncorrect when they did pay for sonata arctica and their fans.
and the fact that sonata know what's going on (you said you mailed them) and don't come here to state their official position is really pissing people off.

Ok, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I felt like laughing when I read the post. I'm sorry that I don't believe these honourable thoughts they said.

I'm sorry that I disagree.

I don't feel like arguing with you guys. SA forum was the best forum ever until Mark broke his promise. Yeah rahvin, broke his promise. Then I disagred and here we go...

And Jax, I know you said you could pay the fee but. This has nothing to do with money. I think. I remember.

Ok, who cares? SA isn't here anymore and they don't reply to my e-mails so. We don't have a forum. Shit happens.

(ok, I'm really pissed off now... not just because of this...)

@heidi: i'm sure no one here wants to argue with you. you have your ideas and you have all the right to express them.
we're not trying to explain why we think there are some flaws in your point of view just because we are happy to prove you wrong, but because we're doing exactly what you're doing: expressing our opinions. this won't kill anyone.

this said, let me tell you i appreciate the fact you keep on replying to us instead of simply let it all go (i know it's hard to stand a point when everyone else seems to think differently).

ok, time for me to go out. enjoy your evening, too :)

Hmmm, I can't see why people are still talking about this. All of this was covered on the old forum.
Having read people's comments, it looks like everyone is just repeating themselves. That's never any good for any kind of debate, and almost as frequently interesting to read.
It's also clear that Heidi isn't going to change her view nor the rest of you yours'. I'd say that's good grounds for dropping it.
But then, who am I to say you should stop talking about it?
Certainly I can't offer an alternative topic of conversation, unless you all want to ask me questions about my new guitar :Smokedev: