Song for Dead Time Blog

Omni

User
Apr 1, 2008
I figured that I should make my own thread for this because of the responses I was getting in the Morbid Knocking thread.

http://songfordeadtime.blogspot.com

I created this blog to post reviews of albums that I consider worthy of attention. My reviews will cover a variety of musical styles, with a big focus on neofolk, post-punk, dark ambient, martial industrial and other darker, more obscure styles of music. There probably won't be any metal reviews on my blog.

I only plan on reviewing albums that I consider deserving of praise, because the goal of my blog is to help people discover new music to enjoy. If you really want to read negative reviews, head on over to Encyclopaedia Metallum.

I don't consider myself the greatest writer, but I think that I do a passable job. If there are any albums that you'd like to see reviewed on my blog, or if you're curious about music that you know that I listen to, you can feel free to contact me in this thread or through private messages and I'll be more than happy to help you. I plan on using this thread to post about updates to my blog and general discussion pertaining to it.

So far, I've done reviews for Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures and Rome's much newer Masse Mensch Material. I plan to review both older albums and newer albums, as long as I feel that they should be heard.

Oh, and if you're not interested in my blog or these types of music, it's very easy for you to ignore this thread by not opening it and posting. Thank you. :)

Liked the review of Unknown Pleasures, mandatory listening indeed. I had a couple questions for you: first off, given that one of your reviews is a classic and the other a new release, do you anticipate any particular focus for your blog in terms of time period? Are you going to be digging up old gems, trying out new stuff, or just doing whatever the fuck you want?

Second question, I often hear Interpol mentioned as one of the best (or at least best-known) post punk bands around these days, and I like what I've heard of their material. What do you think of them? If you like them, might one of their albums be worthy of a review?

I will have to check out that Rome album.

But LOL at your profile saying "I'm a happy person", coz you seem like the grumpiest person on the forum most of the time.

Anyone who knows me well knows that I'm not always serious here. ;)

Masse Mensch Material is probably the best album that I listened to in 2008. His other music is also quality stuff. I also emailed Jerome Reuter, the guy behind Rome, a link to this review in case he'd like to read it.

Liked the review of Unknown Pleasures, mandatory listening indeed. I had a couple questions for you: first off, given that one of your reviews is a classic and the other a new release, do you anticipate any particular focus for your blog in terms of time period? Are you going to be digging up old gems, trying out new stuff, or just doing whatever the fuck you want?

Second question, I often hear Interpol mentioned as one of the best (or at least best-known) post punk bands around these days, and I like what I've heard of their material. What do you think of them? If you like them, might one of their albums be worthy of a review?

1. I don't plan to review albums from any specific time period. I plan to review albums that I think are particularly good and worthy of any attention that my reviews might get for them. I'm going to review some classics, obscure gems and newer albums as long as I think they fit the tone of my blog and the types of music that I'm hoping to review there.

2. Interpol isn't totally terrible, although I like to pick on Alter because he goes on about them endlessly in a kind of ridiculous fashion. Interpol sounds a lot like Joy Division mixed with The Chameleons in a blender, except that I don't really care for their lyrics and generally find that those two bands created much more diverse and satisfying songs that have more emotions and intelligence to them. Maybe that's just my opinion, however. There's a lot of new post-punk and art rock around nowadays, and I don't really follow the modern bands, although that could change if I heard any that I thought were doing something special.

I plan to do a review of The Chameleons' Script of the Bridge album, along with some other older post-punk groups like The Comsat Angels and Sad Lovers and Giants, so if you're interested in that type of music, keep an eye out for those ones.

Get into Oingo Boingo

Oingo Boingo is absolutely not the type of music that I'm reviewing here, although I definitely enjoyed every single song I've ever heard from them, and all of Danny Elfman's later work as well.

So is everyone making blogs now?

It seems like the cool thing to do now in days.

Fuck blogs fuck you and fuck what's cool.

You think you're cool and different now because you think sigs are for losers ?

...well

Fuck You!

I've just posted a review for The Chameleons' classic Script of the Bridge on the blog. Enjoy.

I like how you provide a bit of background information on the bands in your reviews. Also, I enjoy your writing style. The reviews are very informative and easy to digest.

If possible, I'd like to see reviews for The Smiths and The Sisters of Mercy. :)

I added a review for Biosphere's Patashnik, which is a classic album that fuses 90's house with cold, spacey electronic ambient music. Enjoy.

After taking a break, I've now added a review for Swans' The Great Annihilator, which is maybe my favorite album of all time.

http://songfordeadtime.blogspot.com/2009/02/swans-great-annihilator-1994.html

There might be interviews coming up if I can be bothered to contact certain musicians. Jerome Reuter of Rome seems like a likely first candidate, assuming that he's willing. He told me that he liked my review for Masse Mensch Material.

I bookmarked it for now since I don't have time to read any reviews atm, but with Joy Division, The Chameleons (nice!}, and Swans in the first six reviews, I imagine it's right up my alley :)