Song Structures

songs written in basic, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge usually are boring as hell.

Most of the stuff I write is just new part after new part. untill it sounds exactly how you want it to sound.

It's good to have at least SOME structure, but you want to vary the riffs and such so it's not so damn boring. Arrange it however you damn please, it doesn't really matter, but here's a good suggestion: (Keep in mind, I write prog, so my shit just might be way different then yours)

Intro
Verse
Chorus
Verse
Transition to interlude
Interlude
Transition with key change back to verse
Play the basic structure in a different key

That makes for a great epic, but again, your style might be WAY different then mine, but it's just a suggestion.

I kinda play different, but its up to the sound really man, Heres one of my sone layouts:

Intro-
Riff 1,
Riff 1 follow up,
Riff 1- riff 2,
Riff 2
Riff 2 follow up,
Riff 2-riff 1,
Chorus,
Solo,
Chorus,
Riff 3,
Riff 1,
Riff 1-2,
Riff 2-1,
Riff 3-2-1,
Intro,
Chrous.

I dont sit down and write music by scales and bars. I remember the most part and do tabs for the lyrics. Everything else i match together according to how it sounds, not any type of pattern.

Metallica's Saint Anger album is a good method for learning song writeing and how to put riffs together. IMO.

Slavematic Sound said:
Metallica's Saint Anger album is a good method for learning song writeing and how to put riffs together. IMO.
:lol: No, this is an example of how to write utter mince, and how not to dial in a guitar/drum sound

Structure wise it can vary really, you can either have:

Intro
verse
Bridge
Chorus
verse
Bridge
Chorus
Interlude (how ever many sections you want, or just an entire song if you are feeling epic)
verse
Bridge
Chorus

Etc etc etc. There really is no set method, and you dont even need the verse chorus repeat thing either, sometimes you can leave out a chorus as people expect it, or just have a 3 part song with a few repeating parts in each segment. Whatever you want really, as long as it doesnt end up sounding disjointed or like just another collection of riffs.