I think my full best-to-worst ranking for this album would be something like:

Necrophiliac
Crypts of Eternity
At Dawn They Sleep
Hell Awaits
Kill Again
Hardening of the Arteries
Praise of Death

The whole top 5 is 10/10 or borderline, though.

Reactions: Phylactery
My rankings:

The best:
At Dawn They Sleep, Crypts of Eternity and Kill Again.

The next tier: (only ever so slightly below)
Praise of Death, Hardening of the Arteries, Necrophiliac.

The least great:
Hell Awaits

That middle tier is so close that I couldn’t really decide between them. I went with “Necrophiliac” for my second vote on the day, but on another day it could have been different.

Reactions: CiG
‘at dawn they sleep’ is a genre peak for me. the pinnacle of coiled intensity, a masterclass in tension and release from the band who understood those things better than anyone else. ‘kill again’ is incredible too though.

Reactions: CiG and jimmy101
"pinnacle of coiled intensity":lol: it's literally the least intense song on the album, and i dont think that's an opinion either. But you usually always favor the more tame songs on each of these song survivor games so im not really surprised you favored it here.

ehh you usually favour whichever songs are the most fast and aggressive, which isn’t the same thing as intensity in my book. i’d rather not get into semantics though, let’s just agree that you lack my nuance and refinement.

Reactions: jimmy101
you’re right, i do often vote for the most accessible songs as weakest in these games. at dawn they sleep is pretty objectively the least accessible and most complex song on the album, along with crypts which you also don’t like. title track is the most accessible obvs.

There isnt a single track on this album i dont like. And lmfao @ At Dawn They Sleep being the "least accessible" or "most complex" song. Do you think mid-paced casual(in comparison to the rest of the songs) riffage is more accessible than songs that batter you over your head with facemelting riffs and demonic vocals? Your taste is literally built around pedestrian albums and songs, aka "WaindsCore".

i mean take one look at the list of voters here, and you'll see that my point is prettu much proven. You have the aussie simp duo, the nu-metal groovers and the sleep inducing black metal fans all voting for At Dawn They Sleep. While on the other side you have the most knowledgeable, high metal-IQ fans on this forum ;)

tenor.gif

'mid paced' lol, thanks for proving my point. composition doesn't matter, just measure the tempo brah. that second riff is the best on the album despite being mid-paced, and that song gets pretty fast and wild at the end in any case, made all the better by the tense build up. you know what batters you over the head with facemelting riffs? RiB, aka the mainstream's slayer album of choice. leave the more intricate stuff for intellectual elites like me and, uh, y'know, people from australia, i guess.

Whilst Tech may fail to hear it, At Dawn is quite complex in its own right. Just check out the odd drum beat in the opening stanza & the way they shift tempos during the song's climax.

My rankings...

1 Hell Awaits
2 At Dawn they Sleep
3 Praise of Death
4 Kill Again
5 Necrophiliac
6 Crypts of Eternity
7 Hardening of the Arteries

Reactions: Satanstoenail
My rankings...

1 Hell Awaits
2 At Dawn they Sleep
3 Praise of Death
4 Kill Again
5 Necrophiliac
6 Crypts of Eternity
7 Hardening of the Arteries
<3 Title track rules. Fuck the autists in here.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - Kill Again’s chorus is goofy. They way he screams “HOMICIDAL MANIAC!” is comical.

Yeah. It's by no means a bad song, but seems to be getting overrated by a lot of people here.

The title track is one of the most evil & energetic thrash songs ever written.