Song Title?

UndoControl said:
You want me to listen to the whole album and tell you exactly where Mikael makes mistakes? o_O

Well, yes. Because apart from those two you already mentioned, I really can't remember any other real mistakes he makes on that set. And as two relatively small mistakes don't really equal to several very bad mistakes as you claim, I'd like to know, where the rest of them are. Opinions are opinions, and I'm perfectly fine with that, but to make statements that are untrue goes beyond expressing one's opinion. IMHO.

What comes to Niklas' playing, I think the whole of Monochromatic Stains sounds far better on the DVD than it does on the album.

Overall, if the second Exposures CD weren't a copy of the audio-part of the Live Damage DVD, I might call it the most essential DT-album ever recorded. It is, without the slightest doubt, the best Dark Tranquillity live album ever recorded. IMHO.

(...and don't listen to a word Erik might say about the World Domination Live and Of Chaos and Eternal Night on that set...;))

-Villain

Which brings up a question I was wondering - it doesn't quite seem like the second CD is an 'exact' copy of the DVD audio. Like, there are certain song intros that seem a bit different (not really the music itself, but what Mikael says). This could all just be me though.

~kov.

UndoControl said:
The difference is that all i really care for are their songs (i don't buy a cd for the booklet or to have the original, i buy a cd if i can't download the songs or if i'm already at the store with the cd in my hand and enough cash to afford it). I don't mind having a burned cd; if it's in my cd player, to me it doesn't matter if it's the original or if it says "Verbatim" or "Samsung" all over it.

to me, the artwork on booklets matter as much as the songs, its a part of them and sometimes it can help you to get better into a cd + its always nice to have the lyrics on hand so you dont have to browse the internet to find them; and i always prefer to have the original cd when i really love a band... i mostly download songs to discover new things i had never heard before (so you dont lose a lot of money buying cds that finally are a piece of shit :) -happened to me before when i didnt have dsl and couldnt download :yuk:

Villain: Niklas’s mistake on “Monochromatic” isn’t that bad, granted (but it’s still kind of disturbing to me), but Mikael sounds horrible in “Hours”. I’d have to listen to the album carefully to find any other mistakes, but listening to it kind of quickly those two are the only noticeable ones. Okay, maybe i exaggerated just a bit when i said “several bad mistakes”. I should have said “a minor mistake and a terrible mistake.. plus some details that aren’t mistakes but which i hated in that cd”. I know that the fact that there were things i hated doesn’t make the album a bad one, but in my opinion they could have done way better (it’s the only time Tranquillity have really disappointed me, actually). What details that aren’t mistakes but are annoying to me am i talking about? Well, first of all i hated that out of nothing they stopped playing in the middle of “Zodijackyl” and then continued to play just as suddenly (the crowd in Krakow probably loved it, but i as a listener of the release hated it). Second, they skipped the initial part of “Insanity’s crescendo”, which is probably my favorite DT song, so you can see why i was annoyed at that. Third, the crowd has been shut out throughout every song (except when they stop playing in the middle of “Zodijackyl”) and only appears between songs. I don’t know about you, but to me half the excitement of going to a concert (or maybe even more than half) is the crowd (if all i want is to listen to DT, i can listen to them at home, and if all i want is to watch them play then all i have to do is play their videos on my computer). Finally, it’s not a good starter album. 8 out of 19 songs are from “Damage” and 4 are from “Haven”. “Projector” and “The gallery” each get two, and “The mind’s i” gets three (or two as well if you count “Zodijackyl” as being from “Enter”). There aren’t any songs from “Skydancer” and “Of chaos”. I understand that in a live show you’re going to play your newest stuff and not stuff that’s nine or ten years old, but if you’re going to release it then at least you could include a song or two from “Skydancer” and maybe three or four from “The gallery”, “Projector” and “The mind’s i” instead of 8 from “Damage”. IMO, anyway. Perhaps, as i said before, the amazing performance in “Lethe” and “The wonders” partially make up for all of that, but i still don’t consider it that great an album.

Dark Silence: Not to sound boastful, rather to make a point: when my internet connection is pretty fast, my web browser is just a click away and i have dark-tranquillity.nl with the correct lyrics bookmarked (as Diana van Tankeren says, "most, if not all, booklets have errors"), it's not that bad to have to browse the internet to find the lyrics.

UnDoControl: Yep, I agree with some of your notions. The set is indeed too focused on Damage Done, which was known well before the DVD was released. (Actually, it has been said the record-company people wanted to have all the pre-CM stuff removed from the set, so that they wouldn't have to pay royalties to Osmose.) The note from the band on the DVD-booklet reads: This release is not to be seen as a massive summary of our 14-year history, but rather as a snapshot of the touring activity in favour of our latest album(...) As such, I think it works very well.

The general lameness of the audience is a negative thing in my mind, although understandable due to the circumstances. As for the live-arrangements of Zodijackyl Light and Insanity's Crescendo, DT have been playing those songs like that for years already, so the thought that they should be played somehow differently never even crossed my mind. On the contrary, I truly like most of the changes they have made to the old songs for the live set. And I think Mikael sounds great on Hours Passed in Exile, even though he makes two small mistakes.

Kovenant84 said:
Which brings up a question I was wondering - it doesn't quite seem like the second CD is an 'exact' copy of the DVD audio. Like, there are certain song intros that seem a bit different (not really the music itself, but what Mikael says). This could all just be me though.

Yep, they have cut some parts from between the songs and added some audience-noices. I don't think there's anything else that is different (except from UnDo Control not appearing on the CD, of course).

-Villain

..But then, like somebody said and like we all know, we get "Undo control" live in "LTA". =)

Sorry, wouldn't know about how Tranq has played their songs live, never been to their shows... the only time they've come to Mexico since i "discovered" them (or, rather, since an ex-friend introduced me to them) was in june or july 2005 (don't quite remember) and the guy who was supposed to get tickets for me didn't... i was so pissed off... but then none of you care, of course...

UndoControl said:
..But then, like somebody said and like we all know, we get "Undo control" live in "LTA". =)

Sorry, wouldn't know about how Tranq has played their songs live, never been to their shows... the only time they've come to Mexico since i "discovered" them (or, rather, since an ex-friend introduced me to them) was in june or july 2005 (don't quite remember) and the guy who was supposed to get tickets for me didn't... i was so pissed off... but then none of you care, of course...
Well I care about dt coming over to both North and South America. As stated on their website, (and I'm paraphrasing) buying their albums do help the concert promoters an idea about how many fans are interested in dt's music. Of course, the more record sales of certain countries, the better chance of touring in that respected countries.

UndoControl said:
Villain: What are the circumstances under which the lameness of the audience is understandable to you?
???

Can you rephrase that question?

@Villain: Ah, thanks for the clarification. The spoken intro to Format C: For Cortex was one of the funniest things about the DVD, and I really missed it in the CD.

On the topic of songs that seem to be missing something when played live, a la Insanity's Crescendo and Zodijackyl (as Undo stated), it always made me a little sad that there was never a 'complete' [in my mind] live version of Hedon. They all miss that very cool growled/spoken bit at the end, and often just sorta jump around in the lyrics in general. I guess there's not much of a demand for it live anymore, but it's long been one of my favorite [if not the favorite] songs by DT, and the quality (sound-wise, not song-wise) of my TMI copy never quite gave it justice.

~kov.

The DVD was recorded in that Krakow place where every band that can't afford a better one go to, and it seems that generally the crowds there aren't too awesome.

What TheFourthHorseman said, plus the crowd was pretty damn small and apparently told "not to bother the recording" or something. That's really the worst thing about the whole DVD. I hope next time they'll have a live performance recorded in front of a usual DT-audience - loud and enthusiastic.

-Villain

I suspect there's some kind of rule for the Polish crowd about no moshing or stage diving for the filming of the DVD.