Songs that own your soul

Manbient

Queer Old Man
Jan 12, 2002
Calgary, AB, Canada
www.bumblelovesmusic.com
what songs are the ones that make your heart stop dead... the ones that make you unable to move. You know, those stunning songs that you feel actually forever changed you. Songs that bring about emotions so strong, you couldn't forget it if you tried... this applies to any emotion. People always talk about this in terms of sadness, but how about sheer beauty, happiness, or fearful songs as well?

Nick Drake - River man

Sting - I Burn for You

Anathema - Temporary Peace

The Cure - Plainsong

Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely

Depeche Mode - In Your Room

Mumblefood said:
what songs are the ones that make your heart stop dead... the ones that make you unable to move. You know, those stunning songs that you feel actually forever changed you. Songs that bring about emotions so strong, you couldn't forget it if you tried... this applies to any emotion. People always talk about this in terms of sadness, but how about sheer beauty, happiness, or fearful songs as well?

Personally, I don't believe such songs exist. I mean, songs that can have an impact like you describe.

as long as theres daft people out there who have to exaggerate everything, there'll be songs that make people incapable of movement

Kind_blumenwiese.jpg

I feel sorry for people who cant differentiate between sarcasm (aka the lowest form of humour) and cynicism (aka knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing)

"lowest", booohoooo

*covers in shame*

I went in a McDonalds restaurant the other day, with a definite takeaway plan, and I heard Enola Gay boosting, I forgot what I wanted to buy. Which was quite embarrassing, because I was the only customer in line.

But songs don't have that effect on me any more, I remember the feeling though, seeing Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights" first on tv, and remembering it for years before hearing it again and actually knowing who's the performer. Same with Supertramp's "Logical Song". These were the two I remember most. Then I started listening to music.

Bambi said:
I feel sorry for people who cant differentiate between sarcasm (aka the lowest form of humour) and cynicism (aka knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing)

hahahah, now you're smart... Cynicism is the doctrine of the ancient Cynics. It comes from the word dog btw. And the first cynics were great guys - Diogenes walked through Athens in broad daylight carrying a candle, saying that he was looking for the MAN. I'm studying philosophy and I know what I'm talking about. Sarkazein (greek) means to bite your lips in rage, haha.
Sarcasm is just a cutting remark, cynicism is a state of mind, an attitude of jaded negativity and distrust of others' beliefs.

and the saddest thing of all: of your own beliefs.

Old philosophy, so what? Aristotle said women are "lesser men" or "incomplete men", now fuck off with that. And I don't see your point now, is cynicism cool then or not?

Mistress also used to mean something more positive than today. Just another tiny example of linguistic shift.

And I'm a part-time tennis coach, so I know what I'm talking about.

Maqus said:
And I'm a part-time tennis coach, so I know what I'm talking about.

:lol:

Plato used to start his day with this: "Thank you God, that I was born a human and not a slave, a Greek and not a Barbarian, a man and not a woman" :Spin: Yet in his Symposium the smartest person is a woman. So their attitude to women is highly debatable.
Cynicism sucks. I'm a believer. :wave:

autumnsphere said:
hahahah, now you're smart... Cynicism is the doctrine of the ancient Cynics. It comes from the word dog btw. And the first cynics were great guys - Diogenes walked through Athens in broad daylight carrying a candle, saying that he was looking for the MAN. I'm studying philosophy and I know what I'm talking about. Sarkazein (greek) means to bite your lips in rage, haha.
Sarcasm is just a cutting remark, cynicism is a state of mind, an attitude of jaded negativity and distrust of others' beliefs.

and the saddest thing of all: of your own beliefs.

yeah and the greeks said that a certain large amphibious mammal was a horse, but you won't see any hippos in the grand national anytime soon, so bollox to the greeks says i o_O