Songs you listen to when you're down

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
Any of you have certain 'sacred' songs that pick you up when you're going through a rough time? Songs that seem to reach to the level you're at and make you feel a little better about yourself? Post them here.

Mine:
Dream Theater - Another Day
Dream Theater - Wait for Sleep
Iron Maiden - Lord of the Flies
Iron Maiden - The Educated Fool
Metallica - Orion

Sometimes I wish Blaze had been the predominant singer for Iron Maiden (at least for their later career), just because he has so much more sincerity in his voice than Di'Anno or Bruce typically do, and the material he did with Maiden sounds a lot more sober than all the wild-man, guts and glory stuff. Too bad most of the songs on the two albums he did suck. The good ones are fucking terrific, though.

Krohm-"The Haunting Presence" The whole album.
Danzig-"Goin Down To Die", "Tired of Being Alive", "Without Light I Am", "Black Angel, White Angel"
Lacrimas Profundere-"Adorer And Someone". Wonderful, beautiful song.
Alice In Chains-"Sludge Factory", "Rain When I Die", "Confusion", and many others.
In Flames-"Touch of Red"-I know no one likes "Soundtrack" but I do.
Chevelle-"Closure", "I Get It", "Mia"
Novembers Doom-all of "To Welcome The Fade"
Rotting Christ-"After Dark I Feel"
Smashing Pumpkins-"Today"
Vehemence-most of God Was Created and "You Don't Have To Be Afraid Anymore"
While Heaven Wept- all of Of Empires Forlorn, but mainly "Soulsadness" and "Voice In The Wind"

And always Katatonia. "Saw You Drown", "Strained", "Gateways of Bereavement", "Tonight's Music". Pretty much their entire catalog.

Lengsel - The Kiss, The Hope..the whole album pretty much, just a swirl of firmly hopeful, but totally hazy and utterly depressive blackened-post-rock-avante-garde..whatever. The riff on the first song crushes immensely.
Darkseed - Diving Into Darkness, the whole album, and also 'Cosmic Shining' from 'Give Me Light' and 'Biting Cold' from 'Ultimate Darkness'.
Queensrÿche - Rage For Order..entire album..
Pink Floyd - High Hopes, and almost all of the two Gilmour era albums.
Zao - The Funeral Of God...entire album
Dark - Seduction.. entire album
Antimatter - Everything You Know Is Wrong, and all of the first two albums
maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map...entire album
Vanishing Point - If Only I, Reason

..so I guess I more have whole albums, but those are listed because pretty much every song contained therein is special in that way..so..

Sometimes I wish Blaze had been the predominant singer for Iron Maiden (at least for their later career), just because he has so much more sincerity in his voice than Di'Anno or Bruce, and the material he did with Maiden sounds a lot more sober than all the wild-man, guts and glory stuff. Too bad most of the songs on the two albums he did suck. The good ones are fucking terrific, though.

Good to see someone else express admiration for Blaze every now and then. I like most of The X Factor, actually. I would also suggest you get Blood & Belief if you haven't already, it's the most personal/emotional of all his studio albums.

And always Katatonia. "Saw You Drown", "Strained", "Gateways of Bereavement", "Tonight's Music". Pretty much their entire catalog.

I only really like a handful of Katatonia's songs, the ones that really speak to me (Day, Relention, Tonight's Music, a handful more) but it's well worth listening through their discography just to find those few (very few songs speak to me on a personal level like my favourite Katatonia songs do) I like their other songs, I just don't really like them.

As for the subject... Well, I either listen to songs that are just as gloomy as myself (Katatonia, Warning) or something slightly more hopeful and uplifting (Dream Theater, Machinae Supremacy) depending on something I don't know for certain.

Either way, usually when I'm feeling depressed, I browse through my music folder, listening only to select songs I'm already familiar with. I usually don't bother with music I have yet to "learn" when I'm down.

Dream Theater - Wait For Sleep, Another Day, Surrounded, Learning to Live, A Change of Seasons, Misunderstood
Katatonia - Above mentioned songs
Blaze - Life and Death, The Hunger
Iron Maiden - Infinite Dreams
Machinae Supremacy - Super Steve, Player One, I Know The Reaper, Ghost, Kings of the Scene, Arcade, Attack Music, Hero, Earthbound, Masquerade, etc... about the only upbeat power metal I can stand while depressed.
Strapping Young Lad - Rape Song, S.Y.L, Love (only if I'm also feeling hateful and/or stressed)
Muse - Micro Cuts, Thoughts of a Dying Atheist
Warning - Watching From A Distance
...And Oceans - I Wish I Was Pregnant
Amorphis - Summer's End, The Way
Devin Townsend - Stagnant, Things Beyond Things, Deep Peace
Lifelover - Välkommen Till Pulvercity
Some various grunge

Depending on the brand of down I am. If I'm pissed I'll usually roll with some Devourment, Wormed, or other brutal death band...
But if I'm upset, I'll go with something like Soundgarden, Live, or Incubus.

I only really like a handful of Katatonia's songs, the ones that really speak to me (Day, Relention, Tonight's Music, a handful more) but it's well worth listening through their discography just to find those few (very few songs speak to me on a personal level like my favourite Katatonia songs do) I like their other songs, I just don't really like them.

I know what you mean. I say the entire catalog so I don't have to mention each specific song. No other band speaks to me in the same way. I love all their songs. But specific one's just get to me unlike any other music.

I know what you mean. I say the entire catalog so I don't have to mention each specific song. No other band speaks to me in the same way. I love all their songs. But specific one's just get to me unlike any other music.

I also think many of their songs that mean nothing to me might speak to others. Then there's a few of them that simply kick ass without really speaking to me (Saw You Drown, Black Session)

Good to see someone else express admiration for Blaze every now and then. I like most of The X Factor, actually. I would also suggest you get Blood & Belief if you haven't already, it's the most personal/emotional of all his studio albums.

Yeah, I need to check out some of Blaze's non-Maiden stuff. I'll definitely look around for that one.

One Maiden-Blaze song that I always thought was exceptional and would fit in pretty well with these is 'Virus', which I think is only on the 'Best of the Beast' compilation.

I also think many of their songs that mean nothing to me might speak to others. Then there's a few of them that simply kick ass without really speaking to me (Saw You Drown, Black Session)

"Saw You Drown" does nothin for you? Interesting. That's one of the stronger ones for me.

@Satans: Jeff Buckley is awesome.

Strangely I don't like listening to depressive metal when I'm down, rather I throw on some symphonic or industrial black metal, which elevates my mood. Anything with grandeur and bombast.