Soon I won't be able to buy a CD or DVD...

what hair? Maybe pit or ball / ass / grundle hair but not from your dome

:tickled::tickled::tickled:

Actually.... My hair has changed quite significantly from what it used to be like...

3277_90821766653_509676653_2494490_1639306_n.jpg

Obligatory joint.

:lol: :lol:

i am glad the OP has some clarity of thought on this.... illegal downloading is indeed the culprit, and it's become pandemic... the largest majority of music fans are not replacing CDs with purchased downloads... no, most are now just stealing.

and saying "things change" is a bit missing the point. yes, they do.... but in the past they always changed in a way that allowed music makers to continue to afford plying their craft.... wholesale theft will not facilitate the continuation of that type of change.

there will always be music, and there will always be good music. but when art is "democratized" like this, the pile of shit you have to sift through to find a gem becomes much, much larger.

things are going to take an even sharper downturn soon... many of you that would have otherwise been able to make a go of it will give up your music and production dreams because of it, and if you steal music rather than buying it, well then you've shot yourself in your own foot.

... and budgets continue to spiral downward.....

aren't my infrequent posts just a ray of sunshine?

:lol:

obviously "illegal downloading" has played a role in the decline of album sales... but that's not how artists have always made a living off their music. (using prince as an example).

i say that "things change" not to be dismissive. what i would like to elaborate is: record label business models stay the same while the world around them changes. we shouldn't blame people who steal music. we should blame the people who can't protect it from being stolen... and by putting a price on everything certainly does not protect it.

it should always be about the music... not the money. i would gladly sacrifice my "career" knowing that all musicians are more inspired by the music and not the money.

CD lovers stuck in 90s
No one wants piles of plastic junk anymore,when did you see someone with portable CD player around last time?

I blame the lack of cd stores in New Zealand on God (aka Mel Gibson). It is clearly punishment for the excessive amount of sheep scrumping that goes on their.

Plus the country is on the upside down part of the planet, so maybe the cd's just fell off through the hole in the ozone layer. And who made the hole in the ozone? Al fucking Gore.

Praise to the Gibson....for his beaver puppet has spoken.

obviously "illegal downloading" has played a role in the decline of album sales... but that's not how artists have always made a living off their music. (using prince as an example).

i say that "things change" not to be dismissive. what i would like to elaborate is: record labels' business models stay the same while the world around them changes around them. we shouldn't blame people who steal music. we should blame the people who can't protect it from being stolen... and by putting a price on everything certainly does not protect it.

it should always be about the music... not the money. i would gladly sacrifice my "career" knowing that all musicians are more inspired by the music and not the money.
this is exACTly the type of pollyanna platitude that you typically hear from those who have no career yet to sacrifice.... and who have actually no idea at all how signed bands make money, and/or where the recording budgets come from.

first of all, Prince can do what he does because he IS PRINCE... and he BECAME Prince off the back of the "old model", as you call it (never-mind that labels have universally embraced things like iTunes, etc.), that funded his recordings when he had no money, and promoted him via very expensive advertising, music videos, radio promotion, tour support, etc....

why don't you try to do what Prince is doing now with your band? guess what? millions of bands already are... just go check myspace, they're the only thing left on that POS site anyway, lol.. or Bandcamp. this has been said over and over here.. but how many bands are "making it" off this so-called "new model", eh? very very few get anywhere like that, and the few that do soon sign with labels.... is it because the label sent thugs to intimidate them to do so? no, no... much less sinister than that; they simply realized that they'd reached a brick wall, and would need help and financing to move beyond it.

the music business HAS changed.. and labels are indeed changing with it.... but i think your type is blind to it, because you're looking for some magical, instantaneous change, wherein awesome albums will be made and given away for free with no repercussions to the quality of the content. sorry, that won't happen... no, the labels are ALREADY changing, or at least trying to figure out how to, and experimenting in that regard... but good records don't get made for free, and they certainly don't get marketed for free... so the first, most obvious changes are coming in terms like this: tour support is gone, artist development is gone, budgets are slashed, staffs are cut, etc. etc....

...and yet bands still come knocking, because despite this "new wisdom" that guys like you seem to think you are somehow endowed with beyond those who have studied and practiced the business for years and changed with it as it has evolved, those with their boots on the ground still run into that brick wall, and WANT and NEED the lifeline that labels can provide them.

it doesn't work out perfect for every band, some bands just don't do well, that's the way the turd tumbles.... but 99.9% of the bands we all love and have the recordings of (legally or illicitly), have gotten to where they are with the financing and infrastructure of the labels that fund their albums and promotion.... live receipts DO NOT pay for recording or promotion budgets.

this magical model of "no labels, free music" has been attempted for several years now by hundreds of thousands of artists.... and that's even if you strip it down to the ones that are at least decent and/or good by most objective standards... and it has FAILED to do anything more than raise a few artists here and there up from obscurity, to a point high enough to realize that they need more help to get any further.

that's the reality... i do have a dog in this fight, so i'm sure that causes some who read this to feel i'm biased, and perhaps i am to a small degree, but i also have my boots on the ground in this struggle, and i'm a realist who intends to survive it.... so any bias i may have is tempered in that regard.

note: my use of ALL CAPS here and there is to indicate emphasis, not shouting.

CD lovers stuck in 90s
No one wants piles of plastic junk anymore,when did you see someone with portable CD player around last time?

CD lovers don't carry around portable CD players either... so you've shot your own argument in the foot... and you're totally ignoring the 800 lb. gorilla in the room: audio quality.

i have an iPod for listening out and about... on earbuds it really doesn't make as much difference, but at home i want to hear full resolution audio. period... and i don't want to lose it all if my hard drives die.

also, i don't really care about CDs per se.. just the audio quality, and that it be tied to a physical product with art and credits and lyrics.... and frankly, i'd rather be "stuck in the '90's if that means being stuck on music MEANING something more than disposable sound clips that are carried about as trendy accessories to a current fad, and disposed of just as easily.

CD lovers don't carry around portable CD players either... so you've shot your own argument in the foot... and you're totally ignoring the 800 lb. gorilla in the room: audio quality.

i have an iPod for listening out and about.. but at home i want to hear full resolution audio. period... and i don't want to lose it all if my hard drives die.

This...is exactly why CD's must not ever go away (or at least some physical form of non-compressed audio). I don't think I've ever agreed this strongly with Mr. Murphy.

i have an iPod for listening out and about... on earbuds it really doesn't make as much difference, but at home i want to hear full resolution audio. period... and i don't want to lose it all if my hard drives die.

also, i don't really care about CDs per se.. just the audio quality, and that it be tied to a physical product with art and credits and lyrics.... and frankly, i'd rather be "stuck in the '90's if that means being stuck on music MEANING something more than disposable sound clips that are carried about as trendy accessories to a current fad, and disposed of just as easily.

denzel_intro.jpg

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm not a big fan at all of MP3s. I can tolerate them, such as in my car on my flash drive, way easier than carrying all my CDs with me, not to mention the risk of having them stolen. I dislike MP3s to the point of wanting to go back and rip all my CDs into iTunes again as WAVs, but that would take a while.

Back on-topic, I think people need to open their eyes and think about what they're stealing and how they're validating their theft. It's one thing to steal things out of pure necessity, like food, but even then, there's a lot of social assistance and food banks that help with that kind of thing now, but music and other leisure items?

Come on, if you can't afford the price of CDs and DVDs I think it's a sign that you don't need them. Want versus need, just cause you WANT it doesn't mean you NEED it. No money = NO MUSIC/MOVIES.

Budgets for this stuff are freaking huge, and I know for damn sure that when I work, I want to be paid for it, volunteering is a different story, but I think everyone expects compensation for their efforts.

I'll go online and use GrooveShark to listen to some songs if I don't have the money to buy them right now, but if I like a movie or a CD, I always intend to buy it, and when I can't afford it, I go without. There's the possibility that the film and music industries will shit the bed, and that sucks, for everybody.

I didn't mention quality because it is obvious now,people don't want quality anymore.they want convinience.

as for minority who still listens to CDs... this is dated format.
Wouldn't you like 24/96? as a download or something like that?
Industry has failed to offer a replacement,why defending them?
Let it all die, and you know it's the only way,like it or not.

I didn't mention quality because it is obvious now,people don't want quality anymore.they want convinience.
and they're welcome to it... just don't try to impose an acceptance of worse quality on me, because i reject it.

as for minority who still listens to CDs... this is dated format.
Wouldn't you like 24/96? as a download or something like that?
Industry has failed to offer a replacement,why defending them?
Let it all die, and you know it's the only way,like it or not.

i "know" no such thing, and you are talking out of your ass. sorry... FYI, high quality downloads have been discussed in the idustry for some time, but there are many problems to overcome before that could become a reality.... they'd just be stolen, like everything else, for one.

you've clearly chosen to listen to mp3s and are happy with your choice.. more power to you... just don't think you can impose it upon me or anyone else. i didn't listen to cassettes back in the day either, thank you very much.

I think I'll always want my cds ... I have an iPod, love it but its for my car or plane trips etc ... home, I want the cd and I love having it and looking through the booklet, reading the lyrics, notes, thank yous, etc ...

as for whether I'm in the minority or not ... I know a lot of people. I would say 90% of them love their cds as much as me. That doesn't seem like the minority to me and even if it is in the big scheme of things and compared to like the population of the city .. I still don't give a fuck, I want and love my cds

I don't believe anyone said it's a bad time for music. However, it IS a bad time for the music industry, which includes quite a few people, including many people on this board, not just the artists.

People just need to get over the fact that there isn't a big chance to make money with music anymore.
Everyone can create it, everyone can have it. Very capitalist thinking everywhere. It's not a bad time for music. Music is everywhere.
It's just a bad time for the people who want to / need to earn their money with music.

While I can't help but somewhat agree, the other issues (as were mentioned) are that the production will suffer, and so will the promotion/marketing; it's hard enough wading through all the shit music out there; without any promotion, it'll become a full-time job.

And while I may be reaching a bit with this one (just kinda thinking out loud here), I would go so far as to suggest that if people realize they have almost no chance of their music rising above the rest (because of lack of any promotion/marketing budgets), they'll get discouraged, give it up, and we'll just constantly have new, immature songwriters self-releasing stuff before they get discouraged and move on, with very few really sticking with it to hone their craft; things could become very disorganized and kinda half-assed sounding, with very few really high-quality efforts coming out, both in terms of production and also songwriting.

However, I also should mention that I count myself among those who couldn't care less about the album art, booklet, etc., the music is all that matters to me - however, that doesn't mean I treat is as a disposable trendy fad, I just don't care about the rest, and never really have (if I want the lyrics I'll google 'em :D). And while it is a very valid point that CD's are the least volatile storage medium compared with any magnetic-disk or flash memory, that's what burners are for...and as for quality, with bandwidth as it is, I would have no problem downloading stuff in it's full uncompressed format.

Again, just musing, don't crucify me :saint:

@ Wutzington... i already made the point that music is and will continue to be made and given away for free, and that some of it will be quite good... thing is, none of us are really listening much, despite a MASSIVE supply, to any home-made music that's given away for free RIGHT NOW, so how can one speculate that this type of thing could ever be at the heart of any kind of "future model"??... no, we are all pretty much listening to music that has been produced to high quality and at high expense... signed bands on labels... and doing so overwhelmingly. So as a culture we are saying one thing and doing another, while cheating the content providers AND deluding ourselves about the whole affiar in some kind of weird display of mass, culture-level sociopathy... all trends cannot be rendered benign by anointing them as "cultural"

I don't mean to crap on all the young kids, being that I'm not very old to begin with, I'm 23, but it seems like most people younger than I am, and some of the same age are pretty ignorant to variations in audio quality. I understand that there are a lot of people out there with completely untrained ears or very little understanding of music, tone and all such things, but I still find it annoying.

It's really sad to see that most teens and people in their 20s are oblivious to how crappy compressed audio sounds compared to CDs. I blame iPod docks, earbuds, terrible mastering habits, the loudness war and ignorance. Not to mention how loud some people listen to their music, if I can hear your music on the bus and I'm wearing isolating earbuds listening to my own iPod, IT IS TOO LOUD. Actually, it would be far past too loud, probably somewhere in the vicinity of a stadium concert's SPL being pumped straight into your head.

@Marcus: I can agree with the whole lyrics booklet and case to an extent. I don't keep my CDs in the jewel cases anymore, I don't have a decent place to keep all those cases stacked up, so I have a couple CD binders instead, but the CD itself I still enjoy. I'd be ready to jump on the iTunes bandwagon if they would offer WAVs instead of MP3s or whatever "lossless" file format it is that they're pushing. Their prices are right, but the quality isn't.