Sorrowful/melancholic but not depressing/bleak

paul545

Jul 2, 2010
North Carolina
Probably thinking doom metal. Looking for something that conjures a similar to feeling to While Heaven Wept or maybe Warning... Something that is sad and mournful but not so much bleak or depressing in the way DSBM is.

I'm not the best person to reply to this but since no one else did;

Pallbearer gets more comparisons to Warning than any other band I've seen, never really got into them myself but it might be your thing;

Scald is very mournful and several of their songs have funerary themes. Basically canonized on this site though so you might've heard them

Harvey Milk is completely unpalatable to many metalheads but "A Small Turn..." is one of few albums I find pack the same emotional punch as WFaD.

On the more experimental side of things;

Lastly, though not exactly doom metal I can't not mention The Chasm when they write songs like this:

Reactions: paul545
Maybe the first two releases by The 3rd And The Mortal (their debut EP "Sorrow" and their first album "Tears Laid In Earth")

or, in a similar vein, Skumring's only album:

Reactions: paul545
I'm not the best person to reply to this but since no one else did;

That Chasm song is one of my favourites, great rec. Is it weird that it impacts me more on an emotional level than anything from Watching From a Distance? I do like WFaD, but maybe not as much as a lot of people here.

Probably thinking doom metal. Looking for something that conjures a similar to feeling to While Heaven Wept or maybe Warning... Something that is sad and mournful but not so much bleak or depressing in the way DSBM is.

This one is long but absolutely worth the journey.

So many bands fit this description; Insomnium, October Tide, Slumber, The Foreshadowing, The Vision Bleak, Moonspell, a lot of Devin Townsend's early stuff, etc. I don't particularly find many of the above posted songs sorrowful, but my tastes are different. No, the best that would fit this description has to be Kauan: Sorni Nai. An unbelievably mournful, melancholic record with rays of hope shining at unexpected moments that emit waves of promise and trust, keeping the album from being depressing.

Last edited: