Bands with a great sense of atmosphere

Perdition's Light

dinosaur jr.
Apr 5, 2004
I'm for bands with a magical or enchanting style, not something that is simply brutal or evil-sounding. Something sorrowful or ethereal but not over the top top in a gothic sense.

examples:

The Chasm
Aeternus
Drudkh
early Rotting Christ/Varathron
Negura Bunget

none of those bands have much in common musically, but the unique effect they have is a similar one, a feeling of being in another (pardon how lame this sounds) "realm"

what I'm not looking for:

stuff like Shape of Despair, My Dying Bride, Swallow the Sun, other "gothic" or simply overwrought stuff like this.

that's all that really comes to mind at the moment. I'm sure I could think of a couple more examples but my brain is not functioning right now and sleep is imminent. Sorry I couldn't be any more specific.

Phlebotomized
Eucharist
Necromantia
Master's Hammer
Summoning
Cadaver
Mindrot
Saturnus
Ceremonium
Sacramentum
Vinterland
early Bethlehem
Ved Buens Ende
In the Woods...
early Samael

non-metal
Puissance(must hear)
Dead Can Dance
Triarii
Arcana
Chaostar
Ice Ages
Elend ( don't really like them that much, but many people with similar tastes to yours praise them a lot)

I'm pretty sure you know most of these already though.

Thou Art Lord (through Eosforos)
Zemial
Agatus
Kawir
Hail
Xibalba
Divine Eve

I'm familiar with several of the bands posted, but overall there's a lot here to check out, thank you. Of course if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd be interested in those as well.

Death metal may not be what you're looking for but Molested's Blod Draum--and to a lesser extent Stormvold--has very rich, potent atmospheres.

I'm going to say Pagan Altar, though it's not at all similar to everything else mentioned, and you probably already know them.

Phlebotomized
Eucharist
Necromantia
Master's Hammer
Summoning
Cadaver
Mindrot
Saturnus
Ceremonium
Sacramentum
Vinterland
early Bethlehem
Ved Buens Ende
In the Woods...
early Samael

non-metal
Puissance(must hear)
Dead Can Dance
Triarii
Arcana
Chaostar
Ice Ages
Elend ( don't really like them that much, but many people with similar tastes to yours praise them a lot)

I'm pretty sure you know most of these already though.

Good post man,,,

I'll throw melechesh out there

Dawn - Nær Solen Gar Nider For Evogher
Belenos - Errances Oniriques
Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulee
Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes
Enslaved
Forgotten Woods - The Curse of Mankind
Graveland - Thousand Swords
Wolven Ancestry

In case for some reason you don't have this, In The Nightside Eclipse by Emperor...brutal music, but really atmospheric synth..classic symphonic black metal or whatever they're calling it now...

nocternity(grc) (somewhat similar to the ruins of beverast i feel), good stuff.