Albums with atmosphere/imagery

Oinkness said:
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing... makes me feel like I am dancing in the hospital with an iPod on, while people are dying in the rooms but I dont care cause I am having fun like an little emo girl. :)
:zzz: how appropriate.

I cant think of much atm but the middle bit of By the Pain I See in Others has the strongest imagery ive ever experienced in a song: i feel like im in a haunted theme park. its weird but fuckin cool at the same time.

Also amon amarth conjure images of viking battles for me as you would expect, especially the actual song 'amon amarth' and its battle scene.

ill try to think of more and come back later

Deceased - Fearless Undead Machines.
This concept album is all about zombies. If you're into that kind of thing, or just want to hear some kickass thrash-ish/death metal, check these guys out, they're really good. metalllllllllllllllll.

Scholomance "A Treatise on Love" ~ epic fucking (I'm talking sex!!!), cold deep woods and barren icey windy wastelands.

Virgin Black "Elegant...and Dying" ~ doomed romance, mourning, questioning faith and walking through graveyards.

Frostmoon Eclipse (anything) ~ wilderness, wildlife, dark forests. This is cool melodic bm with great acoustic guitar intros on many songs.

Moorsorrow "Verisakeet" ~ epic nordic wilderness, viking metal, etc.

My Dying Bride is great dark romantic twisted death/doom/goth metal.

Vrykolakas said:
Isn't there a pirate metal album sung by a fucking parrot? hahaha

Hatebeak.

hatebeak.jpg

Mumblefood said:
I'm telling you guys, check the link i posted. And burn the bitch to CD and listen to alone in the dark. Images will come, and feelings will pour. IT IS THE ONLY WAY MY CHILDREN
Whoops I was gonna post about that after I listened to it. It's good and I had my first nightmare since I could ever remember...not sure if it was a coincidence or not but I'll have to try it again soon (was going to but my comp was messed up all week).

Anyways, I usually put music on overnight because it helps me fall asleep better + I like to listen to things before bed anyways... Although usually I put on stuff like prog or opera music for sleeping. So anyways, I put your mix on and started listening while laying alone in my bed in the dark... great atmosphere and all but not some holy experience as you described(hehe). I remember a scream half way through the first CD scared the crap out of me :)

I fell asleep soon afterwards and after waking up can recall having a pretty bad dream of tons of little red ants crawling all over my room and on me while I slept. I can also remember hearing some fucked up/scary noises in the dream which I presume were from the music. It's pretty strange because I hardly ever remember any of my dreams, much less remember having a nightmare of some sort.
Oh and the ants are a personal thing because I used to live in an appartament where a bunch of those ants would always eat food left around in the kitchen, and it used to disgust me quite a bit.

I'll try it again soon and post back if anything happens...

haha, well that's pretty sweet :) and do try again, it might not be as amazing to you as me, but i keep turning people on to this thing and they're all like WTF MATE because if fucks with their head... hehe...

oh, and the second disc is maybe the more "moving" (in a more familiar way than the first disc is), though both are designed to be heard in succession.

ok, i know it's wrong to gloat, but really none of this is my music, i just arranged it, so whatev. :p here's a couple reviews some people sent to me about it. Oh, and

SPOILERS

if you don't want to know what it's about before you listen.

ok, where to start...

i cant really define how i feel after listening to this.

at first, it felt quite lethargic, slow and beautiful, almost like a dream unfolding infront of
you, but not actually being able to see what was happening. the mood shifted quickly and became
quite melancholy and sad, i felt a few tears welling up at one point.after this it became much
heavier, much darker and much more of an experience than a cause of feelings. it surpassed emotion
or feeling and tapped into something far more primal, something i had never seen before. it was
like i had my fears from my childhood placed infront of me, i started to remember nightmares i
had long forgotten. it was disturbing and terrifying, i could actually feel how i used to feel
when i experienced the nightmares i used to have. it felt like i was out of control, i felt
vulnerable and lost. i was scared and lonely, but not in a way i could describe. but when i
tried to remember what it was that i feared, i couldnt remeber. it was like i had hidden the
cause of the fear but i could still feel it there, something so dark i didnt want to remember
it. after this things became strange again, and fear turned to sadness, yet the loneliness stuck
with me. i cried, no, i wept for all the people i had lost and for how much i had changed over
the last few years. i remembered people i hadnt thought of in years, i remembered everything i
had forgotten or had made myself forget. i cried for all those people i had mistreated and let
down. but then my feelings changed again, i became aware of who i am, and that i am a product of
who i was. we are one in the same and i can be who i want to be. i know this is all sounding very
silly, but i cant really describe how i felt in any other way...i came to accept everything i had
just thought of and everything i had just remembered, like it was a part of me whether or not i
wanted it to be. its almost as if this piece of music (or whatever you want to call it) exposed
who i was; my hopes, my fears, my hate and my love. it truly showed me what it was to be me and
showed me how to accept myself for i am. it was almost a spiritual feeling, something i couldnt
control but at the same time i was the one who was causing it. this truly is more than a musical
experience, this will truly expose who you are, who you believe yourself to be. i dont even know
if this is possible, but it has happened, and i am amazed at the power of music.

and another

I didn't make it. I lasted for 50 minutes through the first part, but I couldn't take it. I'm
ashamed. I'm going to attempt the second part some other time.

If you don't want "spoilers" don't read this.

That was incredible. First, tears were welling up in my eyes. I'm not sure what I was feeling,
but later when the backwards acoutic guitars came in, and then the clarinet (maybe?) played over
the top, I don't know what came over me. This amazing feeling, as if I was going to have a fit or
start having convulsions. My god, I'm not sure if I'll ever feel that feeling again but I damn
well hope I do.

Next came the part that broke me. It was terrifying. The screams, the pain, the monologues...
In my mind I could see demons. It was terrible. I could see them growing, with their flesh
bubbling as they kept expanding. The voices were horrific. The music was so brooding, it kept
building up to a climax that never came. The stories the people were telling were terrible,
accompanied by screams of pain and terror, from murder and torture. Then I heard low, demon voice,
talking in some different language. I swear it could have been the devil. As the voice lets out
one last scream, the choir builds around his scream. This was when I knew I had to stop. The choir
kept building and the fear escalated. I stopped my iPod, then came straight on here to type my
memories and feelings while they are fresh.

I was actually sweating through the terrifying part, and now I'm cold.

So far, Mikey, it's amazing. The passion at the start blew away, but the terror which follow
smashed me into pieces. I'm sorry I couldn't finish it. I'll try harder for the next part.

Keep in mind that these guys listened to it the way i told them to, alone, in complete darkness. That's the key to it all, it's not meant for "day time" or when you've got other things on the go distracting you. It'll prolly suck if you listen then. hehe.