The Moonlapse Vertigo appreciation thread

Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
Inspired by the underrated thread and my observation that there hasn't been one dedicated to this song in recent memory...it is a brilliant song, out of the last two albums I feel that this best incorporates Opeth prog and jazz influences, and it does have the atmosphere of a cloud shrouded forest at nightfall...

I love the first clean-section, where he sings over.

When the drums come in and they are following the guitarline rather than just keeping the beat... that is nutes!!

Cool vox too...

Great thread...!!

It's the track I play for people who have never heard Opeth before. The contrast from soft-heavy vocals is stellar and that second riff - pure beauty in music. The jazzy midsection and the midpoint pause thereof rule. I am a Moonlapse Vertigo fan, it cannot be denied.

...although i must admit, the intro took a while to get into, it is DAMN long... but now i love it. The first few times i heard it i was like "uh... ill skip this song, ill come back to it later when i have more time"

It's an awesome song. I especially love the ending, very much like the ending to Demon of the Fall. "I turned away my eyes..."

One factoid about it: It's the simplest song (excluding the ballads) on SL; ie, it has the fewest riffs etc. That's a fact, Jack!

Something we agree on, Demonspell! :D

I LOVE when the acoustic comes in over the electric in the opening. I get chills literally every single time I listen to it.

And it's got sentimental value -- they opened with it at the Milwaukee Metalfest, first time any of us saw them in the States. I got tears in my eyes when they opened with that, because it was so amazing to hear this music that, up until that point, was so intensely private and personal to me.

I can sympathise with E V I L to some extent as the haunting vocals at the end definately stir my emotions, much like Demon.

I've asked this question a few times, but had very poor response. Lina, perhaps you can help me. What are Opeth like live? I've seen the bootlegmania clips and was blown away in how they're able to keep true to the sound live...though a few first hand experiences would be appreciated.

Boy, this is a big topic -- I feel a lot of responsibility answering this question! Everyone else chime in please. :)

I've seen them three times.

The first, at the Metalfest, they were sloppy. The vocals were a little unsure. They themselves admit they don't rehearse much. But it was such a thrill to see them that it hardly mattered.

The second time was at a local club with Nevermore. It was damn near flawless. In fact, I heard no flaws, but there must have been some. ;) They were miked perfectly. Every single song was perfection -- just not long enough, of course. About 45 minutes.

The third time was at the same club a month later with Amorphis. That time was actually rather disappointing. They were miked poorly -- what a difference that can make! Couldn't hear Mikael very well. And they were a bit sloppier that time.

As for logistics, I couldn't tell you what gear they used. I don't know much about that stuff. Hopefully someone else can tell you. They don't use acoustic -- instead, substituting clean. So obviously it's not as finessed as the recordings, but it's still Opeth, if you know what I mean.

Originally posted by Lina
And it's got sentimental value -- they opened with it at the Milwaukee Metalfest, first time any of us saw them in the States. I got tears in my eyes when they opened with that, because it was so amazing to hear this music that, up until that point, was so intensely private and personal to me.

:cry: thanks, now I remember the concert I couldn't make. I'll have to hold the tickets in the morning now:cry: I saved them - a touch once and a while makes me feel a wee bit closer to them live.:)

I love this song, especially the first part. I love how Mike changes between soft vocals and detah growls, it all flows so well... Mike's vocals on this song are my favourite of all.

Beauty, a space of warmth with hints of a cold, bitter retreat here and there, short and fleeting, hidden between the corners, then more pronounced towards the end, like a precursor for the drama that follows "Face of Melinda".

Notice the little intricacies in composition: how the rhythmic motif of three accented drum-hits gradually shifts from the riff's beginning the riff's end, as the song progresses; how the final riff is a variation on the chorus riff, and so on. A masterwork.

D Mullholand

Originally posted by Lina
Something we agree on, Demonspell! :D

I LOVE when the acoustic comes in over the electric in the opening. I get chills literally every single time I listen to it.

Wow, I know Exactly what your refering to lina! This and To Bid You Farewell are the only Opeth songs that provoke those kinds of reactions in me. I actually get light headed and a little dizzy at various parts in this song. And for some obscure reason I just love that love that little 'double-back' thingy Lopez does during the fade out at about 8:35.

Does anyone besides me think that Moonlapse has one of the longest 'endings' of any songs...? When I listen to it I reckon the ending starts at 6:28 not 7:15 and just keeps on goin' through to the 9 minute mark.