Albums with atmosphere/imagery

nattens madrigal's being recorded in the forest is fan fiction. and you guys dont know the rest of the story? haha it's really funny:

well now, after two successful albums, ulver is ready to record their third album which is gonna be pure black. they've got some money in their hands but instead of using it on an expensive studio, they decide to record it themselves in the forest...which brings the expenses next to nothing hahaha.

so what do they do with the money in their hands? they buy that flashy car you see in the william blake album sleeve hahahahaha

I find albums conjour up memories. If I listen to an album at a certain time that album brings back memories of that time. Or say if I read a book whilst listening to an album I remember the book when I listen to the album and vice-verca.

Dreadful said:
I have not heard Morrigan up until you mentioned them, but I just now went on soulseek and started downloading "Plague, waste and death." It's cool that you enjoy black metal as well as death metal of sorts because alot of my friends are just "jean" type of guys when it comes to metal. Basically only death, thrash, classic...which is totally fine as we all have tastes. They all have their selective bands like summoning, dissection, dark throne...but nothing too into black metal territory. I mean come on...who in the hell could say something like Summoning sucks when you're stoned out of your mind? sober even

Morrigan = fantastic Bathory worship. "Celts" sounds more like Bathory than Bathory themselves.

Metal has such a huge range, it's stupid to limit yourself to only 1-2 styles or even bands. I've explored black metal for pretty much all it's worth in terms of modern kvlt bands and releases, currently going back over what I missed (Enslaved for example, kick arse). But you're damn right... Summoning slays.

Man, you guys rock. This is a great thread topic. I have only little music that appeals to me in that manner, most recently I have been listening to Aggalloch, Isis, Opeth, the new Enslaved, because to me they are atmospheric and ambient. I love this sort of msuic, and thank you all for your recemmondation. I'm definately going to do some internet searching for puprchasing some of them cd's. I look forward to checking them out.

All Opeth albums evoke a strong sence of Autumn to me, to the extent that I even dub their unique style of Metal as Autumn Metal. A lot of the bands sudgested here are superb (Especially Enslaved, Opeth and My Dying Bride); my picks would be (Band: album: atmosphere):

...And Oceans: Cypher: Postfuturistic, cold, mechanical
Strommoussheld: Behind the Curtain: Cosmic, unreal, postfuturistic
Detrimentum: Dominus Detrimentum: Tortured, Baroque
Limbonic Art: anything: Mystic, Bleak, Phantasmal
Sear Bliss: Anything: Astral, Natural, serene
Rotting Christ: Genesis: Gothic

Sonic Youth--Daydream Nation

Truly evocative (and hauntingly beautiful) atmosphere of an urban wasteland. I visualize rundown buildings in New York..."there's burned trash in my hall and my place is ripped, I totalled another amp I'm calling in sick".

And "The Sprawl" lifts you above the city where everything you see is unnatural.

Mithras - Worlds Beyond the Veil

Listen to it the whole way through........it's amazing!!! Listen to "They came and you were silent" for a sample of the album.

spigot said:
hahaha this thread is GAY.
stfu.jpg

Shadow_Island said:
Mithras - Worlds Beyond the Veil

Listen to it the whole way through........it's amazing!!! Listen to "They came and you were silent" for a sample of the album.

Yeah that album Kicks ass, The Instrumentals are just amazing, almsot ambient Death Metal, very spacey and surreal

Also all of you who haven't cheek out Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God... One of the darkest, bleakest albums you'll ever here. Indeed BAN are IMHO the best hope for the future of Black Metal

Well I liked this thread so much that I started one up in another forum that I frequent, which, for the most part, has pretty intelligent and well spoken members.

The first and only reply to my thread was:

hmm..

I was thinking the American Idiot Album By Green Day..
I donno, just the words in most of their songs in that album are about Hymms, and Jesus of Suburbia and stuff like Biblical but Urban, its weird its like the bible in the present, Its weird..

Someone please talk me into not flaming the sweet living shit out of him. Liking Greenday is just fine and dandy, but how anyone could consider it "atmospheric" is fucking beyond me.