Albums with atmosphere/imagery

Baletempest said:
Also all of you who haven't cheek out Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God... One of the darkest, bleakest albums you'll ever here. Indeed BAN are IMHO the best hope for the future of Black Metal

I disagree. If black metal continues in this spacey-industiral direction, then the future includes a lot of yawning.

TWWTG does have a very creepy ambient side to it, most notably in "Procession of Dead Clowns" and the second half of "Our Blessed Frozen Cells", and there are some realy terrifying moments in the first couple of songs, but the album drones too much and never realy goes anywhere. To make matters worse, the new MCD "Thematical blah blah blah" doesnt have a single song worthy of calling a song. It's just industrial ambient, and there's even a techno song in there. Feels like 5 tracks of filler.

It's a shame that BAN don't continue the tradtion of changing their style/sound entirely with each release, as they used to. Ultima Thulee is still a masterful creation which depends less on creepy sounds and more on building up powerful moments. But I'll definitely be interested to hear their next full length, "MoRt", which should be released later this year.

Décadent: Well each to his own, personally this is not my absolute faveroite style of BM myself, my faveroite style is the Raw guitars/Bass/Drums/vocals with tonnes of synths style (ie. Limbonic Art, early Emperor, Sear Bliss) which is actually not that common (most synth heavy BM is just too melodious). The future of BM debate can wait for another thread but just to clarify my comment basicly I'd rather this than the rising fad of "kvlt, NS, Elite" recycled Darkthrone/Burzum garbage thats more image than atmosphere.

cthulufhtagn: Very much so Singer of Strange songs is one of the best BM songs I've ever encountered (the middle/closong riff is just one of those riffs that I'll adore forever)

anyhow back on topic: Skepticism are a damn awesome Funeral Doom band, if you've not heard them then check out their newest album Farmakon, its just sublime. Full of dark, foreboding and utterly sorrowful hymns that conjour up images of moonless nights in the dead of winter. Its super slow but so rich and deep that you really should give it a shot. http://www.farmakon.com

Baletempest: from your interests, I'd hope you've checked out "...and Oceans", which seems right up your alley. As for the future of BM debate... I still say it's too early to call. As far as the "scenes" are concerned, it's all but dead. Good riddance, quite frankly.

Décadent said:
Baletempest: from your interests, I'd hope you've checked out "...and Oceans", which seems right up your alley. As for the future of BM debate... I still say it's too early to call. As far as the "scenes" are concerned, it's all but dead. Good riddance, quite frankly.

I feel very very stuid for having forgotten ...AO (I reccomended Cypher on this thread even), they're one of my 5 all time faveroite bands and I love everything they've ever done. Oh and as for the "scene"...I'm with you 100% its dying on its arse and none to soon

Killer stuff. ...AO never realy appealed to me, but it seemed like good stuff none-the-less.

Also, since you brought up doom earlier on, it's probably worth mentioning that I've been checking out some funeral doom, mainly in Skepticism, Funeral and Evoken (thanks to NFU for the recommendation). But the funeral stuff doesnt realy do much for me... maybe it's a mood thing. It's not the speed, either, because I'm currently worshipping bands like Sunn O))), Earth and Boris.

But seriously, the file i linked is it :p

to mention actual albums,

Raison D'Etre - The Hidden Hallows
Yen Pox - New Dark Age
Caul - Hidden
Godspeed You Black Emperor - F#A# Infinity
Elend - Winds Devouring Men
Arvo Part - Alina
Stars Of The Lid - Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid
Ulver - Predition City

Mumblefood said:
But seriously, the file i linked is it :p

After a little googling, I found your post on the Coheed and Cambria forums regarding that. I've decided to give it a shot (sometime soon, hopefully), but my lack of CD-Rs and the uncommonness of having ~2.5 hours to spare aren't helping. When I do get around to it, I'll make sure to let you know what kind of impression it left on me.

excellent. if you read through that thread later on, you see that one person DOES have the kind of experience i intended, and that i have. It seems not many people do though, so don't get your hopes too high... but i sure hope it affects you on some profound level. It DOES require absolute darkness and complete solitude though.

Also: do not discriminate against me for posting on that forum. :p I started as a troll, and then stuck around because i found a few people who actually DID like good music.

Mumblefood said:
excellent. if you read through that thread later on, you see that one person DOES have the kind of experience i intended, and that i have. It seems not many people do though, so don't get your hopes too high... but i sure hope it affects you on some profound level. It DOES require absolute darkness and complete solitude though.

Also: do not discriminate against me for posting on that forum. :p I started as a troll, and then stuck around because i found a few people who actually DID like good music.

Yeah, I was a little worried after seeing it on a Coheed and Cambria related site (not really my cup of tea, to say the least), but you've eased my doubts.

Very interesting thread, alot of great bands mentioned.

Anyways, I believe no one has mentioned 'In the woods'.
The album 'Heart Of Ages' is one of my favorite albums at the moment.

Opeth - Orchid... Always made me think of more than one image.. Like about a guy who fights in a colosseum or something for his woman, but he almost dies... but then somehow he wins at the end. Thats what I always thought of.

Morningrise - This one made me think of a really sad guy who loses someone he loves, and then he's really sad.. and around the time of BRI, its like he gets so overly depressed that he just wanders aimlessly into the forest, seeing many things on his way through (like the cover art I guess, and he sees crows and stuff flying around) Then on the last song, he accepts the death of his loved one..

My Arms, Your Hearse always made me think of green, because the CD looks black sometimes but its actually dark green, haha... You have to let the sun shine on it to see it's real color I think. err it always made me think of a dead guy who was sort of 'lingering' at the place where he died, and he would try to interact with his wife(?) but she thought he was haunting her but all he wanted was to just be with her again..

Black water park makes me think of going really fast. Like in a boat. A movie boat-chase scene. nuff said. Except for that one song that starts out mellow and gets into the low growls, it reminds me of like satan beating on the little people (its calm, then it gets intense, then it becomes very calm and quiet again)... I always think of deadly badgers when I listen to BWP, THANKS GUYS!!1

Oh wait, I missed Still Life.... It's my favorite. The first time I heard it, I thought it was made like 50 years ago or something and I have always had this feeling of oldness when I listen to it... A guy who is hunted down, etc.. o.o? I know the words to Still Life so I probably just know what the words make it out to be, rather than seeing flipped out imagery!

Deliverance reminds me of being near water! Maybe a shark attack or something lol.. So the basic image is near water.. And for some reason I think of machines.. o_O

Damnation makes me think of my family, like my grandparents and such.... and them dying.. :(

Ensiferum - Iron makes me think of being out west. :) That's not an opeth one but I just added it because it's hilarious. The guy on the cover with the horse and a sword, yet the music reminds me of being in the west with guns and cowboys and stuff!

Oinkness said:
Black water park makes me think of going really fast. Like in a boat. A movie boat-chase scene. nuff said. Except for that one song that starts out mellow and gets into the low growls, it reminds me of like satan beating on the little people (its calm, then it gets intense, then it becomes very calm and quiet again)... I always think of deadly badgers when I listen to BWP, THANKS GUYS!!1

QUOTE]

Haha boat-chase, I love it

Yes yes, I was being spontaneus!! Wooooooo!!!!111

Actually I don't know if you guys know this, but this is the Opeth forum.... I'm not going to go off and start reviewing N*Flaymz CDs on a mad imagery rampage!

I started with the core!

You want me to continue?!!? GRAB YOUR BOWELS!!! (so they dont fall or something)

Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design makes me think of being in abig scary house with someone trying to kill me, and they have a scary black metal voice. :( Please don't hurt me, blakkheim :(

Kotipelto - Coldness... makes me feel like im in a big grassy field! :D

Spongebob Squarepants the movie OST : makes me feel like I am in bikini bottom (i've never been on OR in one... so this is as close as i get)

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth: does a pretty good job of making me feel like I am in battle, with metal weapons and armors, horses and such around... and then all the warriors break into song and dance. It's funny! lol.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing... makes me feel like I am dancing in the hospital with an iPod on, while people are dying in the rooms but I dont care cause I am having fun like an little emo girl. :)

Forest Stream - Tears of mortal solitude... makes me feel like I am at an evil carnival or something.

LAstly because I ran out of time, Angra - Rebirth reminds me of playing Kingdom Hearts. Mostly with the first and second song.

Ciao!

Oinkness: didn't you start groveling on the Bloodbath Forum when last you were banned...

Forest Stream kick ass. Sound like a Black Winter Day (in terms of imagery and atmosphere not the song by Amorphis)