Souls of Black and Ritual

AcousticluvnRocker

New Metal Member
Jun 23, 2003
CA
Visit site
I read stuff about how these arent good albums. I was wondering whats the story on these albums? I can see why some people dont like The Ritual cuz does seem in a different style. But Souls has that classic Testament flavor. Both albums have alot of good songs on them. I was lke whoa when I heard that people didnt like these albums. These albums kick ass!!!!!!!!

I haven't heard The Ritual, but my fundamental problem with Souls is that it's just boring. There's nothing on there that really reaches out, grabs me by the neck, and shouts "HEADBANG OR DIE!!" like on other albums..."The Legacy" is nice (tho their worst ballad) and the title track grooves, but whenever I put that album on it sorta fades into white noise. I hate it when that happens.

Pyrus said:
The Legacy" is nice (tho their worst ballad).
!!!!!!! What? Their worst ballad? Damn... this song made me cried like a fucking baby because of the solos!!! Never heard something as touching as this!

I personnaly think that Souls is a bit weaker than ritual but this is only production-wise... The sound in general on souls of black doesn't do the songs any justice! With a good production like on PWYP, Malpractice, Face in the Sky, Souls of Black, Seven Days of May and One Man's Fate would shred!

Souls is pretty much in PWYP vein, just a little darker- it's like a step further in the same direction (these are the 2 most similar albums in TestAmnenT's catalogue). I can't say I prefer either one- both are great for me. It's just the production that may be (and is) a problem here. If I remember correctly the album was recorded in a very short time during a break in PWYP tour; the guys wanted to thank the fans for tremendous and a little unexpected support and popularity over the last year or whatever and release another masterpiece as soon as possible. And some say it wasn't the best idea- the disc (according to those who criticise it) is full of unfinished ideas and boring. I totally disagree with that. There are some of Alex's most memorable solos, some great riffing, the rythm section of the band sounds like never before and Chuck is truly amazing. For me his singing is way better than on PWYP. I still listen to this cd almost everyday. And I don't know why, but in my country this is the most popular TestAmenT record and everybody seems to be disappointed with anything they've done but Souls. It's rather strange, but perhaps it's because of the fact that they've been here in '90 and the concerts were well received or whatever

I listened to The Ritual working in the yard yesterday. I've always liked it, and besides, some songs are slow enough you can swing a pick ax to the beat...

Try that with D.N.R...o_O

I agree that The Legacy is probably Testament's best ballad. Souls of Black is not as good as the three albums that came before it, but it is still a solid metal album. With songs like Face in the Sky, Malpractice, Seven Days of May, and The Legacy, it certainly stays out of the " Bad" category.

I don't own the Ritual but I've heard enough from it to know what it sounds like ( Signs of Chaos, Electric Crown, So Many Lies, The Ritual, etc). It's definitely commercialized Testament, but still isn't a bad album at all. Return to Serenity is a beautiful song as well.

The Souls of Black cd is fuggin awesome. So is song The Legacy, it has so much feeling. I don't see how some of you say it's the worst ballad.
hypnotized.gif

Bah

Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good song; it just doesn't grab me as much as the other ballads. Return To Serenity has better clean melodies, The Ballad has some of Chuck's best vox, and Trail of Tears...man, that song just fucking rocks.

I should comment on the two Ritual songs I've heard..Serenity is great, and So Many Lies...eh, I dunno. It just kinds plods along; the chorus is nice and catchy, and Chuck sings well - the problem is that the main riff is just entirely uninteresting. I love Testament because they write riffs that punish your eardrums and spinal column, and So Many Lies doesn't do that.

Pyrus said:
Souls is that it's just boring. ..but whenever I put that album on it sorta fades into white noise. I hate it when that happens.

I could not have described it better myself.

High Priest Of Evil said:
Souls is pretty much in PWYP vein, just a little darker- it's like a step further in the same direction (these are the 2 most similar albums in TestAmnenT's catalogue). I can't say I prefer either one- both are great for me. It's just the production that may be (and is) a problem here. If I remember correctly the album was recorded in a very short time during a break in PWYP tour; the guys wanted to thank the fans for tremendous and a little unexpected support and popularity over the last year or whatever and release another masterpiece as soon as possible. And some say it wasn't the best idea- the disc (according to those who criticise it) is full of unfinished ideas and boring. I totally disagree with that. There are some of Alex's most memorable solos, some great riffing, the rythm section of the band sounds like never before and Chuck is truly amazing. For me his singing is way better than on PWYP. I still listen to this cd almost everyday. And I don't know why, but in my country this is the most popular TestAmenT record and everybody seems to be disappointed with anything they've done but Souls. It's rather strange, but perhaps it's because of the fact that they've been here in '90 and the concerts were well received or whatever

Sorry but in our country Souls of Black is not most popular record I think the most popular is The Gathering.

Like in most countries. I just said that it's probably the most popular in my country and that it's kinda unusual. Or are you from the same country that I am. If so, we have different observations and experience in this matter

I love these 2 albums I dont really see anything wrong with them at all. Ritual does seem like commercial Testament but thats fine cuz the music is good and thats what matters. Souls of Black is a very good album too. The Legacy is such a beautiful song. Its not Testaments worst ballad. the intro is what grabbed me by that balls and made me enjoy it. Just like a good woman LOL There is such beautiful guitar in that song.

I think that both of those albums are great. The Legacy is one of the best ballads. If it were'nt for Trail of tears it would be my fav. James Murphys solos in that song are amazing to say the least. I thought the Ritual was good. I dont care if it is commercialized.

I can't really say anything negative about Souls of Black since it's the album that got me into Testament in the first place. I still think it's a great album with many great songs and just the right mix of thrashiness and precision.
The Ritual is a much slower album more in the classic Heavy Metal vein and as such it really differs from the rest of Testament's stuff, more so when you compare it to Low and The Gathering.