Souls To Deny

Lunar Descent

Nov 20, 2007
What the hell am I missing? Every 'positive' opinion I read about Suffocation (not from ultimatemetal.com, I am new here) usually is along the lines of 'Pierced From Within is amazing, The S/T release is great and Effigy Of The Forgotten is pretty good.' After finally listening to this album, I find it just as great as their other albums commonly mentioned. I would like to read your opinions concerning this album (in contrast and comparison with the other ones if you want).

Their 2 newest releases don't match their previous work at all. While they're still ok both aren't even close to be great. I love every release up to and including Despise the Sun. Not sure if Cerrito's departure is the answer but I think there is something missing in their newest work.

Souls to Deny and the s/t are equal. Good, but not great like the other albums. Sure, the musicianship is as good, but for some reason I don't find the songs as memorable. I can't put into words why I feel this way, though. It's some intangeable quality that their post reunion albums are lacking.

I actually wasn't musch for Despise The Sun.

On the other had I think Pierced From Within is the best (Of course). And I really like the latest release. I dont at all think that Souls To Deny is Suffocation at best, I am just not sure why it is so overlooked. Or, unspoken of.

Only Suffocation song i've heard is Infecting the Crypts which is pretty rad.

I've heard that Souls to Deny is their worst.

I actually wasn't musch for Despise The Sun.

On the other had I think Pierced From Within is the best (Of course). And I really like the latest release. I dont at all think that Souls To Deny is Suffocation at best, I am just not sure why it is so overlooked. Or, unspoken of.
It's overlooked because it is a mediocre album standing in the shadow of two monolithic albums. And also at this point, their self-titled is better if you like their newer sound.

It's a listenable album at best, but nothing I've gone apeshit over. I remember everyone getting cranky when they reunited because they wouldn't have Doug Cerrito's input. Someone must've had the inside scoop on their creative process or something, because I can't draw much of a correlation between their best songs and the writing credits in the liner notes. S/T is a definite improvement, regardless.

I'll tell a different story. I have always had trouble getting into Suffocation. It's just something from their stuff hasn't really grabbed me by the throat. I have started to appreciate some of it, but overall they do not captivate me. Though I have been into metal since the early 80's, I wasn't monitering the scene when they came out, so it may be that not experiencing their impact in the original context has not allowed me to appreciate them as I might have otherwise.

I saw them on the Souls to Deny tour and they were amazing! So that boosted my appreciation to some degree. All that said, so far I think I like Despise the Sun best, and I like the newest two as much as the older stuff.

It's overlooked because it is a mediocre album standing in the shadow of two monolithic albums. And also at this point, their self-titled is better if you like their newer sound.

My thoughts exactly, CC. My ranking for their full-lengths goes...

Effigy > Pierced > s/t > Breeding > Souls

Including EPs (judging based on quality only):

Effigy >/= Human Waste > Pierced > s/t > Breeding > Souls > Despise

I also agree, given this list, that the s/t is a big step up for the newer Suffo incarnation and style. Good shit, with some highly memorable songs!

Human Waste is a fucking killer EP.

The main issue with Souls To Deny is that when you release some of the best death metal records ever than your comeback is going to be looked at with a different state of mind. I am sure that if it was the debut of a new death metal band than people would react in a different fashion. At least that is my take on it.

Human Waste is one of the best, if not THE best, death metal EPs ever spawned. I own an original on tape, too. :cool:

And yeah Alter, that might be part of a subconscious reaction to some people, but it shouldn't apply to most people who can clearly explain their ideas/thoughts on an album. And if it does, you can usually assume their opinion to be expendable since it's judging the music on a rather irrelevant basis. :p

What the hell am I missing? Every 'positive' opinion I read about Suffocation (not from ultimatemetal.com, I am new here) usually is along the lines of 'Pierced From Within is amazing, The S/T release is great and Effigy Of The Forgotten is pretty good.' After finally listening to this album, I find it just as great as their other albums commonly mentioned. I would like to read your opinions concerning this album (in contrast and comparison with the other ones if you want).

Souls to Deny is pretty good but I dont think it was as good as Effigy of the Forgotten/Human Waste. I love Human Waste: it is intense. "Infecting The Crypts" got me into the band in the first place. I have not got Pierced From Within or Breeding the Spawn yet but I must eventually. Can't go wrong with Suffocation. I heard a few newer songs from their self-titled album and it is good.