Sound question for Chris

SickBoy

Croatian Panzer division
Apr 9, 2004
Split, Croatia, Europe
www.myspace.com
Hi Chris!

I just listened to Battered & Bruised and noticed a nice effect on your solo starting at 2:08. The sound seems to come from "underneath", I suppose that's the closest description...
Could you please tell me what did you do to achieve this?
By 'you' I refer to whoever mixed the song as well, I suppose it's some kind of sound width expanding by phase shifts...

Much grateful! ;)

SickBoy said:
Hi Chris!

I just listened to Battered & Bruised and noticed a nice effect on your solo starting at 2:08. The sound seems to come from "underneath", I suppose that's the closest description...
Could you please tell me what did you do to achieve this?
By 'you' I refer to whoever mixed the song as well, I suppose it's some kind of sound width expanding by phase shifts...

Much grateful! ;)

Hey Sickboy,
There is no real effect on my solo at that point, just me and the Powerball, but when I enter it I start by sliding down to the first note. Also when I mix I like to create a sterio image so the solo sounds 3 dimentional.
I know it's not much but I hope this helps.
Chris.

Chris_Broderick said:
There is no real effect on my solo at that point, just me and the Powerball, but when I enter it I start by sliding down to the first note. Also when I mix I like to create a sterio image so the solo sounds 3 dimentional.

Yes, that 3D "effect", that stereo image is what interests me!
You say you like to create it when you mix, but could you please tell me HOW you create it? If it's not a secret, of course ;)
I've tried several times to make it myself, but with zero success... :(

SickBoy said:
Yes, that 3D "effect", that stereo image is what interests me!
You say you like to create it when you mix, but could you please tell me HOW you create it? If it's not a secret, of course ;)
I've tried several times to make it myself, but with zero success... :(

Well it is my own creation, but I will tell you since you noticed it. take your mono signal and run it though a multi band EQ sending the separate signals to each side(stereo split), then separate the 2 sides of your stereo signal and then slide one of them 10 miliseconds. and that is it.
Let me know how it goes, Chris.

Chris_Broderick said:
Well it is my own creation, but I will tell you since you noticed it. take your mono signal and run it though a multi band EQ sending the separate signals to each side(stereo split), then separate the 2 sides of your stereo signal and then slide one of them 10 miliseconds. and that is it.

I knew that there was some phase shift involved, but didn't know what you did! Much appreciated, I'll try the trick ASAP! :worship:

Well, the first thing I tried was to shift one of the sides of stereo signal, but that introduced a flanging effect to the sound.
By analyzing your solo sound on this song (a part where that guitar is left alone, to be specific) I think you were referring to some kind of stereo split/subtraction of the frequency range of the sound, where they combined/summed would give the original signal. Interesting idea, to shift one of those... ;)
If I got your suggestion right, I can't really think of any way to produce the two differently EQ'd signals which would combined sound as something I recorded. But I won't give up, I'm sure I'll find a workaround... ;)

SickBoy said:
Well, the first thing I tried was to shift one of the sides of stereo signal, but that introduced a flanging effect to the sound.
By analyzing your solo sound on this song (a part where that guitar is left alone, to be specific) I think you were referring to some kind of stereo split/subtraction of the frequency range of the sound, where they combined/summed would give the original signal. Interesting idea, to shift one of those... ;)
If I got your suggestion right, I can't really think of any way to produce the two differently EQ'd signals which would combined sound as something I recorded. But I won't give up, I'm sure I'll find a workaround... ;)
You got it.
the best program that I know of for this is Waves Q10 eq.
hope this helps, let me know, Chris.

SickBoy said:
I did the trick and it works! :D
I suppose you made this "opposite EQing" thing in order to avoid phasing/flanging effect on the sound which is imminent with phase shift...
Good job! ;)
Thanks SickBoy,
I hate that phasing sound you can get with stereo imagers, and wanted a more 3 dimensional sound, This was the solution.
Take it easy Chris.