Sound question (Tech 21 PSA-1)

JagTodde

New Metal Member
Sep 24, 2004
hi,

i'm a huge fan of your guitar sound and of you playing style of course. I bought a psa-1 because everyone said, thats the ultimate guitar-amp to do direct recording. Ok, i read on the old panzer page last year or so, that you used a psa-1 to record mechanized warfare. I really like the sound on this record!!!
I never was satisfied with my guitar sound at recording sessions, then i read some people put a speaker simulator infront or in the effect in and outputputs.
how did you did it? did you record through an mic or did you went straight into the mixingboard(direkt recording)?
i asked many people they told me i only have to figure it out with the knobs. i have a sample here, maybe you can tell me what i have to do better
http://www.ritualsteel.com/Songs/savage.mp3

best regard and good luck maybe see you on tour in germany!

Todde

JagTodde said:
hi,

i'm a huge fan of your guitar sound and of you playing style of course. I bought a psa-1 because everyone said, thats the ultimate guitar-amp to do direct recording. Ok, i read on the old panzer page last year or so, that you used a psa-1 to record mechanized warfare. I really like the sound on this record!!!
I never was satisfied with my guitar sound at recording sessions, then i read some people put a speaker simulator infront or in the effect in and outputputs.
how did you did it? did you record through an mic or did you went straight into the mixingboard(direkt recording)?
i asked many people they told me i only have to figure it out with the knobs. i have a sample here, maybe you can tell me what i have to do better
http://www.ritualsteel.com/Songs/savage.mp3

best regard and good luck maybe see you on tour in germany!

Todde
Hey Todde,
I never recomend recording direct, they just havn't gotten all of the speaker emulation down. I would record with a good power amp (mesa 2:90, or VHT 2/50/2) into a bottom cab with celestions (I prefer greenbacks) and mic it with a sm57. On the Mech CD it was that and Marks Bogner amp.
Take it easy, Chris.

thanks for the answer first. mh, for people like me who live in a house with some neighbours its very hard and difficult to crank up a tube amp like in the studio. i've tried it with my savage 120 but the people around me went crazy very quickly. sure the sound is more warmer and has very more bottom end if you record in the old style:)

by the way, our singer is on the jagpanzer dvd the era...i was very surprised!