Sound Replacement/Triggering

Jeremy Krull

Destroyer of the C-List
Jul 18, 2002
NY
www.jeremykrull.com
This is a question for Andy, if he should happen to see it...

On the new Trivium record, the last Killswitch Engage record (End of Heartache), as well as Kreator's Enemy of God, and the Nevermore remix/remaster,

you used sound replacement on the drum tracks, blending them with the acoustic sounds, no?

and judging from the Nevermore studio, and me being familiar with the sounds, you did use a DDrum brain?

what version of the DDrum brain did you use, and what was your basic method in applying those sounds? (post tracking, during tracking? etc..)

thanks in advance...

Andy Sneap said:
I've just started using drumagog actually, great, few bugs still but seems better than sound replacer

Using Drumagog here as well. It's saved my ass more than once, and Rim is a really great guy to deal with. I highly recommend this program!

now andy, how was that version of drum rehab you were testing? i remember you mentioning that you were checkin it out a while back. any luck?

I used Drumagog 3 for my death metal band Vile. Ill post some stuff when Im done in a week or so. But it saved my ass. Was going to mix real toms with triggers but one of the mics was bad and tom 3 turned out to be distorted on every hit. I was in the live room with the drummer when we tracked and the engineer didnt catch it.

So I was forced to trigger everything. Never triggered the whole kit before and even though I am not totally satisfied with my samples, it worked.

Drumagog is cool cause you can sample a drum 4 or 5 times then add all 4 or 5 samples to the bin and it will randomly pick between the hits. Make sure all your samples are 90% the same. Also you can dial in the dynamic tracking. So it will retain any percentage of the dynamics you want. I used 50 percent or something and it flattened out the dynamics enough to sound consistant but not so much that every hit is the same.

I can tell that the challenge is just getting the best samples possible. Also yes you have to print a track and grag it back 3.6ms.

What I did was to run Drumagog live while I go into the track and manually adjust the volume of each hit untill it triggers the program perfectly. Say there is a roll and he hits the drum 6 times in a row. Well the first 4 hits are usually good and then you have to boost the volume on the last 2 hits. Or if he played a tom out of time, move it over. All the while the track is feeding the Drumagog and you hear what your editing does to the final triggered product. Then when the track is all edited and ironed out 19 hours later, you just print the track.

Colin

vile_ator said:
Drumagog is cool cause you can sample a drum 4 or 5 times then add all 4 or 5 samples to the bin and it will randomly pick between the hits. Make sure all your samples are 90% the same. Also you can dial in the dynamic tracking. So it will retain any percentage of the dynamics you want. I used 50 percent or something and it flattened out the dynamics enough to sound consistant but not so much that every hit is the same.
Colin

I'm having a helluva time getting the floor tom to sound good on a clean channel guitar part that's all toms. The floor tom is hit repeatedly and although the level changes, the sound of the tom is way too fake. It didn't occur to me until now to use multiple samples. I'm using aptrigga but as far as I know, there's no way to randomize the hits. Any ideas?

drumagog seems very accurate to me, and if you record with delay compensation on to another track in pro tools, its bang on in time.
Great for multi samples, we just recorded 10 different hits with the Audix D6 in the DW24" here, and it's worked out really well. I'm getting a few graphics errors that Rims looking into and he seems to think he's got it sorted with the next update.
Drum Rehab, seems good, I was getting a few bugs where it would lose the time stamp for each hit, I don't know if they've got this sorted yet, to me, the big advantage Drumagog has over all these programs is the ability to randomly trigger different samples within the same velocity group.

Forbiddenevil said:
In version 2.2 there is a random mode in apTrigga. Download the manual pdf.

http://www.apulsoft.ch/aptrigga/aptrigga2.pdf

Im using aptrigga 2.2 and the random mode is called dynamic, i mean for what you pay i think its really good, doesnt give much variation in hits ive found, but enough to get by.
The thing i really like about aptrigga tho is the fact its so easy to use and works great straight off, theres no encyclopedia style manual and my fave part about it is..... its idiot proof :Spin:

10.4.3 Random Mode
apTrigga’s random mode selects a random sample of the loaded samples ever y-
time the trigger is activated. There is no way to influence the behaviour and an
arrangment may sound different ever y time it is played if random mode is used.
This mode is intended to be used for natural-feel drum triggering, to simulate the
fact that a drummer can’t hit a drum exactly the same way ever y time.

Andy Sneap said:
looking into and he seems to think he's got it sorted with the next update.
QUOTE]

I was a Betatester for Drumagog and I would like to have the compression pre- instead of post triggering. So you have the velocity OK before the actual triggering happens. If not it sounds in random silly.
Rim would take a look at that to with the next update.

I think it a great tool but I wait till this is implemented:hotjump: