Soundcard/Interface Question

MetallyGuitarded

He whom thou art not
I have a PC/Hardware question for you wizards of audio mastery. I'm wondering if a 'good' sound card will help my system in terms of overall performance?

My PC currently is the following...
Intel 845 mobo
P4 2.53Ghz ( Socket 478 w/no SSE or HyperThreading )
1GB of 4200 DDR RAM
Assorted ATA-100 HD's and DVD-RW
Currently has an SB Live card in it I've been using to record via line in.

I've been advised by a couple people to get the EMU 0404 card for better ADC/DAC and stuff. If the EMU or any other interface isn't going to help my PC's performance any than it's kind of a moot point cause it struggles to run Addictive Drums ( multi-out with DSP on several channels ) and a couple audio tracks. Anyone have any first hand experience with this scenario?

I recently got a part-time job which puts me at a total of 60 hours a week working 7 days a week and if the upgraded card isn't gonna help any I think I might be better off getting a whole new system which I'll base on the threads Broll and others have recently posted to.

Thanks for reading and remember...
If you get it, see a doctor and get rid of it
Lord loves a working man
Don't trust Whitey

HAhahaha, that last bit sounds familiar but I can't place it - and as to your question, no, unfortunately, if your computer is struggling to run AD (which doesn't surprise me given its specs) then a new interface/sound card isn't gonna help at all. Time for a new machine!

If E-mu 0404 means PCI version (not USB) then it has no balanced connections... only unbalanced.
But card cannot help you to get better performance... but what driver you use for SB live?
If you use something like KX-project then performance is limited by PC, not audio card.
My previous audio card was SB live 5.1 with KX-project, I changed live for ESI Juli@.
Audio quality was seriously improoved, overall performance is on the same level.

I know new computers are really fucking popular and all that, but (1) this is an interface question and (2) PCs lose value quicker than cashmere sweaters at a butcher's shop.

I'd get a new interface first, and spend a good bit of money on that. I don't know what the budget is, but that would be the first thing I'd go for. You can slim down your effect use and process effects you're not going to need to tweak, but you can't make up for poor input. Plus, this cheap interface will keep its value MUCH longer than a new computer.

If you were to get a new computer... you're on a tight enough budget that a 60-hour workweek makes sense, so I'd go for something used in all honesty. You don't need top-of-the-line stuff for audio work - it might be nice, but it's not absolutely necessary. Fun as they may be, computers are just a shiny way of throwing away money.

If I were to just throw things out without hearing a budget, here's what I'd do.

Insanely cheap... 0404, maybe. (Around $100.)

Cheap... 1010LT. (Around $200.)

Less cheap... Firepod. (Expect to pay $400 or so.)

Jeff

I C. This is what mystifies me about the stuff some of you do on your own computers. I've got maybe 6 fx plugins running ( 2 KeFIR for fiddles and 2 EQ + 2 Comps for kick and snare ), Addictive Drums and a couple guitar tracks and it's struggling. I know I can render the guitar tracks to wavs and save some CPU but since I'm just starting to experiment I don't want anything static at this point. Broll I know what you mean about the depreciation of PC hardware. I certainly wouldn't get the latest and greatest. I can't see paying double for a 10% performance increase. Well, I guess I better get my ass back to work and earn some benjamins, I have some stuff to buy...

SPAM:
FS: Pair of Digitech Genesis3 Guitar Amp/FX Modelers $80 Each obo
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/694792198.html

But what audio driver is used? Not all SB live have ASIO drivers...
For not expensive internal card I`d go for ESI Juli@ (or M-Audio Audiophile 192) or E-mu 1212m (quality converters).

Look around town for computer stores if you're going to buy something; get something with a nice dual core processor and if it doesn't have 2G of RAM be prepared to put down for that. There are going to be more than a few in any decently-sized city and you might even have a Goodwill with computer shit. If that doesn't work out I can try to help you build a budget computer.

Jeff

But what audio driver is used? Not all SB live have ASIO drivers...
For not expensive internal card I`d go for ESI Juli@ (or M-Audio Audiophile 192) or E-mu 1212m (quality converters).

My Drivers are Microsoft. I had Creatives' drivers loaded. Didn't make any diff that I could tell. I have used ASIO4ALL and the KX drivers in the past only because I thought I needed them but I found SaviHost ( small shareware app ) and it lets me run VST and VSTi plugins stand-alone. I only wanted to see if Guitar Rig or Revalver would do realtime and I was impressed that it was near 4-5ms. Not something I'd actually use though.

As for a new PC, I'd probably just build something in the $500 range and even if I bought something low-end off the shelf it'll still be 4x faster than my current system. That's the only good thing about PC's, cheap as they get, they're still twice as fast as last years top model.

My Drivers are Microsoft. I had Creatives' drivers loaded. Didn't make any diff that I could tell. I have used ASIO4ALL and the KX drivers in the past only because I thought I needed them but I found SaviHost ( small shareware app ) and it lets me run VST and VSTi plugins stand-alone. I only wanted to see if Guitar Rig or Revalver would do realtime and I was impressed that it was near 4-5ms. Not something I'd actually use though.

As for a new PC, I'd probably just build something in the $500 range and even if I bought something low-end off the shelf it'll still be 4x faster than my current system. That's the only good thing about PC's, cheap as they get, they're still twice as fast as last years top model.

Yeah, you can build a great setup for $500 - I did. If you want to get around this stuff, again you can just PM me and we'll take care of things.

Jeff