Speaker Connection Question

bloodbath666

Nov 30, 2004
I'm using a marshall 1960 av cab, right now, and it has two ports 8ohms each when selected in stereo, and mono one of the ports is 4ohms and the other 16ohms. I noticed that when I use the stereo 8ohm port with my mesa boogie 2:fifty, one side seems to handle all the treble, and the other bass and mids. When I got mono tho, the speakers seems perfectly balanced, and louder. Is it safe for me to go mono with the stereo power amp? I'm matching the ohms correctly I think, I have my 4ohm port on the boogie going into the 4ohm mono port on the marshall. The other thing I was thinking of doing is using the other channel of the boogie, hooking my preamp into it, and then another speaker cable that runs in the other 8ohm stereo port of the cab so I could get the full spectrum of the cab, but on the marshall it says not to use both ports at once. Please help me I'm really confused.

thx.

bloodbath666 said:
Is it safe for me to go mono with the stereo power amp?

Yeah that should be ok. It's just the quality of the sound, and u can't really wreck anything with quality :p.

bloodbath666 said:
The other thing I was thinking of doing is using the other channel of the boogie, hooking my preamp into it, and then another speaker cable that runs in the other 8ohm stereo port of the cab so I could get the full spectrum of the cab

I guess, but I think if its only designed for the use of one port then using 2 may make the amp produce too much power. You have to make sure your cab can handle the power produced by the amp otherwise u'll wreck it. To me it sounds like there is only 2 ports just to give an option for impedance matching, but then again I sometimes do get a bit confused when I read stuff on the net.

It seems to me that each 8ohm stereo port controls 2 speakers each, so the right one control 2x12, and the left controls the other 2x12, but the mono allows me to use all 4x12 of the cab. I had someone in another forum tell, me I have to use the other side of my power amp so the configuration would be like this...........

Boogie 2fifty right 8ohm output--------------> Right 8ohm stereo input of Marshall cab.

Booge 2fifty Left 8ohm output---------------> Lef 8ohm stereo input of Marshall cab.

Do you think that the warning on the back to use only one input at a time, only applies to the mono side of the cab? Because I understand that in mono if just one input would run all 4 speakers, then using the other input, would be like an overload, but I mean when on input runs 2 speakers, then shouldn't I be able to use the other input as well the run the other side?

BTW- Anybody here with rack, gear, I was curious do you have two cables coming from you power amp, hooked into the speaker, so you get a full spectrum of the speaker? I was looking at a Mesa Boogie 2x12 recto cab online and there is one 16ohm mono port and 2 8ohm stereo ports, and the speakers themselves each say 8ohm in the back, doesn't this mean that each 8ohm port controls 1 Speaker while plugging into the mono port means that both speakers run? If this is true then wouldn't you plug both 8ohm ports to get full use of the cab?

Ok, I figured it out now. I run the left side of the boogie with the left 8ohm marshall port, and the right side of the boogie with the right 8ohm marshall port, now everything works fine. \m/