Speaker Simulator

JV

Nov 16, 2003
Peabody,Massachusetts
Visit site
Hey gang! I like many here have not been too impressed with POD's, software amps (Nigel;Amplitude;Guitar Rig). So I picked up a Palmer Speaker Simulator.http://www.palmerdirect.com/pga04f.htm. I gotta tell ya, this thing is GREAT! I own various Marshall heads, Fender combo's, and access to Mesa Boogie's. So far to my ears all the the amps recorded using the Palmer sound....well...just like they do when they're connected to their cabinets. Turning up my Marshall 100wPlexi Reissue without fear of the police knocking on the door is most welcome. It has balanced XLR and un-balanced 1/4" outputs. I ran both outputs into my Mackie mixer, panned both hard right/left...the sound was HUGE on playback.
Well anyways I thought I would share my experiences with this unit to all here. I figured why shell out money for an amp simulator, when I have the real McCoy's sitting right here. For direct recording I highly recommend this baby! :headbang:

Anyone else who has used a speaker simulator like the palmer? and if anyone has some soundclips of it, then i would be very thankfull...

I am looking to buy one as well.. im pretty much forced for now.. simply put, i dont have the room, i cant go loud, and i want to improve the tone i have now (POD XT)... a decent head and a palmer PGA-04 seems to be my solution...

im hoping for some soundclips though.. :)

Congrats JV. I was jusst telling Bob about it on MSN, coincidentally. Post some clips man!

~006

we got a Sequis motherload in the studio... that thing is fucking cool, cab simulator, AND output attenuator (hot plate sort of vibe)
the chief engineer was using that on all guitar tracks for aaaaaaaaaaaaaages, then i brought down my 5150, orange 4x12 and maxon 808 and set up the two 57s (you know what i mean!) into a chandler tg2;
and it hasnt really been used much since, except maybe for guides.. lol!!
but seriously if you cant turn your amp up i cant reccomend that thing enough!! its ace

motherload1U.jpg

http://www.motherload.co.uk/

006 said:
Congrats JV. I was jusst telling Bob about it on MSN, coincidentally. Post some clips man!

~006

yeah, i just bumped this thread up a bit... hoping JV would see it, and the people who know about this kind of stuff..

Yeah, he's probably the most famous user. Pretty much the last handful of albums he has used it on. Sounds great to me. I'm adding either the Palmer or the Sequis to my list of things to get.

~006

Sorry for the bounce lol

But i am really intrested in speaker simulators...

What is better sequis or palmer ?

And what about the "classic" palmer model ? PGA03 i think, i've seen rush using one for guitars.

Any soundclips yet ?

Wonder if anyone found the settings that make it sound CLOSE to a 4X12...

I heard some samples of the palmer on the internets a while back, sounded pretty stellar considering it wasn't a mic'd speaker. If I didn't know it was the cab sim, I'm sure I would have been none the wiser and just thought it was a sweet job capturing a good tone.

Hey gang! I like many here have not been too impressed with POD's, software amps (Nigel;Amplitude;Guitar Rig). So I picked up a Palmer Speaker Simulator.http://www.palmerdirect.com/pga04f.htm. I gotta tell ya, this thing is GREAT! I own various Marshall heads, Fender combo's, and access to Mesa Boogie's. So far to my ears all the the amps recorded using the Palmer sound....well...just like they do when they're connected to their cabinets. Turning up my Marshall 100wPlexi Reissue without fear of the police knocking on the door is most welcome. It has balanced XLR and un-balanced 1/4" outputs. I ran both outputs into my Mackie mixer, panned both hard right/left...the sound was HUGE on playback.
Well anyways I thought I would share my experiences with this unit to all here. I figured why shell out money for an amp simulator, when I have the real McCoy's sitting right here. For direct recording I highly recommend this baby! :headbang:

post some clips man!

I think i'll get a palmer (once i hear sound clips)

BTW i am really intrested in the whole (using it live) Idea.

And I bet that using re-amping you can get cool mixes of different cabinet simulation settings.

I got a Palmer PDI09, DI Box with 4x12 Cabinet simulator. I will do some recordings with it for you tomorrow because all my cables are in the rehearsal room...

where could I upload the stuff then?