Speaker Simulator

we got a Sequis motherload in the studio... that thing is fucking cool, cab simulator, AND output attenuator (hot plate sort of vibe)
the chief engineer was using that on all guitar tracks for aaaaaaaaaaaaaages, then i brought down my 5150, orange 4x12 and maxon 808 and set up the two 57s (you know what i mean!) into a chandler tg2;
and it hasnt really been used much since, except maybe for guides.. lol!!
but seriously if you cant turn your amp up i cant reccomend that thing enough!! its ace

motherload1U.jpg

http://www.motherload.co.uk/
the samples sound great :OMG:

Yeah mark has them in his rig i've helped him tweak it a few times. I also have a pga-05 at the studio that we use sometimes for scratch tracks. I absolutely love it for that and if i was running FOH for any band i would DEMAND they be in the rig. I also helped design a live rig for DAATH that includes the palmers. Needless to say they crush peoples heads live.

Is it possible to run a head like a 5150 into a line level input in a pre, then into something like the Voxengo Boogex loaded with an impulse? And if so, how good could you get the tone? Or would it be more optimal to have a Palmer? I always thought the Palmer was more geared towards live shows then tracking.

here's my set up this may help

Esp - Peavey 6505 - fx send into soundcard - then into impulse,
I use one of splatts old impulses i can't remember the exact file and im not sure if its still kicking about ill record a clip when i get home and re post this impulse for you but it sounds real good with the peavey,

I use pristine space to run the impulse.

Hope that answers your question.

Rene, do you have to use the FX send or can you use a dummy load and send the preamp out into your sound card?

I think your preamp out blows a fuse because your amp needs to send that signal somewhere. That is why you really should make or buy a dummy load. From what I have heard, the way to do this right is to dummy load your amp and use the preamp out, and it does sound better that way.

My buddy Mike from Devildriver just got one of these... I will ask him what he thinks when he gets back from the European tour leg. He also mentioned that the Daath guys are loving theirs.

the few of you who own this
should make IMPULSES...

please!!!

we could ALL enjoy this great cab emulation

BULB got one recently...i think he posted a clip on his soundclick, but used impulses for cab sim i think

I would really appreciate a soundclip from either the palmer pga03 or pga04; really want to know how they sound! so if there´s anybody that has one of them; can they post a clip?

Hey gang! I like many here have not been too impressed with POD's, software amps (Nigel;Amplitude;Guitar Rig). So I picked up a Palmer Speaker Simulator.http://www.palmerdirect.com/pga04f.htm. I gotta tell ya, this thing is GREAT! I own various Marshall heads, Fender combo's, and access to Mesa Boogie's. So far to my ears all the the amps recorded using the Palmer sound....well...just like they do when they're connected to their cabinets. Turning up my Marshall 100wPlexi Reissue without fear of the police knocking on the door is most welcome. It has balanced XLR and un-balanced 1/4" outputs. I ran both outputs into my Mackie mixer, panned both hard right/left...the sound was HUGE on playback.
Well anyways I thought I would share my experiences with this unit to all here. I figured why shell out money for an amp simulator, when I have the real McCoy's sitting right here. For direct recording I highly recommend this baby! :headbang:
well where are the clips already!!!!

and make impulses!:lol:

http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/001902.html
'''''
I use the JSX speaker cabinet when playing live. In the studio I’ll use a Palmer Speaker Simulator most of the time, into a Millennia Media Mike Pre and a Universal Audio LA-2A Limiter. I’ll record into Pro-Tools at 96k. That’s about it. I use D’Addario strings. For the live situation I like using the 9 thru 42s, and in the studio I’ll sometimes use a set of 10s or even 11s. ''''''''''