Speakers?

Moonlapse said:
Any surround systems bought for under a grand, you can generally assume to be an utter waste of money. For instance, I'd never touch those Creative setups. The pure size of those satellites just tells me there's gonna be a huge gap in the crossover between them and the sub.

Damn dude... why'd you have to go and make me feel like shit? I just picked up this and since it is a product that they are no longer producing and it was the last one in the store I got it for $319 and it was listed @ $499.... I haven't even hooked it up yet... I don't know how good it's going to be, but no matter what it will kick the ass of the "Shelf System" that it is replacing... you're going to have to educate me on what you meant by your last sentence and "Crossover" etc..

Out.:devil:

Wow, 6.1. I always wondered how they work, since nobody actually mixes for it. It seems most things these days are either 5.1 or 7.1. I'm sure that setup will be adequate for you, dude. The front speakers look like they actually have some beef on them, which might make the crossover a little smoother. Definately good value for a full blown surround system - obviously, it won't be audiophile quality, but I'm sure it'll serve you well for the price you paid.

Hehe what's funny is that the driver on that subwoofer is the same size as the drivers on my actual speakers. 6-1/2".

One thing I'm curious about. Does that Home Theatre A/V receiver you got with it power all the speakers? Or do some of them need direct power?

And to answer the question... crossover = the frequency point where the speakers roll off and the sub-woofer takes over. What you're after is a really clean transition from one to the other, so you're not missing any audio information around the crossover point. Crossover is also used to describe how well the tweeter on a larger speaker (like your two front ones) cuts off and the driver takes over.

Now that I look at it, it's really weird. Your front two speakers seem to have one tweeter and 2 drivers each. Couple that with the subwoofer and you've got 3 crossover points. Curious.

Moonlapse said:
Says the guy who can't notice quality loss on 128kb mp3 ;)

I think a good speaker system is essential for appreciating music. I'm more about fidelity and sonic clarity, which is why I invested in a pair of studio monitors, as opposed to a 5.1 system. Any surround systems bought for under a grand, you can generally assume to be an utter waste of money. For instance, I'd never touch those Creative setups. The pure size of those satellites just tells me there's gonna be a huge gap in the crossover between them and the sub.

I've been considering getting 3 more monitors, and a stand-alone sub and setting up a 5.1 one system from that, however. I think it depends on whether Still Life does get remixed :)
....easy Circuit City manager

bangadrian said:
ok when i first mentioned hitting bums with my car earlier today, it was not a porcupine tree reference. everyone's seemingly random replies confused me. however, since then i have acquired deadwing and listened to it (purely by coincidence), and now i get it. NOW I GET IT! somebody give me a hug

:lol:

Moonlapse said:
Wow, 6.1. I always wondered how they work, since nobody actually mixes for it. It seems most things these days are either 5.1 or 7.1. I'm sure that setup will be adequate for you, dude. The front speakers look like they actually have some beef on them, which might make the crossover a little smoother. Definately good value for a full blown surround system - obviously, it won't be audiophile quality, but I'm sure it'll serve you well for the price you paid.

Hehe what's funny is that the driver on that subwoofer is the same size as the drivers on my actual speakers. 6-1/2".

One thing I'm curious about. Does that Home Theatre A/V receiver you got with it power all the speakers? Or do some of them need direct power?

And to answer the question... crossover = the frequency point where the speakers roll off and the sub-woofer takes over. What you're after is a really clean transition from one to the other, so you're not missing any audio information around the crossover point. Crossover is also used to describe how well the tweeter on a larger speaker (like your two front ones) cuts off and the driver takes over.

Now that I look at it, it's really weird. Your front two speakers seem to have one tweeter and 2 drivers each. Couple that with the subwoofer and you've got 3 crossover points. Curious.

Check out this .pdf document and look at the specs on the bottom rt corner of page 3 for info on the speakers.. it doesn't mean anything to my "non-audiophile-educated" brain so you could translate if you like. I would find it interesting. Check here for a brochure on the sub that doesn't mean shit to me either so by all means, translate that too while you're at it. I'm going to use a fiber optic cable from the Direct TV/TIVO box to the amp and from my DVD player to the amp and I got those at a steal as well.. I think the 3' one was 4.99 and the 6' was 8.99.... I also purchased 14AWG speaker wire. I hope that was a worthwile investment... we'll just have to see what it sounds like if I ever get it all pieced together and figure out how to make it work... :ill:

Thanks, man. :worship:

Out.:devil:

Deadlift said:
Do you think your speakers, amplifiers and other stuff matters alot when you listen to music?

For me it`s very important. Especially when listening to Opeth.

I always try new speakers and amps with Opeth CDs.
It is important. The thing is, not all speakers sound good with any type of music played on them. And sometimes the speakers that play music well don't play movies well. You have to do a lot of research before you invest if you're serious about your audio. Being that I listen to everything from classical music with violins and pianos to Opeth with electric guitars, it took me a while to find speakers for my 5.1 setup that could play everything. I spent 1300$ on my sub (Sunfire Truesub).

Now, I don't know everything, and will never pretend to, but in my experience nothing beats a great pair of headphones. You can just hear things much better than on most speakers. I'm thinking of investing in a pair of Sennheiser 650's. I've gotten reports from reliable sources that they are fantastic cans. If you're setting up a 5.1/7.1 system, make sure you read up on the crossover frequency information. I had a pair of old towers that didn't go as low as I thought they did, so I had a deadspot before the sub would kick in. It was annoying because the movies felt hollow until I bought a new set of towers. If you have a dvd that has that THX setup thingy on it (I know the Star Wars do for sure), run that. There's a section in there that will test your crossovers.
:)

Stay clear from the HD650 except you want to invest in a $400+ headphone amp. They sound dark and boring otherwise. Have a look at Grado cans instead ;)