specific questions about this mix

3tuxedo

Apr 2, 2011
Hey guys here is a new mix i've been working on, how does the bass sit with the guitars to you fellas? I did quite a bit of processing to is, and i was just wondering if it helped. Also, how does the kick come through? It seems like it sits a little low in the mix. Thanks so much.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23016439/wahoo.mp3

That basstone is sick, would you like to share those settings? ive been trying to get a good bass for ages .. the track needs more energy in my opinion, some warmth to it. i like fat guitars so maybe higher a db or 2 :D otherwise the track is really good!

Thanks so much man! I completely agree with the energy thing, and the warmth, i'm not sure how to give it more energy still. Ill try the guitar boost im sure that'd help,

The bass is Trilian, but this will work with a DI too. One track has a low pass EQ > Compressor > Focusrite Compressor > Limiter. And then a copied track of the bass has a high pass EQ (with a boost around 1800 hz) > C1 > Pod Farm (oddly enough i have this track going through a Brit J-800 and a 4x 12 Brit Celest T-75s to add some twang). The basic idea was to have a track with real tight lows, and a track to adjust the twang and high end.

No worries, dropbox seems to have been having problems today. I agree that the mix overall needs energy, a punchy mastering chain with a nice limiter (I'm a fan of the good old waves L2) could help to glue everything together. The source sounds are all really good, the mix just needs that final touch to get it 'there'. Guitars could use a little more mids on the amp head and some high-end EQ boosts for clarity.

I agree that the mix overall needs energy, a punchy mastering chain with a nice limiter (I'm a fan of the good old waves L2) could help to glue everything together... Guitars could use a little more mids on the amp head and some high-end EQ boosts for clarity.

Thanks so much for the tips man. What exactly do you mean by a punchy mastering chain? For right now i just have a limiter on the master bus, but that is just to prevent against clipping. I always have problems with the mids on my guitars.

Here's a basic mastering chain I might try: SSL compressor (-4 thresh, 2 release, 30 attack), C4 multiband EQ (to help smooth out freq's), L2 limiter (I usually have it around -10 thresh), and any other plugin you might find appropriate for color-EQing or what have you.

The kick and bass are sounding good, but I think the guitar tone is whats holding this mix back. Sounds kind-of boxy / dead. Try boosting em by 1 or 2 dB and getting some more treble in there.