Spellcaster / Vindicator - 8/15 review

I think you may have missed Bob's point.......
etc
I've never been on tour with a bigger band. My groups have always done it DIY and my bands have always turned a profit when we get home. Most of our sales on on shirts at the $20 range, because they look the coolest. What you guys are saying is totally alien to me, but since like three people are agreed on this, I'm going to assume that attitudes are different in the USA or something.

Okay, so zooming in on what you said about the need to have 3-colour shirts. Here's where the band fucked up:

They should have had a range of stuff to sell. So, you should have a cheaply-made (read: more simple) shirt design you could sell for $10 or $15 dollars. Sure. But when you start getting into the 3-colour range or something with multiple prints then those are high-quality products, so you pay more for those. That way the people who are willing to spend $20 have an outlet to do that, and the people who can't/won't afford that also do. That way, when someone goes to the merch booth they'll ask "Which shirt do I buy?" vs. "Do I buy the shirt?" which are extremely different questions.

I guess I look at it like this......

If I was in SPELLCASTER (or any young band going out for a headlining tour) my approach would be as follows:
1) We are the headlining band on a short jaunt across the US
2) I would realize we are going to play to small crowds
3) I would realize that we are not competing with a known headliner for merch where a fancier shirt may be needed to capture attention.
4) I would rather 30 to 50 people buy a CD at $5 and a Shirt at $10 than maybe only $10 or less at the prices currently being charged.
5) I would know that my survival on the road largely depends on merch sales as much as the nightly guarantee / pay
6) I would prepare cost effective merchandise that may result in having to settle for a one color shirt that could be sold at a reasonable price.
7) Etc, etc, etc..................

Jeff - That's great that you guys have been able to sell shirts for $20.
Honestly, I am not sure how many US bands equivalent of yours would be able to seriously sell a shirt for $20. I honestly don't think High Spirits even charge $20.

I guess I look at it like this......

If I was in SPELLCASTER (or any young band going out for a headlining tour) my approach would be as follows:
1) We are the headlining band on a short jaunt across the US
2) I would realize we are going to play to small crowds
3) I would realize that we are not competing with a known headliner for merch where a fancier shirt may be needed to capture attention.
4) I would rather 30 to 50 people buy a CD at $5 and a Shirt at $10 than maybe only $10 or less at the prices currently being charged.
5) I would know that my survival on the road largely depends on merch sales as much as the nightly guarantee / pay
6) I would prepare cost effective merchandise that may result in having to settle for a one color shirt that could be sold at a reasonable price.
7) Etc, etc, etc..................

Jeff - That's great that you guys have been able to sell shirts for $20.
Honestly, I am not sure how many US bands equivalent of yours would be able to seriously sell a shirt for $20. I honestly don't think High Spirits even charge $20.

I have to agree with you.

I have to agree with you.

43-Foto-MOSTRA-ThankYouBob-300x231.jpg