Splitter for Later Reamping?

xmarcelx

May 12, 2006
What can I use? It would be cool to have a clean track tracked, if something wrong with the sound...etc.
What do you use for splitting... I heard at the mixing contest track they've just use a tuner....
Pickups are EMG (at least for my tracks) and a TS so it's already buffered and low Z.

I think noise is an issue too?

There are several things out there. Pretty much a D.I. designed with the use for reamping later on will do the trick, obviously. Radial Engineering makes a ton of stuff suited for this task. Their JDI direct box is a perfect tool for this job. They have several other D.I. boxes and splitters, but I think that's the most popular one.

http://www.radialeng.com/

~006

Ah thx... I've already looked into the radial from the other thread... looks really useful!

Btw: Is there a simple solution for homerecording? I think of recording some clips at home and just reamp them at rehearsal room which would be much easier!
Maybe I could record in the line in and route the line out to my vamp for monitoring!?

Another two question:
-Is there a difference between reamped and direct recorded track?
I think with active electronics etc the difference should be subtle!?

-How to put the clean signal to the amp? And what about levels?

If you need everything to reamp, then get this. It has everything you need to do it.

Basically what you do is, you have the guitar going into the DI box (J48, for example), then that has two outputs. One output (the THRU plug) goes to like a V-Amp or POD or whatever so you can hear what you are playing. The other output (the OUTPUT plug) goes from the J48 goes into whatever you are using to record with. It records the direct clean signal from the guitar. Then, you later send that signal out to the X-Amp or ReAmp (Radial or ReAmp brand) and from there it goes into the input jack of your amplifier. You mic up the cabinet, press record, and it will play back the direct track *through* the amplifier, and record the mic'ed signal. Then you delete the direct tracks because you are done! :)

Quick demonstration:

Guitar-> J48 -> J48 Output 1 (THRU) -> V-Amp/POD/whatever
..............|-> J48 Output 2 -> Your recorder (DAW, tape, whatever)

THEN!

DAW/Tape/Whatever -> ReAmp/X-Amp -> Guitar Amplifier

Mic'ed Cabinet -> DAW/Tape/Whatever

Get it?

Now if what you use to record doesn't have any SEND outputs, then just solo the direct guitar track, arm the mic track, and press record. It'll only play back the direct track through the amp that you mic'ed up, and record the mic'ed signal to the new track.

~006

Hmm, I've never tried using a POD for reamping, but I think it would still be a safe bet to use a Reamping device to go from your DAW to your POD. The reamping device basically recreates the effect of being plugged in, or really recreating the nuances of a pickup's resistance. I'm not sure if it would sound "right" without the reamp box. The POD would not be my first...or even sixth choice to use for my reamped tracks, but it would work anyway.

~006

The Radial X-Amp is $179, and the original ReAmp is $200...I'm not sure if there is anything better or less expensive out there.

What exactly do you mean when you say "D/A" ?

~006

You could try eBay though. You might find a pretty good deal on there, I've seen a Reamp go for $120 and an X-Amp go for $100 before. Some people buy them in bulk to get the bulk discount and then try to sell them on eBay, but they don't set a reserve, so...

~006

xmarcelx said:
Is it a problem to go direct from the D/A to the dist pedal with right levels?
it's still an impedence mismatch....you aren't going to hurt anything but it will probably be quite noisey.

Since it hasn't been metioned yet in this thread, the little labs redeye is a combination DI/reamp for $225 is pretty well regarded.

Ohhhhh yeah, forgot about the RedEye. Yeah that gets great reviews as well. Plus, like egan said, it's both into one unit, pretty good deal :)

~006