Does reamping suck tone?

HAHAHAHAHA good eye Marcus.

Seriously, I'm with Ryan on that, I like the added whateveritis that reamping gives.

I have a kind of off topic question for you guys.

Many of you talk about tracking D.I.s with an amp sim because it makes editing easier. Why is this exactly?

Do you simply cut the D.I. track in the necessary spots, monitor through the amp sim track, then reamp through the real amp?

-Joe

yep

its easier to spot transients of notes this way

in logic you cant have mono outputs (stupid!) but you just have to remember to pan 100% L or R when reamping. not a big deal at all really.

So what Amp Sim do you all prefer for tracking then?

I find my self using Revlaver, Nick Crow and the SoloC.....

dammit you guise...i just sold my guitarist on the whole reamping thing recently. and while we've been tracking, he's complained about the feel and response, etc. i told him he was being a primadonna, to quit bitching and that he was just imagining it. now ya'll are gonna make me eat me words and admit he was right?!? :guh:

NOOOOO!!!!!....:cry:

So what Amp Sim do you all prefer for tracking then?

I find my self using Revlaver, Nick Crow and the SoloC.....

Yup, I doubt any of those offer an advantage over the other as far as revealing mistakes or what not, so just pick whichever sounds best and go for it!

color looks, gay, as much as i hate the british, (love you british sneapsters though) COLOUR looks cooler,

color

colour

color

colour. colour looks cooler, sooo colouring

128660498159844805.jpg

Dont get me started on aluminum.

I've never reamped but always thought in the back of my mind, the only way to get a true 'performance' out of an amp was to actually play it. The way you react with the guitar, through the amp, affecting the speakers, it can be percussive. I'm 100% sure I play different depending on the tone. Now this may not be a deal at all through a massive amount of compressing gain stages (as in rythm) but exactly why the leads aren't jumping out at you. Noone would go up to a session player in nashville and say I don't know what amp we're using, play this sim. Especially blues guys with their volume/tone knobs constantly changing. Similar can be said about gainey tube amps! Instead of twisting knobs its pick angle/attack, digging in etc.

edit: and I'll add almost none of this would be noticable in a metal track, and is strictly for guitar fags like me :)

And edits are SO much less noticeable when they're to the DI's, rather than to already recorded tracks! (cuz if you have to have a slightly nasty edit, it gets smoothed over going through a mega distortion sandwich, rather than editing the already distorted harmonically-rich recorded track)

Sweet....I should record DI's and do a Dragonforce to my wizards sleeve sloppy rhythms.

I thought it wouldn't matter what you edited.

No idea. I think for the most part they follow the 's' rule. I prefer the US spelling myself - less letters, more efficiency! So you'll usually find me saying 'mom', 'armor', 'favor', 'brutallzzzz'.

I've never reamped but always thought in the back of my mind, the only way to get a true 'performance' out of an amp was to actually play it. The way you react with the guitar, through the amp, affecting the speakers, it can be percussive. I'm 100% sure I play different depending on the tone.

I agree with that, but I don't think that's the problem with reamp. You can play through your amp and record the DI track at the same time, right? Just be careful with feedbacks

No idea. I think for the most part they follow the 's' rule. I prefer the US spelling myself - less letters, more efficiency! So you'll usually find me saying 'mom', 'armor', 'favor', 'brutallzzzz'.

the s is preferred, but the z is correct as well!