Does reamping suck tone?

I try the two options myself, one direct into my 5150II, and one reamped with the same setting, mic position....The remped tone was better for my hears, a litle different in a positive way....I don't know why........

I think the problem is the way we track guitars.
If you record DI's using an amp simulator, the guitarist's touch is based on that sound.

This is very true! When I track guitars for myself I am aware of that issue and make sure I attack the strings and play aggressively, When I am recording other guitarist I take time to explain to them that the amp sim is not nearly as dynamic as a real amp, and as long as they play like they have balls it will carry over when it comes time to re-amp. And I know this sounds corny but I will almost always use a singer as an example, basically I tell them that if a singer is trying to convey anger and is not really in that mindset, does not have things memorized and lacks confidence then typically it will sound fake, and I tell them the same thing applies to tracking guitars. If they only concentrate on note placement and accuracy and no feel then it will probable sound like shit.
Amp sims do have a tendency to turn guitar players into a soft touch, you just have make them aware of that.

I consider the reamping process, a thing that comes after the recording, the micing etc... I mean, you have to record DI's as a backup or when the recording process is difficult. But if you can record guitars properly, I would use DI's only if I notice some tone problems after the recording.
Anyway, I think Mark Morton has the opportunity to have lot of time in studio to find his tone. In that case, reamp is only for backup.
But at the same time, when we track in a "not-ideal" situation like bedrooms or, for example, where Andy tracked Exodus...it's a usefull kit.

About amp sims, they kill a little the dynamics...if you touch a little the strings it sounds like it's played very hard...but if you record a DI in this way, an amp will sound like shit.

I agree with a lot of what's been said. I personally prefer to record through real amp myself when I'm playing, but are a lot of other guitars who really don't seem to care.

For example, if I track a band, and the guitarist normally uses a Peavey Transtube or something, I can get him a much better feel and tone out of my PODxt while tracking than he'd ever get out of his own equipment.

Nevermind that I did a comparison a loooooong time ago on this and put it on the forum haha. All we found was that the reamped track sounded more "excited" than the original. This was with NO changes made to the amp/cab/mic/anything. In a mix it would be a null point, really.

But - I think it is true that a player will change his touch based on the amp he/she is using during tracking. Ideally you would want to record all the takes for the final tracks through say a 6505, edit DI's, you know get everything perfect, then reamp through the 6505 as well. Unfortunately, sometimes you do have to use a different amp, or you just want to, or the player wants to.

I think some of it might have to do with the interaction of a guitar and a cranked amp. Makes the strings pop, feedback a tiny bit, and feel more "alive". I know that when I'm jamming with a drummer, the strings seem to anticipate what I want to do, and when I'm just playing by myself I have to push it a little bit.

I think some of it might have to do with the interaction of a guitar and a cranked amp. Makes the strings pop, feedback a tiny bit, and feel more "alive". I know that when I'm jamming with a drummer, the strings seem to anticipate what I want to do, and when I'm just playing by myself I have to push it a little bit.

Yeah, but how many of us track in the same room as the cabinet? What pro tracks in the same room as the cabinet??

Yeah, but how many of us track in the same room as the cabinet? What pro tracks in the same room as the cabinet??

Seriously - honestly, I'm not ruling out that it could be happening subconsciously, but I've been playing and recording for so long through so many different sources of tone (digital and analog alike) that I really don't think my playing changes depending what I play through since I'm so used to it! I will say that I feel Pods especially hide mistakes in playing though, but that's just a matter of tightness vs. slop, especially in terms of muting ringing strings and little noises and stuff

Seriously - honestly, I'm not ruling out that it could be happening subconsciously, but I've been playing and recording for so long through so many different sources of tone (digital and analog alike) that I really don't think my playing changes depending what I play through since I'm so used to it! I will say that I feel Pods especially hide mistakes in playing though, but that's just a matter of tightness vs. slop, especially in terms of muting ringing strings and little noises and stuff

Totally agree with the POD thing, when I recorded with a POD and then reamped all kinds of new mistakes came out! Must be the compression. When I recorded with an Axe-FX it was much better when reamping this time.

Yeah, now that I'm using the ampsim-impulse route for DI's, I find it's accurate enough that there are no nasty surprises when I re-amp; definitely a blessing!

I have a kind of off topic question for you guys.

Many of you talk about tracking D.I.s with an amp sim because it makes editing easier. Why is this exactly?

Do you simply cut the D.I. track in the necessary spots, monitor through the amp sim track, then reamp through the real amp?

-Joe

Exactly Joe.

It's easier to see what is going on with the DI track because it's not compressed distortion signal.

And edits are SO much less noticeable when they're to the DI's, rather than to already recorded tracks! (cuz if you have to have a slightly nasty edit, it gets smoothed over going through a mega distortion sandwich, rather than editing the already distorted harmonically-rich recorded track)

Metaltastic said:
And edits are SO much less noticeable when they're to the DI's, rather than to already recorded tracks! (cuz if you have to have a slightly nasty edit, it gets smoothed over going through a mega distortion sandwich, rather than editing the already distorted harmonically-rich recorded track)

This too! Great point.

Exactly Joe.

It's easier to see what is going on with the DI track because it's not compressed distortion signal.

^^^^This

Its far easier to see the transients on a d.i track than on a re-amped track so it makes the whole cut slip and crossfade thing a lot more convenient especially as you can instantly monitor the results using an ampsim

i personally love the colouring my re-amp box does haha its weird i don't understand it, but it works wonders.

Ah I see, thanks dudes!

I'm still a bit confused on how to set the track up and route this in Logic 8.

I also need to read up on reamping as I've never dabbled!

-Joe