SSD Virtual Instrument Question.

jimwilbourne

I try.
Aug 20, 2010
Boston, MA
for some reason I just can't find the answer.

so I'm going to be buying SSD or SSD Trigger in the next couple of weeks and I wanted to know a couple of things that I was unsure of based on the product overviews.

Does Virtual Instrument act as a "drum machine" or does it have another function?
Can you use it to export MIDI files of your drums?

here's the reasoning:
I'm tracking preproduction. I'll be mixing it for when the band enters the studio with a... better... producer. haha
But they want to go in with the new guy with all the drums completely finished. so I'll be giving the producer MIDI files of the drums so that they don't have to drum track again.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I know I might get a redirection to another thread, but for some reason, I'm not typing in the right things to search for this.

thanks!

a "virtual instrument" is something that makes noise when you feed it MIDI. none of the slate products, to my knowledge, will aid you in the actual programming of any MIDI. atleast not the way ezdrummer/ezplayer will.

Can you use it to export MIDI files of your drums?

not sure what you mean by that, but I think the answer is probably no. SSD ships with a kontakt player. all the kontakt player does is create sound when MIDI is fed to it. trigger i have not used but from what i understand functions basically as a glorified/modernized drumagog.

so you could use any instrument...BFD, a bunch of kontakt players, battery, superior, whatever... if you're only exporting MIDI, at the end of the day all that matters is that your notes adhere generally to GM standards.

in fact, if you were super smart and had the GM maps memorized, you could program drum MIDI without any instrument at all. you'd just have no idea what it actually sounds like until you send it through a VSTi.

p.s GM maps = general MIDI, just a standard set of notes that usually correspond to certain kit elements. example: kick/snare is represented by the same MIDI notes in just about any drum sequencing instrument. i think C1 and D1? off the top of my head?

facebook me if you still have any more questions.