SSL G-Master Buss Compressor Settings

laszlozsolt82

Feb 5, 2010
Cluj Napoca, Romania
I can t mix without a master bus comp, so i decided to ask what settings are recomended for master bus, also to not push to hard the mix just to glue together so to let do the mastering enginer his job.
Are there better plugins for master bus? Which is the most used for this kind of comp out there?

So many in fact:lol:

30ms/auto release/2:1 ratio 4db GR
30ms/0.1/2:1 ratio/4db GR
30ms/0.1/4:1/8db GR (good luck with this on plug:lol: personatly I failed on it)

Hardware work better for this imo

i've been using ssl gcomp for like 3 years now... and the other day i tried to use a different master bus compressor

i spent a few hours messing with it and then put ssl gcomp back on

fml im stuck with this compressor forever cuz i hate everything that isnt it

i've been using ssl gcomp for like 3 years now... and the other day i tried to use a different master bus compressor

i spent a few hours messing with it and then put ssl gcomp back on

fml im stuck with this compressor forever cuz i hate everything that isnt it

Really ? - Even the Waves API 2500 ?

TBH I don't get the deal with the 2500 plug-in. It sounds like shit compared to the hardware, and doesn't even match up on bus work to stuff like the Old Timer or The Glue. As mentioned above, none of them can beat hardware for dealing with complex source material. My GSSL just pumps in such an awesome way, I'll likely get another just to use on parallel drum bus work like the Staubmeister.

Do you guys know where I can buy a pre-built GSSL clone? I have been googling for a while and have come up with nothing but links to DIY build pages, but no one that sells them.

I was considering the Chameleon Labs 7720 as a possible alternative.

Do you guys know where I can buy a pre-built GSSL clone? I have been googling for a while and have come up with nothing but links to DIY build pages, but no one that sells them.

CL 7720 is quite a viable alternative IMO. We are getting one in about a month! WHEW!

Can't wait to have some REAL ANALOG STYLE GOODNESS on my 2-buss. SSL stylee.

TBH I don't get the deal with the 2500 plug-in. It sounds like shit compared to the hardware, and doesn't even match up on bus work to stuff like the Old Timer or The Glue. As mentioned above, none of them can beat hardware for dealing with complex source material. My GSSL just pumps in such an awesome way, I'll likely get another just to use on parallel drum bus work like the Staubmeister.

That's the problem you got to quite with all this comparing. It's a really good "plugin" compressor

Waves API 2500 all the way on my master buss!!!!! Love it, glues everything together, even if it doesn't sound like the original it still kicks serious arse!!!

Good luck with getting 8dB or more out of software,

+1 I tryed myself but without good result:lol:

If you doesn't want/can't build a gssl you have other possibility

For SSL 2buss like:
SSL4K/9K :)lol: ok I joke sorry)
SSL Xlogic rack
Alan research (Alan Smart) C1/C2

But you have many alternatives like:
EL distressor
SPL kultube
DBX 160SL

SSL like are most used because his work on pratically everything but different comp can work with some situation (see below for short list).

I've never heard a real 2500, BUT, I will say that I agree that the 2500 has never done it for me at all. Something about it I just don't like.

It can get very mid-forward sounding which is a trademark of most API stuff, but I just don't like what it does on the 2-buss..

If you doesn't want/can't build a gssl you have other possibility

For SSL 2buss like:
SSL4K/9K :)lol: ok I joke sorry)
SSL Xlogic rack
Alan research (Alan Smart) C1/C2

But you have many alternatives like:
EL distressor
SPL kultube
DBX 160SL

SSL like are most used because his work on pratically everything but different comp can work with some situation (see below for short list).

All nice units but all out of my price range, except maybe the distressor

Hey Ermz! I was checking your gear list at your myspace and I just wonder how do you manage your chain/connections between the multiface and all your hardware gear, GSSL, Millenia.....

Do you use AD/DA of the multiface?? I´m designing my next purchaise list so I´m very interested in the way you´ve invested in your stuff, not so many, but so great :kickass: