SSL G-Master Buss Compressor Settings

Hey Ermz! I was checking your gear list at your myspace and I just wonder how do you manage your chain/connections between the multiface and all your hardware gear, GSSL, Millenia.....

Do you use AD/DA of the multiface?? I´m designing my next purchaise list so I´m very interested in the way you´ve invested in your stuff, not so many, but so great :kickass:

Now let's see how usefull would be search function:lol:

GSSL=2 I/O
1176= 4 I/O
Millenia=1 I/O
Monitor=2 O
All this= need more I/O for future purchase (it's what Erm requested a couple of day before)
And he use multiface as converter without patchbay.
Btw all hardware are always connected so if Ermin need to use is millenia for tracking and mixing, he need to patch/repatch every time (or patch both and use totalmix routing feature but his past post doesn't reveal any use of this:D).

Btw I already answering about this but best purchase you can made with converter (on your price range) are ADI8 pro.
Ideal low cost chain for get max I/O would be 2 multiface with 2 ADI8.;)

Take a look at this video guys!

It is Jens Bogren from Fascination Street studio from Orebo mixing Ihsahn s new record,(Emperor) and i see 2 Waves plugs on the screen the first it s The API 2500, and then the SSL G master Bus, so i think both of them are great plugs if hi is using them. I don t no if he is using on master bus, i thin he used Api 2500 first on the Drum bus and the SSL on Master Bus.....but maybe i am vrong :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i see that he uses also the distressor at the end but maybe he is Mastering at that point :), and he definetly uses the plugs in the mix, I got this record ,must say it is killer sounding \m/

But 2buss comp is first step with mastering:loco:
As you can see on vid, Jens use SSL comp on drum bus (or channel bus) but not in 2bus.
I don't think he stack 2buss comp as you say (SSL comp + distressor:Smug:)

You guys can't tell that much detail from this video - you have no idea what he's using on what. For all we know the API comp could've been on vox and the SSL on a drum bus, with the distressor on a guitar bus or something - you really cannot tell.

And stacking the 2bus with an SSL + outboard is perfectly fine - Andy does it for mastering.

You guys can't tell that much detail from this video - you have no idea what he's using on what. For all we know the API comp could've been on vox and the SSL on a drum bus, with the distressor on a guitar bus or something - you really cannot tell.

And stacking the 2bus with an SSL + outboard is perfectly fine - Andy does it for mastering.

Right but it's was just supposition (see my post below):worship:

Smart C2 for me...
sometimes Dual Mono, sometimes stereo.
30/0.1/4dB for most metal
30/Auto/4dB for metal/radiorock
3-10/autio/2-6dB for pop, Punk, other stuff

usually 2:1 or 3:1 ratio

Smart C2 for me...
sometimes Dual Mono, sometimes stereo.
30/0.1/4dB for most metal
30/Auto/4dB for metal/radiorock
3-10/autio/2-6dB for pop, Punk, other stuff

usually 2:1 or 3:1 ratio

Sorry for my lake of knowedge about this Lasse but what major difference betwen dual mono and stereo with C2 if you use same setting for both?
Or do you fine adjust setting between L and R with dual mono like 30/auto/4db L and 3,5db R?

I asking because I plan to get an AS myself:worship:

Dual mono sounds wider and more open in the low mids, you'll have to adjust the the threshold to get the same GR.
I'm often using stereo though cause it's easier and I don't have to fanny about with signal generators, meters etc to make sure both sides are compressing equally (I don't trust the pots for that;) ).

but yes, I wouln't have a different compression going on L and R

Dual mono sounds wider and more open in the low mids, you'll have to adjust the the threshold to get the same GR.
I'm often using stereo though cause it's easier and I don't have to fanny about with signal generators, meters etc to make sure both sides are compressing equally (I don't trust the pots for that;) ).

but yes, I wouln't have a different compression going on L and R

Thanks for this clarification Lasse;)

And btw, how do you do for post a mess 2second before my reply?:lol: