ssl gcomp vs c1 master bus comparison

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
so i just did an a/b master on a mix im working on

and i could not tell a difference between the ssl g-comp and the c1 (same settings on each)

unfortunately i can't post the result =\

but im curious, anyone else do comparisons between high and low budget plugins and find great results for the low budget end...

I don't have much input on the technical side of things, but it is pretty well known especially around here that you can get professional results with so-called "amateur" plugins. I don't have the cash for high end plugins so I can't really do an AB, but I have been using cheap and free plugins for a while now and I've never felt the need to upgrade. It's the hardware that has an intense love affair with my bank account :Smokin:

I found the SSL gcomp to be similar to my C2 on moderate settings.
with more than 4dB the C2 definitely does the better job though.
also: the C2 can be used in dual-mono, which gives a wider and more open image.....
I know Andy used to use the C2 and is now using the Gcomp....
both work, I just like the C2 better....using a plugin is more comfortable though, I guess that's Why Andy decided to go with the plug

I found that my GSSL completely dominated the Waves SSl Bus-comp. I did some shoot-outs a while back with different comps over entire mixes, and the GSSL won by consensus. The plug-in has this way of making things sound smaller, and not grabbing transients the same way. Part of why I use a bus comp is transient smoothing, so having the Waves plug-in just doing that standard boring plug-in 'splatt' thing just doesn't work. As Lasse mentioned, at more drastic GR settings, the plug-in poops itself.

As far as plug-ins go, I know many folks prefer the cheaper 'The Glue' plug-in to the Waves SSL.

the secret i found with the ssl bus comp is to use it in dual mono. Otherwise the stereo imagine vanishes. That said. I don't use/or own it, just demoed and used it at other studios.

IMO the waves SSL comp only works with little settings!!!But it does a great job with the soft one...
With the CLA, api, V-comp, and the H-comp compressors you can go crazy:)

About the hardware. Never used one but Lasse did an AMAZING job with his c2 on my bands mastering!!!!!!

so i just did an a/b master on a mix im working on

and i could not tell a difference between the ssl g-comp and the c1 (same settings on each)

unfortunately i can't post the result =

but im curious, anyone else do comparisons between high and low budget plugins and find great results for the low budget end...

not to perpetuate an unconfirmed rumor, but it's been long talked about how waves recycles their plugins, and just add a new GUI. So the c1 sounding similar to their g-comp, wouldn't surprise me at all.

IMO the waves SSL comp only works with little settings!!!But it does a great job with the soft one...
With the CLA, api, V-comp, and the H-comp compressors you can go crazy:)

About the hardware. Never used one but Lasse did an AMAZING job with his c2 on my bands mastering!!!!!!

I ALWAYS use extreme settings with waves comps, I love how they react with them, very punchy.