St Paul, MN Show

nlukes

Apr 21, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
HOLY SH*****T !!!!!!!

Ok, that is my impression of last night's St Paul performance.

For starters, a major snowstorm hit the area and the roads were treacherous to say the least. Despite the horrible road conditions, a fair amount of people came out to see the band. What a show it was!!.. I have seen the Maidens 3 times since 2004 and without a doubt, last night's line up was the best show that I have seen. There is a unity onstage in the performance that was somehow lacking before. All of the members look very happy to be there and all of the pieces fit.

The new member Heather has an incredible stage presence and I loved the cute trots thru the audience and riding on the stage manager's shoulder's once during the night. She is a great addition to the band, no doubt!

I feel bad that the Maidens had to endure such a terrible drive from Madison to get to the show, however one would never know it from their performance. The energy of the band was so intense! It was "blow your head off intense". At one time, Aja was just screaming to try to raise the intensity just one more notch.....if possible. All of that energy coming from Linda and her tiny frame, I have no idea how she does it. It was cool seeing Wanda rock out alot more this time. Stage left and stage right have the wild flying hair of Sara and Heather with the killer guitar sounds. Excellent performance everyone!

Station 4 is known to be a very boomy room, however the soundman did a KILLER job last night. Very ballsy and all instruments heard thru the mix. The sound vibe off coming from the mains was that of a major rock concert sound. Plus I do love the raised stage at this venue. A good view for all. The Maidens seemed to be enjoying it alot too.

Sara, it was great getting to meet you this time. Thanks for spending the time to chat with me.

Well I better wind this down. I didn't hardly sleep last night after getting home. The band brought the energy so high that it was hard to come down. Now I understand why the Maidens usually lay low for several days after returning from a tour. They are probably catching up on their sleep. It must take them HOURS to come down from playing such a high energy show.

Again, sorry about our crappy Midwest weather. I pray that the band makes it to Fargo ok today. Thanks for leaving sunny warm California to entertain us. :headbang:

Great review - made me really want to be there!! :D ...setlist?

Different World
Die With Your Boots On
Wasted Years
Killers
Revelations
Flight Of Icarus
22 Acacia Avenue
Alexander The Great
The Number Of The Beast
The Trooper
Fear Of The Dark
Phantom Of The Opera
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Run To The Hills

AWESOME show!! Was definitely worth driving in shitty weather and crappy road conditions to experience this rare treat. I was right up front the whole time. "MiniMurray" personally handed me one of her guitar picks. After the show was over all the bandmembers signed autographs and mingled with everyone who stuck around. I was able to get a copy of a setlist and all five signed it!

Thanks for the autographs ladies and hope you can come back to the Twin Cities again sometime. How about in July or August next time? :loco:

UP THE IRONS!!! :headbang:

Different World
Die With Your Boots On
Wasted Years
Killers
Revelations
Flight Of Icarus
22 Acacia Avenue
Alexander The Great
The Number Of The Beast
The Trooper
Fear Of The Dark
Phantom Of The Opera
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Run To The Hills

AWESOME show!! Was definitely worth driving in shitty weather and crappy road conditions to experience this rare treat. I was right up front the whole time. "MiniMurray" personally handed me one of her guitar picks. After the show was over all the bandmembers signed autographs and mingled with everyone who stuck around. I was able to get a copy of a setlist and all five signed it!

Thanks for the autographs ladies and hope you can come back to the Twin Cities again sometime. How about in July or August next time? :loco:

UP THE IRONS!!! :headbang:

Thank you!! Seems like it was quite a show! :D

Nancy and Vic - it was great to see you and thank YOU for braving that weather. I couldn't agree more about the Sound at Station 4- it was absolutely outstanding. Spud, the soundman, ruled it that night and I have to agree - the band was on FIRE!!!!

The occasion - it being Don's benefit and the reason we were there in the first place, plus all we had gone though to get there - was inspiring for us. He's a wonderful guy who is completely committed to the music and the scene and he had a great time, as well, which really made us happy. What a Trooper!

Here's the road story for you guys who couldn't be there....

We left early enough to avoid the worst part of the storm but our stage show props weren't as fortunate! Those of you that were there shared a unique moment in our history - it was the first time we had done the show without any bells and whistles - not even an Eddie in sight!!!

Just us, the audience and the music. It gave it a very intimate feeling. I had so much fun and it was a personal best as far as shows are concerned. I don't usually say that but that show was really special. We all felt it. We're looking forward to coming back- in nicer weather! :p

nice meeting you too nancy, and vic! i agree with aja - st. paul will always be a special show for the history books, but more so for the great vibe that was going off during the show. i'll share some pics when i get back from az :)

too much metal for one hand \m/ these folks rocked out with me the whole friggin set!! :headbang:

wi_stpaul_longestmetalsign.jpg

That's me!!

I have never been there myself but a few years ago my sister and her husband took a trip to London. I asked them if they would stop by R.A. and pick me up a T-shirt which they did. Someone once offered to buy that shirt from me. I of course, declined.

Cool!!! I went there in October and even got a photo on the stage! :D It's really amazing to be in the place with so much rock history. :headbang:

Some photos if you'd like to see - http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/iron-maidens/342901-ruskin-arms-other-london-stories.html

Cool!!! I went there in October and even got a photo on the stage! :D It's really amazing to be in the place with so much rock history. :headbang:

Some photos if you'd like to see - http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/iron-maidens/342901-ruskin-arms-other-london-stories.html

I know exactly what you mean, Jenna! That's how I felt when I recorded with Clarence Clemons at the old Ocean Way Studio in Hollywood. We recorded in the big room where so many records important to recorded music history were made. I'm talking waaaaay back in the day - with artists like Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole... (I'm sure there's a list somewhere out there in Googleland! :loco:) But you could really feel it, like it had soaked into the walls - it's akin to the feeling you get when you walk into an old church. It was so inspiring.
You could feel it in Silvercloud Studios, too, where we recorded our first CD. But they had other extra stuff going on there...like the ghost we encountered on our last day! :eek: :lol:

I know exactly what you mean, Jenna! That's how I felt when I recorded with Clarence Clemons at the old Ocean Way Studio in Hollywood. We recorded in the big room where so many records important to recorded music history were made. I'm talking waaaaay back in the day - with artists like Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole... (I'm sure there's a list somewhere out there in Googleland! :loco:) But you could really feel it, like it had soaked into the walls - it's akin to the feeling you get when you walk into an old church. It was so inspiring.
You could feel it in Silvercloud Studios, too, where we recorded our first CD. But they had other extra stuff going on there...like the ghost we encountered on our last day! :eek: :lol:

Ah yes, energy imprints. There probably is alot of residual energy on that St Paul stage that you played on too. Maybe that added to the magical show that the Maidens had that night. Many great metal bands have played that stage for decades now.

Wow, that must have been such an inspiration to you!! It's a wondeful feeling, especially when it's an artist you respect so much.