Stage Presence. 'nuff Said.

Tyler_Metal

Spare Me Poseidon
Nov 3, 2010
myspace.com
Ok, so my band Spare Me Poseidon has made a lot of headway in the short time we've been under that name. (We were in the band a lot longer, but wanted a fresh start.)
We have already played 2 shows this past month and we have about 6 booked all the way through December so far, one of them playing at a two day festival for a record label and another opening for MyChildren MyBride.
I am quite new to playing shows. Those 2 shows are my only actual shows that weren't at a school or in someone's garage. Now, I am not a shitty guitar player. Playing the music is not my problem. My problem is moving around on stage. I really want to find a way to build my confidence up enough to start running around. I watched the video we took of our last performance and aside from head banging and the occasional body movement, I was a statue. Which is a pity because I would love to be right in the faces of the crowd when I do lazy breakdowns or when I play my solo. I was scared to fall on my face or something else embarrassing. Now I really want to work on this. I'm still hooked up to my amp which doesn't help. I'm working on getting a wireless, but I still want to be able to get a bit crazier nevertheless.

Any tips would help me a lot.
Thanks guys.

Practice playing the set while looking ahead and pace forward,left and right every 15 seconds or so then. Do it very deliberately. Some coordination with the rest of the band in key passages during the set will go a long way.

It's the kind of thing where you're never going to do it unless you just say "fuck it" and do it. It's the same with anything that takes an amount of confidence you don't believe you posses. Practicing helps, so you don't look like a complete fool, but you're never going to do it until you just forget about your doubts and go for it.

Also, everyone makes fuckups, also the more experienced artists, I remember Orion from behemoth saying he fell off stage into the photographers pit. Or alexi laiho fucking up his guitar swing, there are youtube vids of that.

Shit happens, and if it happens, just continue and act like it didn't happen.
Just make sure you don't mess up your playing too much when doing crazy shit on stage.

Practice playing with your eyes closed, or in a dark room. Work on playing by feel rather than sight. Most guitarists do this anyway by instinct, but inevitably, the natural tendency (especially if nervous) is to look down or at your guitar/hands, so just practice by yourself in an environment where looking down isn't going to help you.

At a gig, don't obsess over "rocking out" but do try to at least spend some of your time looking out at the audience. Keep in mind that you're up there doing what many of them WISH they were doing.

Your practice room is your friend here!! After we've warmed up and run some stuff, during practice I try and run around, jump about, spin around, do whatever I feel like, it's like dancing in front of a mirror for cool people.

You can then tell from the reactions of your bandmates whether what you're doing is working performance-wise. If you're jumping up on a table, smashing your foot down, throwing your head around and ripping your way through a solo, and your bandmates are looking at you like "holy shit that's cool, can you believe this guy, awesome", then do it live. if you're lying prone on the ground air-humping the shit out of your guitar in your own private moment with your eyes closed, and the music stops, and when you open your eyes everyone has left, then don't do it live.

if you're lying prone on the ground air-humping the shit out of your guitar in your own private moment with your eyes closed, and the music stops, and when you open your eyes everyone has left, then don't know it live.

But but but... That's my FAVORITE!!!! Everyone should do this!!!!

Hahaha in all seriousness, like Winds said up there you just have to grow a set and go for it, and it should feel natural to you, not like you are forcing it.

yeah and film it, then you'll learn a lot. kiss filmed their early shows i believe, and couldn't believe how little they moved. it's easier than ever to film now. here's a clip from a recent show, recorded on a mate's iphone, i'm on the right. small stage but you can still make it look as if you're putting a bit of effort in, as long as you have big swooshy hair!!

as you can see, we've got a long way to go! other fun things to do include getting on your knees in the prayer position, sticking your foot on the monitors, and air-kicking :)

Last edited by a moderator:
High energy works the best. I recently saw a band, their sound was awful but they were entertaining as hell cause of what they did on stage.

Thanks guys haha.
I actually pretty much just said fuck it.
My second show was pretty much me moving as far as my cable would let me.
Then I got me a wireless system and now I'm taking off every where! Haha

Good job !!

Sorry I wasn't quick enough to respond. I am no teacher anyway....

I will say these things just for kicks........

if you drink alchohol.... drink a couple of beers before the show. I don't want to overstate it, but I mean two. Drunk people can't sing or play an instrument, but a couple of beers will take the bugs out of the stomach some. If you don't drink, you are probably better off anyway... so don't start....

Next, look at people in the audience when playing. Don't stare at your guitar or off into space. Ronnie James Dio was one of the greatest frontmen ever because he looked at EVERYONE in the audience. No reason a guitarist can't do that as well. Point at someone who is really getting off on your band while he/she is looking at you and then nod your head. You will feel special and so will the person. That is interaction.

Play the guitar behind your head while scratching your left ball. Just joking !!

Make guitar faces when playing a solo. It can be overdone, but it is difficult to do.

Hump your guitar, set it on fire, then go break some shit on the stage. Not really

Bryant