Started building my (small) studio

Sorry for the lack of updates but I've been very busy, I was also waiting for all the remaining cables and screws for the console, some paintings and cleaning have been undercourse too.

Meanwhile I installed all the modules and rack strips on the Recording room rack.
Here is the installation in steps.

Laying down the rack to pass the cables through the base
Rec%20Room%20Rack%20panels%2001.jpg

All cables passed through the front of the rack
Rec%20Room%20Rack%20panels%2002.jpg

Standing up the rack
Rec%20Room%20Rack%20panels%2003.jpg

Installed some hooks to attach the cables with ties
Rec%20Room%20Rack%20panels%2004.jpg

All the modules and strips installed
Rec%20Room%20Rack%20panels%2005.jpg

And the move of the gear from my room to the studio has officially started!!!!!! :Smokin: :headbang:

I am going to open all the gear to clean them before installing on the racks so it will take some time to do it.

Looking amazing man! Very jealous.

Curiousity, what is the standard method for running cabling from one room to another in a pre-existing facility without floating the floor and building channels like you did? My setup is embarassing compared to what you've got but once I have my space this summer it's just going to be a control room and a live room that we're going to construct in the basement of a house and I'm going to run a snake from the control room out into the live room, but I'm not sure how to do it? Creating a passage between the walls would create too much of a problem with sound travelling between the rooms wouldn't it?

It's going to be a fairly amateur setup really, I'm planning on basically dividing an already existing long room in the basement into 2 rooms with a double wall in between them to provide a little bit of extra isolation, but I'm not going to go all out and build rooms within both of the rooms, just a decent gap between the main wall they would both share...

It looks absolutely incredible man, but three 192's?! Jesus christ, who the hell are you recording that you need that many I/O options?

Why do you prefer these Rack N Roll units over some fixed racks? I think they'd be in my way all the time... :loco:What's all the outboard for if you're mixing in the box on PT?? o_O

Mobile racks are the best solution IMO. You can move & angle them in case you need more space in the CR.

He can mix ITB but still use his outboard for recording. You can hammer Analog when recording. Something you can't with digital. Especially with PT which is limited to 24bit max. Analog + Digital= best of both worlds :headbang:

i think i dribble a bit every time this thread comes up...
this wud be my dream, you have made me think recently that i should take out a massive loan when i come out of uni... although finding the property would be soo hard!

i love it man! it looks wicked

Dude, no converters in existence can record at more than 24 bit, though PT and other DAW's do their internal processing at higher bit rates.

Yeah, but for example the Fatso is not the type of a comp that you'd use for recording but for mixdown from what I've heard. So what's it for?

Who said that? Keep this in mind : there is no rule for the way a gear / Plug-in should be used. I made some of my best vocal FX with Guitar plug-ins.

Fatso emulates the "tape sound". I put it in the compressors' category. It can be used at any step of a project.

With experience, engineers learn to color the sound at the recording stage. It's more risky since you can't go back but things are going much faster. Coloring the sound at the recording stage doesn't give the same caracter than recording a flat track & adding FX later. As i said you can hammer the analog signal before the DAW. Something you can't when it's ITB. Even if some plug-in developpers pretend the opposite :) I don't know any plug-in insert that can handle +20dB :puke:

@Fatso: Obviously I missinterpreted something. And of course I should have taken the "Use what sounds good"-rule into consideration!

@PT/24Bit: I read the post like PT couldn't process at more than 24 Bit internally. This is what kinda surprised me. But ah well, another missinterpretation here... :loco:

This is so inspirational Eddy! I`m lucky because i am inheriting my family farm totally debt free, and I have allready got the place to build my studio when the time comes. I will be sure to post pics when I start building my studio as well. Might be a couple of years though :(

Wow, lot's of talking about those pics :lol:

Looking amazing man! Very jealous.

Curiousity, what is the standard method for running cabling from one room to another in a pre-existing facility without floating the floor and building channels like you did? My setup is embarassing compared to what you've got but once I have my space this summer it's just going to be a control room and a live room that we're going to construct in the basement of a house and I'm going to run a snake from the control room out into the live room, but I'm not sure how to do it? Creating a passage between the walls would create too much of a problem with sound travelling between the rooms wouldn't it?

In my case, since I did the floating floor, the cable runs are between the wood studs, you can see it in the first pages how it was done.
If you don't have a floating floor, the best way is to have 1 insulated box on each room connected by cable on the same wall but not directly opposite, have a difference of 1-2mt between the boxes.
With the rockwool/fibreglass the sound will attenuate.

Something like this, (hope you understand my fast drawing, ignore the dashes) :lol:

box control room
|____|___________________________________
---\
----\_________________________
_____________________________\ __________
------------------------------------|____|
-----------------------------box recording room

It looks absolutely incredible man, but three 192's?! Jesus christ, who the hell are you recording that you need that many I/O options?

An orchestra?
Nope :)

A metal drummer!!!!!! :headbang:

It's easy to run out of 16 mic channels
Think about mics and triggers

I may also record a band rehearsal.

Why do you prefer these Rack N Roll units over some fixed racks? I think they'd be in my way all the time... :loco:What's all the outboard for if you're mixing in the box on PT?? o_O

The Rack N Rolls were chosen because I was getting out of space to put the gear, so these two will fit (most of it) below the console.
I have also a normal 3 and 2 bay racks on the sides.

Who said anything about InTheBox? :lol:
I use stems in to the Dangerous 2Bus.
The outboard is used mostly inline between the 192s and the 2Bus, or as inserts in PT.
My normal path is:
- Stems out of PT through the 192s (16ch)
- Pass them through compressors or/and Eqs
- Into the Dangerous 2Bus
- Stereo out of the 2Bus into Ibis EQ and then SSL FX384/Smart C2/Focusrite 330
- Then into the HEDD conversion and processing (normally Pentode and Tape)
- Then into PT by AES/EBU

Mix is ready!!!! :lol:

Yeah, but for example the Fatso is not the type of a comp that you'd use for recording but for mixdown from what I've heard. So what's it for? :loco:WTF? PT can't handle mor than 24 Bit?? :zombie:

I use it more for mixdown, great on the Guitar bus stem.