Started building my (small) studio

wow man, this inspired my first post hahah!

I am in the process of renovating my control room in my new home, as well as building a tracking room and this just completely blew my mind! such an amazing process to witness and really helped me decide on some things construction wise.....

thanks so much for sharing man and all the best to you! the recordings sounded awesome too :)

-Patrick

Thanks for the kind words Patrick.
That is the whole point of doing this. I wished I had some threads like these when I started building my studio.

Now an update:
More (drastic) tests have started :loco:
This is how the Control Room was looking like a few days ago :err:

Front_Bass_Trap_Empty.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't correct it yet.
I took the whole front basstrap off, reduced the Argosy Console size and I have a panel hanged waiting to do some tests but I need 1 full day or 2 just for those tests and others that I have to do.
I have always work to do and other priorities so it is always being pushed back in time.
Since I had to take some gear off and cover it all to take the front panel off I took the opportunity to do a complete change in the racks placement and new ones that made me change the patching and routing of practically all the cables.
It just made me mad to do it all!!! :bah:

I hope I can do the tests this month. Well, that is what I think every month that goes by :cry:

I have just finished correcting all the links.

Damn Apple for ending up Mobile Me, I had to correct all the links, and I had to do the same some years ago when they ended homepagemac.com.

I'll never trust them again, now it's on Dropbox!!

Shortly I'll post some pics of how the studio is right now.
New layout and new gear :headbang:

Yeah but that doesn't make it any less of a pain in the ass to have to move your files over and re-link tons of pics...

Before I post pics as of it is now, here are a couple more pics of more tests I did:

tests with panel between monitors --> ceiling --> listening position
varying the height of the panel.

Made a bit of a difference but not as much as I expected.

Control Room Correction 30.jpg

Control Room Correction 31.jpg

Control Room Correction 32.jpg

Test with different panels on corners. Also made a bit of a difference, but not as much as I liked :)

Control Room Correction 33.jpg

Control Room Correction 34.jpg

Control Room Correction 36.jpg

Tests varying the position of the monitors left to right and distance between the console to the front wall with the monitors on top of the console.
This made the biggest difference.

Control Room Correction 35.jpg

I know more or less what has to be done, but for now I won't do anything, I'm sick of testing, repairs, construction, etc…

I took the whole front wall trap and also shorten the Argosy console as you can see on the pics so I can have the monitors closer to the wall.

The room has a bigger RT specially on the lows but I can work way better as it is than having that big hole in the 100-120Hz range.

Next will post updated pics of how the room is right now with upgraded racks. :cool:

Tudo bem Eduardo e que tal, já deste a rodagem à coluna, já te soa melhor ou nem por isso.
i can only imagine the pain of all that testing...
Maybe part of the solution is in fact position the desk and monitors up against the wall,
but with those monitors and it´s side drivers maybe that´s not viable.

Já fiz a rodagem à coluna sim, já está melhor :)

Since the side drivers are LF they aren't directional so it doesn't matter much.
For now I'm going to leave the desk and monitors near the wall, it has given me the best frequency response without big holes. It's the best frequency response I have reached in this control room.

Nice work!
I work in water damage restoration and I'd have to say make sure any water sources even remotely connected to that space is well maintained. Changing supply lines every 5 years and what-not. That would be a nightmare water damage and you'd be screwed by mold with your insurance company.