Starting to sample my own drums

jaredistheman

Feb 16, 2010
Memphis, Tn
I'm starting to sample my own drums for bands i'm recording (first band's drums i'm sampling will be in a couple days) and i'd really love to hear what type of processing you guys typically do on your personal samples. Mainly eq'ing tips on drums, like key frequencies to boost/cut on snare, toms, and kick.

Obviously everyone is different and i don't want to copy anyone. But i would like to know that "this frequency is good to boost on a snare to add more crack" or "i like to cut this frequency on the kick". As well as how to reduce or add "clickyness" through eq'ing or multi band compression. That's a major question i've had.

I'm pretty naive when it comes to getting drum sounds being a native guitar player. haha Just for reference, i'll be using an sm57 top and bottom, 2 over heads and a room mic for each drum.

Not set in stone, like i said i'm still very new. haha In my mind i just figured having a straight dry drum signal for each drum may sound a little to "fake" or just to "wet." I guess i can just see when i start sampling. Thanks so much for the link!

Depends on the sound of the drum.

Use your ears, listen to the drum and decide what it needs. Sweep the eq around and see what different frequencies add to the sound.

Dont rely on people online telling you how to eq your stuff, they cant hear the sample and the mix you're trying to fit it in. Learn to eq things yourself.

Awesome, good to know! I guess i wasn't looking for like a set guide, i just wanna hear what you guys typically do eqing and compression wise. After all, we are all here to learn! :)

I really legitimately want to find out how to make a kick more/less clicky.

Basically your gonna need a brand new heads on you kit that have been seated and tuned how your desire them to sound. Otherwise your samples are going to be lack in punch and clarity.

Then just used your ears, there is nothing set in stone. Click in kick sit at 1-2k, 3-4k, 8-10k, totally depends man on what type of click you after or boost all three for a really clicky sample. Snare body often sit around 200-400k, however nasty frequencies also sit in there towards the 350-500k mark so can d with fine EQ to attenuate them. and you can get some snap from the 4k region.

If youre using room mics as well, its a good idea to remove the cymbals when recording your drum hits, have found sometimes you can get some unwanted ring from them.

Probably a good idea to take the samples at the start of the session as well when the drums are nicely tuned with new heads on them.

If youre using room mics as well, its a good idea to remove the cymbals when recording your drum hits, have found sometimes you can get some unwanted ring from them.

Probably a good idea to take the samples at the start of the session as well when the drums are nicely tuned with new heads on them.

This is definitely the plan!

Thanks for the input guys, really helps a lot. I'm really stoked to start making my own samples so i'm not fitting into the typical "slate drums and pod guitars" AE style.