Steinberg UR22 and Shure SM7B

dboy1612

New Metal Member
Jul 22, 2014
Has anyone given using an SM7B and UR22 a shot, and possibly them both together? I'm looking in to upgrading my audio box (inexpensively) but hoping to have something that'll drive an SM7B as that at the moment is the Mic I have my eyes on.

After a bit of research and talking to a few at my local music store about the SM7B, the UR22 was suggested to me cause of the D-Pre's by Yamaha that it uses.

Does anyone have any experience? A little more insight would be nice before I go ahead and make purchases. Thanks. :)

why do you want the sm7b? sure it sounds great and its worth it's price but i would avoid it and get a higher output microphone. i'd suggest an Avantone CK-7 or if you'd like a more versatile one (in terms of easy placement, can be used without pop-filter) a handheld condenser like a Shure Beta 87C or Audio-Technica AE 5400.

dont know about the ur22, but but my ur824 works fine with the sm7
As does my ur28m.

Thanks! Same Pre's I believe, so that settles me a bit. :)

why do you want the sm7b? sure it sounds great and its worth it's price but i would avoid it and get a higher output microphone. i'd suggest an Avantone CK-7 or if you'd like a more versatile one (in terms of easy placement, can be used without pop-filter) a handheld condenser like a Shure Beta 87C or Audio-Technica AE 5400.

I'm aiming for it simply cause I've used it in the past, and a good number of Post Hardcore albums (from what I understand) have used it as well. I'm trying to aim to get the same quality of sound. If there's condenser mic can do the same quality output for singing and screaming without a price rise, I'd love to see it and check it out. Would those you suggested work for singing and screaming?

Would those you suggested work for singing and screaming?
They most certainly would work. Microphone characteristics are subtle so don't expect a big difference choosing one or another. If I had to chose I would get the ones I've posted any time except for the shake of using a sm7b. it's just a well known microphone. it doesn't mean it's better than anything else.

They most certainly would work. Microphone characteristics are subtle so don't expect a big difference choosing one or another. If I had to chose I would get the ones I've posted any time except for the shake of using a sm7b. it's just a well known microphone. it doesn't mean it's better than anything else.

I think you are wrong. Many cheap condensers in the 200-1500$ area has allot of problems. The sm7b is just a safe bet and don't acquire a good treated room. If you don't have 2000$ + to spend just go with the sm7 it is awesome and you can get pro results.

According to the manual the UR22 has 54 dB max gain on the preamp. That's just barely enough, and I don't know how clean it'll be in the 50-54dB range. The UR824 pushes 60dB which is in the comfort zone for an SM7B. The 54dB is adequate if you're singing loud or screaming. Soft singing, spoken word, and voiceovers will probably have some hiss when you crank the gain and boost the waveform up to level in your DAW. The Onyx Blackjack does 60dB, fwiw.

I think you are wrong. Many cheap condensers in the 200-1500$ area has allot of problems. The sm7b is just a safe bet and don't acquire a good treated room. If you don't have 2000$ + to spend just go with the sm7 it is awesome and you can get pro results.

It's a safe bet alright. It takes EQ well, has 1/3rd the room sound of a condenser, and the handling noise is minimal. It's really convenient to just grab and record without having to baby it like a condenser. Any perception of woolliness or lack of air is easily fixed with EQ; I compared it to several condensers and it's capable of just as much detail in the highs.

The one major thing I noticed it differs vs condensers is that it picks up syllables in a more uneven way, maybe due to a more narrow sound field. Like it's not capturing the full face/mouth/throat/chest as much, so syllables aren't as averaged out like with the LDC condensers I've tried.