Stephen Tyler (post-inspired by the Dee Snider thread)

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
So, talking about brushes with famous folk, I thought I'd tell a tale here from a few years back, that has a hilarious (and completely true) ending.

I used to work in an used bookstore in Tucson, AZ. One day Stephen Tyler walked in. This would have been in the "Pump," era. It was a large store, but nobody seemed to notice him initially, so I went up and asked him if he needed help. I'm not a huge Aerosmith fan, but it was still pretty neat to see him there....so whatever. I asked him to sign a record or two for the store (we sold used LPs too), and he said he would if I helped him locate a few items. He had a list of about 5 CDs and books, and we didn't have a one of them. One was a Zydeco CD, one was a book called Prince of Thieves by Francois somebody. Anyway, the more I showed him around the store, the more a crowd gathered. Two mangerial-type-suit-guys were with him, and one of them said, "We better speed this along as once the crowd starts it just gets bigger....yada yada." So we wrapped it up. He'd been there for about ten minutes.

Now, I had a friend working there at the time who was the most sarcastic mother scratcher I may have ever known. He was reeeeeally unimpressed with Stephen Tyler being in the store in a sort of "oh la de frickin' da," way. He was working at the info desk, which is directly in line with the front door as you walk in. Soooo, Stephen Tyler is walking out of the store, and at this point pretty much every single person in the store is aware of him (and there are alot of people in the store, it's a BIG store). As every head was turning to watch this famous person leave, there was an odd silence really. Stephen Tyler being the focal point of attention just then. Just as he reached the automatic doors to leave, they opened, and my friend at the info desk shouted, really loud, for all to hear, "Hey man! When's Zeppelin getting back together?" Stephen Tyler paused for a moment, looked kind of emberrased and annoyed, and then walked out. It was still silent except for my laughter, which was uncontrollable. I didn't mean it as disrespect, but I just thought that was sooo funny and strangely brave. That guy was a god. Haha. It was awesome.

Anyway, my Stephen Tyler story.

All true.

ElectricWiz said:
So, talking about brushes with famous folk, I thought I'd tell a tale here from a few years back, that has a hilarious (and completely true) ending.

I used to work in an used bookstore in Tucson, AZ. One day Stephen Tyler walked in. This would have been in the "Pump," era. It was a large store, but nobody seemed to notice him initially, so I went up and asked him if he needed help. I'm not a huge Aerosmith fan, but it was still pretty neat to see him there....so whatever. I asked him to sign a record or two for the store (we sold used LPs too), and he said he would if I helped him locate a few items. He had a list of about 5 CDs and books, and we didn't have a one of them. One was a Zydeco CD, one was a book called Prince of Thieves by Francois somebody. Anyway, the more I showed him around the store, the more a crowd gathered. Two mangerial-type-suit-guys were with him, and one of them said, "We better speed this along as once the crowd starts it just gets bigger....yada yada." So we wrapped it up. He'd been there for about ten minutes.

Now, I had a friend working there at the time who was the most sarcastic mother scratcher I may have ever known. He was reeeeeally unimpressed with Stephen Tyler being in the store in a sort of "oh la de frickin' da," way. He was working at the info desk, which is directly in line with the front door as you walk in. Soooo, Stephen Tyler is walking out of the store, and at this point pretty much every single person in the store is aware of him (and there are alot of people in the store, it's a BIG store). As every head was turning to watch this famous person leave, there was an odd silence really. Stephen Tyler being the focal point of attention just then. Just as he reached the automatic doors to leave, they opened, and my friend at the info desk shouted, really loud, for all to hear, "Hey man! When's Zeppelin getting back together?" Stephen Tyler paused for a moment, looked kind of emberrased and annoyed, and then walked out. It was still silent except for my laughter, which was uncontrollable. I didn't mean it as disrespect, but I just thought that was sooo funny and strangely brave. That guy was a god. Haha. It was awesome.

All true.

That's classic!!! I like your buddies style!!

Around 1987 I worked in Santa Rosa at a local bakery/restaurant. It was a busy Sunday morning brunch and I was saying goodbye to a couple of ladies I had served. The older lady (60;s) got up and put her jacket on....It was an Aerosmith leather tour jacket. I had to comment on the jacket as I had recently seen a show and was still excited. She asked me how I enjoyed the show and asked a few more questions about the guys. After my comments, excitedly so enthused that she was interested in my replies, she said "That's good to hear, my son loves his fans." It was Joe Perry's mother. :cool:

kittybeast said:
"That's good to hear, my son loves his fans." It was Joe Perry's mother. :cool:

That's a priceless MC moment ;) The guys in Aerosmith seems to be very agreeable people. Several years ago they played here (I miss it due to heavy rain on a working night), the guitar player of the band that opened for them at the time is an acquaintance of mine. He told me that night he had trouble with his guitar before the show and Joe Perry approach him an offer one of his just like that.

NP: Darkness - 'The Omniscient'

ElectricWiz said:
Just as he reached the automatic doors to leave, they opened, and my friend at the info desk shouted, really loud, for all to hear, "Hey man! When's Zeppelin getting back together?" Stephen Tyler paused for a moment, looked kind of emberrased and annoyed, and then walked out. It was still silent except for my laughter, which was uncontrollable. I didn't mean it as disrespect, but I just thought that was sooo funny and strangely brave. That guy was a god. Haha. It was awesome.

All true.

lmao, great insult, but it would have been perfect if the Rolling Stones had broken up. :D

Jean-Pierre said:
lmao, great insult, but it would have been perfect if the Rolling Stones had broken up. :D

Haha, true enough. The insult was good as/is, I think, because really he came off as sounding like, "What with the hair and all, you must be one of them Led Zeppelin fellers..."

What's up with the Manilla Road article in your sig? From your local paper?

ElectricWiz said:
Haha, true enough. The insult was good as/is, I think, because really he came off as sounding like, "What with the hair and all, you must be one of them Led Zeppelin fellers..."

What's up with the Manilla Road article in your sig? From your local paper?

Heh, from one in Kasas in like...the early 80's. They got off at the wrong exit. :lol:

Wyvern said:
That's a priceless MC moment ;) The guys in Aerosmith seems to be very agreeable people. Several years ago they played here (I miss it due to heavy rain on a working night), the guitar player of the band that opened for them at the time is an acquaintance of mine. He told me that night he had trouble with his guitar before the show and Joe Perry approach him an offer one of his just like that.

NP: Darkness - 'The Omniscient'

Rain in Costa Rica??? nahhh lol .... :loco: