Steven Slate FG-X for 99$?

Flow Of Time

Oct 6, 2012
So, I got an e-mail offer to get FG-X for 99$. But I already own ozone.
Should I go for it?
My problem with ozone is that every master sounds "ozonized"...
(if you know what I mean)

I haven't used ozone, but fgx is real easy to just slap on a mix and see what it can sound like smashed, BUT it is kind of misleading since it preserves transients really well - if you use other software to master later, it's going to throw you off when you start losing your transients...

I think it's great for material that you want to keep sounding more dynamic (I use it on acoustic and rock/pop stuff)

For metal I prefer just using t-racks clipper or the ozone limiter

It really depends in material IMHO and the only real way is to try it out yourself. A little detail though, but annoys me a lot - there is still no 64bit FG-X for MacOSX.

Thanks for your replys :)
I definitely want to go for a "wider" rockier sound, that's something I'm missing in Ozone..
I'll have to think a bit about it, the offer runs until april so I have a bit of time left :D

I really like it, but I feel like the RMS meter on it is pretty exaggerated. When I hit "-9dB RMS" on it, it's much lower in volume than if I mastered it with individual plugins. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with it yet, but I do really like how it retains the punch of the lowend, without overpowering the mix.

Seems like a silly question Matrix.. but are you disabling the constant gain monitoring? It took me a couple of goes with it to realise to turn this off.

A little off topic, but I still love the Massey L2007. Free to use, just write down settings or pay the small price for full version. It's no big deal when using it on the master bus. I just find it easy to apply with out making it sound like shit. My last mix I use a simple compression combo of RComp and Massey Limiter, I thought it worked great and I had a lot of control with very little change to the sound except volume. My 2 cents.