Steven Wilson Solo album!!!

I hate that fucking Burningshed store..
They don't even accept Paypal..

So that means, No preordering, RHT DVD.. SW Album.. Fathomless Mastery..

God I hate creditcards..:Smug:

Let me convert that back into American dollars again, in light of the recent financial crisis.

$86 + $35 shipping = US $121 as of 1 Sept. 2008 = $29,828.25 as of 11 Oct. 2008

I am kind of disappointed as well that it's only shipping from England.... But you have to take the bad with the good, I suppose.

But I agree, Burning Shed is annoying. Can't get any PT stuff from the online store without forking out at least 60 bucks!

just FYI, apparently the book/package weighs in at 1.6KGs and the postage costs are pretty accurate.

not nessisarily defending it though. While I did breakdown and order the vinyl version (makes more sense to me) it's still alot of money for 75 mins of music. (and yes apparently this actually includes the bonus CD too)

"Rumours that King Crimson's guitarist Robert Fripp and ex-Opeth drummer Martin Lopez also appear were confirmed untrue." from wiki. lol at the idea that lopez makes a come back on this. Maybe that is another reason he made it so expensive, he knows Opeth fans will pay through the teeth to get der hadnz 0n lopz!1

I think Wilson is a premier songwriter. But, who in their right mind would pay $76.11 cents for any fuckin' disc or album. If it's true that Wilson is doing this, he's gonna fuck it up for us in the future. All bands will try and charge ludicrous prices for their material. If I was a Trillion heir I wouldn't pay that price. And without even hearing the album? What the fuck is wrong with you people?

I think Wilson is a premier songwriter. But, who in their right mind would pay $76.11 cents for any fuckin' disc or album. If it's true that Wilson is doing this, he's gonna fuck it up for us in the future. All bands will try and charge ludicrous prices for their material. If I was a Trillion heir I wouldn't pay that price. And without even hearing the album? What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Easy there, Skippy.

I'll agree that the asking price is a tad on the steep side, and like I said before, I do think that the general release date should've been within a week or two of the limited edition release date, but do remember that the limited edition does come packaged in a coffee table quality, embossed hardback book of art photos, the kind of which can fetch 50 bucks or more alone as a popular new release in a book store. It also comes with the high res-24 bit 5.1 mix DVDA, and a large chunk of the cost goes to cover international shipping & insurance, which ain't cheap, either.

As for not hearing the record, c'mon man, it's Steven Wilson, and we've heard a good portion of two tracks on the trailers, both of which have sounded as incredible as expected. Steven is one of the few musicians around today who has consistently time and again proven himself worthy of this kind of confidence in the quality of his material. The music itself is pretty much guaranteed not to disappoint, particularly given the samples we've heard, so I'm not at all worried about the musical aspect of the release, especially given the guy's track record of excellence with his 5.1 mixes in particular.

I'll reserve my final judgement on the "is it really worth it?" front until I actually get to check it out for myself, but for what's being advertised, anyway, it's sounding like it will indeed be worth it, at least to card-carrying SW fanbois such as myself and a large number of our fellow Opethians.

I really do think it's a mistake to hold off on the general release for so long, though. It really is kind of unfair to the SW fan who might not be able to just crap out 80 bucks on demand, and it sets Steven up for poorer sales of the general release after being subjected to several months of bittorrent raping of the LE.

Steven is one of the few musicians around today who has consistently time and again proven himself worthy of this kind of confidence in the quality of his material. The music itself is pretty much guaranteed not to disappoint,

I thought so once too, and then Fear Of A Blank Planet was released...

I thought so once too, and then Fear Of A Blank Planet was released...

To each his own, man, but I dig FOABP. Not my favorite PT record, but still vastly superior to approximately 99.997% of anything else out there.

Hey Skippy, you can spend your money any way you want, and you can determine all the reasons you want for purchase. I don't care, anymore that most on here care about what I think in reference to this outlandish price. I guess I was generalizing, in that, my concern is other artists will follow suit and "jack" up their prices. As for "c'mon man, it's Steven Wilson" well, that certainly remains to be heard. I bought most PT discs blindly, up and to Deadwing(which really was average imo) then along came FOABP, which is musically done very well but, the subject matter is completely boring and Mr. Wilson has a tendency to "whine" in his vocals. Don't get me wrong, man I respect Wilson immensely for his songwriting prowess and guitar playing. I prefer PT's earlier material, specifically going back to "Signify" in 94-95(I think). The way this fucked up culture is and society in which we live, it dictates values on consumer products including music buying. If you don't see that, you better get your head out from your ass and open your eyes and ears, man. If I remember correctly, Wilson released FOABP and then "Nil Recurring" some time after FOABP and said, "these songs on NR didn't make the cut for FOABP." C,mon man, it's Steven Wilson. Do you think he's beyond gouging prices? Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I might buy this in the jewell case edition.

Hey Skippy, you can spend your money any way you want, and you can determine all the reasons you want for purchase. I don't care, anymore that most on here care about what I think in reference to this outlandish price. I guess I was generalizing, in that, my concern is other artists will follow suit and "jack" up their prices. As for "c'mon man, it's Steven Wilson" well, that certainly remains to be heard. I bought most PT discs blindly, up and to Deadwing(which really was average imo) then along came FOABP, which is musically done very well but, the subject matter is completely boring and Mr. Wilson has a tendency to "whine" in his vocals. Don't get me wrong, man I respect Wilson immensely for his songwriting prowess and guitar playing. I prefer PT's earlier material, specifically going back to "Signify" in 94-95(I think). The way this fucked up culture is and society in which we live, it dictates values on consumer products including music buying. If you don't see that, you better get your head out from your ass and open your eyes and ears, man. If I remember correctly, Wilson released FOABP and then "Nil Recurring" some time after FOABP and said, "these songs on NR didn't make the cut for FOABP." C,mon man, it's Steven Wilson. Do you think he's beyond gouging prices? Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I might buy this in the jewell case edition.

Jeezus man, why all the butthurt? Nice paroxysm btw, hope you didn't blow any blood vessels you may actually need later!

Now to the... "points" buried under all that frothy bluster. You seem to be implying that one guy releasing one special edition of a solo project that comes with far more elaborate and expensive packaging than any regular cd, that requires more expensive international shipping and insurance rates is somehow going to set a precedent that is going to suddenly send the entire music industry careening into the realm where every cd that is released is now going to cost 80 bucks, is that it? Fascinating...

Paranoid much?! :zombie:

As for your concerns for the quality of the record, taste is entirely subjective, but there are a whole helluva lot of people who would disagree quite strongly with your assessment of Deadwing as "average", and who would take FOABP any day over Signify. Something else I find interesting is that in spite of your eagerness to berate and bitch about everything from Steven Wilson's "whining" to his now boring thematic concepts (especially ironic, given the subject matter of the record) to, according to your own logic, his apparent evil conspiracy to personally bankrupt the entire music-buying world, you still say you might consider buying the "jewell [sic] case edition"! Way to show him what you're made of you little freedom fighter, you!

Well Che, it's been fun, but I really should let you get back to the Revolution now, so...

"trillionaire"

sorry

grammar police

If I was a Trillion heir I wouldn't pay that price.

Yeah you would

RoadKing said:
I really do think it's a mistake to hold off on the general release for so long, though. It really is kind of unfair to the SW fan who might not be able to just crap out 80 bucks on demand, and it sets Steven up for poorer sales of the general release after being subjected to several months of bittorrent raping of the LE.

Basically. I'm assuming he's trying to make something nice, something really physical and collectable for the hardcore Wilson fan. You can't torrent beautiful packaging - but beautiful packaging isn't worth the 80whatever dollars for the average SW fan.

I'm going to ask for it for Christmas...

It's not the packaging I'm getting it for, but the DVD. I don't think the retail comes with it.