Steven Wilson will produce Orphaned Land!

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
"Damnation" doesn't bore me at all really. But again it comes down to that "To each their own" saying, really. The only thing I have against that record is yet again Opeth beat us to it, because we've discussed recording an all acoustic/mellow themed cd since like 1999! I'd still like to do it, but of course we'll have the people crying "Opeth clones" left and right. I hate people.

Well, Damnation isn't really acoustic...I think there are actually fewer acoustic guitars on that cd than a lot of their others. Maybe now they'd scream GREEN CARNATION RIPOFF though :)

Either way it'd be lame for anyone to yell ripoff if we did it but I just know how people can be. Doing an all mellow/acoustic album or EP is not a new concept by any means.

For the record, I like that Green Carnation cd, they're a great band.

Getting Wilson on board should be a great move for OL. Haven't heard the band myself but might check out their next album.
I'm not a fan of Porcupine Tree at all, yet I find I really like Wilson's various production credits. Damnation is an incredible album as far as I'm concerned and it's the one that really pulled me into the world of Opeth along with Blackwater Park.
His best (IMO) production job for mine is Sunsets On Empire by Fish which sounds amazing and is one of my all time fave albums.

Nice to see some Pain of Salvation fans on here as well :kickass:

I heard Mabool once, but never payed a lot of attention to it. But the combination of Wilson and OL might turn into something very interesting, I'll definitely check that.

And "Damnation" was the best album released in 2003.

Yes, it was.

MadTinus said:
I heard Mabool once, but never payed a lot of attention to it. But the combination of Wilson and OL might turn into something very interesting, I'll definitely check that.

And "Damnation" was the best album released in 2003.

Yes, it was.

Yeah, maybe, besides Anathema - A Natural Disaster, Enslaved - Below the Lights, Elend - Winds Devouring Men, Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette, Katatonia - Viva Emptiness, The Gathering - Souvenirs, Klimt 1918 0 Undressed Momento, Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye, OHM, and Vast - Nude

AND EVEN DEVIN TOWNSEND - ACCELERATED EVOLUTION, SOILWORK - FIGURE NUMBER FIVE, A PERFECT CIRCLE - THIRTEENTH STEP, AND DREAM THEATER - TRAIN OF THOUGHT :p

It's the only Opeth album I don't own, actually :p

It was better than St. Anger though. And TON - Life Is Killing Me (what a disappointment that one was :()

Mabool is awesome, btw, I'd highly recommend it. I love the guy's vocals, I guess a lot of people dislike them though.

wankerness said:
Yeah, maybe, besides Anathema - A Natural Disaster, Enslaved - Below the Lights, Elend - Winds Devouring Men, Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette, Katatonia - Viva Emptiness, The Gathering - Souvenirs, Klimt 1918 0 Undressed Momento, Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye, OHM, and Vast - Nude

AND EVEN DEVIN TOWNSEND - ACCELERATED EVOLUTION, SOILWORK - FIGURE NUMBER FIVE, A PERFECT CIRCLE - THIRTEENTH STEP, AND DREAM THEATER - TRAIN OF THOUGHT :p

It's the only Opeth album I don't own, actually :p

It was better than St. Anger though. And TON - Life Is Killing Me (what a disappointment that one was :()

Mabool is awesome, btw, I'd highly recommend it. I love the guy's vocals, I guess a lot of people dislike them though.
Viva Emptiness and especially A Natural Disaster were rather disappointing i.m.o. Both bands' worst efforts of their career. Katatonia improved somewhat on the new one (but still nothing like Last Fair Deal, Tonight's Decision etc.).

I agree with you on Typo Life Is Killing Me.

Angeleyes Part II said:
@Larry: What did ND do with Neil K.? :)

@Sept.Marc: ..I continue in English ok,it's not really nice if we talk in our own language. Nice to meet ya! And i agree the wheater sucks wet nads atm..:rolleyes: Are you goiing to see Katatonia? :)

Is Katatonia coming to Holland? Didn't know that....And I am not the only dutch person in this forum I guess; Tinus is from Zeist I see...heh!

Vambo said:
I'm not a fan of Porcupine Tree at all.

Nice to see some Pain of Salvation fans on here as well :kickass:

Ok! could someone atleast try to explain me what's so horrible about Porcupine Tree,I mean is it the lyrics,the music..What?

Yes!,i'm a great fan of PoS,I have their last 4 albums,I don't say all their songs are good!
I mean "Be" for example is not an easy album to listen too,but once it grows on ya,and listen very good to the lyrics,their definitly are a few gems on that album ..which album do you like/dislike most Vambo?..

@Sept.Marc: Yes Katatonia,is coming to play the 12th of May in Katwijk..:)
Yes i see we have another Dutch fellow aboard..:cool:

@Larry: I'm so fed up to hear everyone talking about "To Welcome The Fade" I'm gonna purchase the album TOMORROW!!! :p

Angeleyes Part II said:
Ok! could someone atleast try to explain me what's so horrible about Porcupine Tree,I mean is it the lyrics,the music..What?

There's nothing 'horrible' about Porcupine Tree... I just personally find that their music doesn't connect with me. I wasn't slagging them off when I said I didn't like them, merely stating the fact that I love Wilsons production even though I don't actually like his main band.

Yes!,i'm a great fan of PoS,I have their last 4 albums,I don't say all their songs are good!
I mean "Be" for example is not an easy album to listen too,but once it grows on ya,and listen very good to the lyrics,their definitly are a few gems on that album ..which album do you like/dislike most Vambo?..

Whereas I'm not a big Porcupine Tree fan... I am a HUGE Pain of Salvation fan. They are my all time fave band and I'm way too biased to give an impersonal opinion on them.
My fave album is The Perfect Element pt1 but I like all their albums.
First saw them when they opened for Dream Theater in Jan 2002 and have been a fan since then and flew to Paris to see them on the first leg of the BE tour and saw them again in London on the second leg of the tour.
Looking forward to when their next album 'Scarsick' gets released and no doubt I will travel somewhere in mainland Europe to see them if they don't do any UK dates :worship:

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Hey, a Klimt1918 fan, awesome. Our drummer Joe and I just recently found this band and I really like it alot.

My vote for best album of '03 out of that list would be Viva Emptiness personally.

Yeah, that would be first or second. I like a few songs on that Klimt 1918 cd a lot more than anything on the Katatonia, but the Katatonia is more consistent. Which Klimt 1918 did you hear? Their newest is a lot lighter than Undressed Momento, it got a heavy U2 influence or something :D I like it but it's not as good. And along the same lines have you heard Novembre? They're friends with Klimt 1918 (Novembre's drummer produced one of their cds, actually) and definitely one of my favorite bands, and also are right next to you guys in metal cd stores :) They're often compared to Opeth but they have a definite Italian vibe to their stuff, and their music is lusher and less...crushing I guess than Opeth.

ANYWAY I also admit to being a huge PoS fanboy, TPE and RL are (as I said) two of my top 3 favorite albums ever (Opeth's MAYH being the other!) and OHBTCL is very close. 12:5 I think is also amazing (I can't believe how well they pulled off all the harmony vocals live!) and their first cd and BE both have their moments (but aren't that great overall). I definitely would have called them my favorite band before Be came out, but now I'm not so sure who is anymore :p

Angeleyes Part II said:
@Larry: I'm so fed up to hear everyone talking about "To Welcome The Fade" I'm gonna purchase the album TOMORROW!!! :p

YES! And get "The Knowing" too! I have been listening to both a lot recently, they are both so amazingly good. I used to think TWTF was much better, but the more I listen to "The Knowing" the more I like it. We'll just say they're the best two 'quasi-doom' albums ever.

Viva Emptiness was a "grower" for me. I disliked it when I first heard it. Now I love it, it's my favorite Katatonia album. "Omerta" is just brilliant.

I like Porcupine Tree though I don't own a single disc. I've seen them live and I've heard their albums before when others have played them for me.

I don't really get too bothered when people disagree with my tastes or vice versa. When you really enjoy something, or when you strongly dislike something, you can't help but feel confused when you talk to someone who feels completely the opposite, but I never hold it against anyone or frown upon them for it, because I know all too well that people will always have different impressions and experience different moods when listening to music. There's albums that I adore that many people seem to hate or dislike. It doesn't make me feel any differently about the album, I still love it all the same. I think it's good when people discuss and debate about things like music or art but I think people sometimes get too caught up in the "I'm right and you're clueless" mentality when discussing stuff. It all comes down to personal taste really.

I also liked some of "Life is Killing Me", come to think of it, though I agree it was definitely not nearly a favorite TON cd for me. I personally love "October Rust" and "Origin Of The Feces".

For me, Porcupine Tree's 'In Absentia' is brilliant. A lot of Porcupine Tree is hit of miss for me. On each CD, there's several solid and amazing songs, and a few songs I cringe at. Saddly, I've never heard Pain of Salvation. I thought the las Type O was pretty typical of all the other Type O CDs. It had it's moments as well.

I've been really bored with music lately. There's only been a few CD's that have really excited me.

Novembers Paul said:
For me, Porcupine Tree's 'In Absentia' is brilliant. A lot of Porcupine Tree is hit of miss for me. On each CD, there's several solid and amazing songs, and a few songs I cringe at. Saddly, I've never heard Pain of Salvation. I thought the las Type O was pretty typical of all the other Type O CDs. It had it's moments as well.

I've been really bored with music lately. There's only been a few CD's that have really excited me.

In Absentia is their best album, yeah. Deadwing was pretty boring imo. I like Lightbulb Sun and Recordings are good too, but the other stuff I've heard (Signify, Stupid Dream) wasn't very exciting.

As for Type O Negative, my problem with the last one was the schizophrenic nature of it. There's a bunch of absolute crap rockers on it (especially 'i like goils') and very few of the songs that are what endeared them to me in the first place. October Rust I consider one of the best albums ever, it's just gorgeous. World Coming Down was about half great. The earlier stuff is sorta hit and miss, I like some of all of them, but none of them come close to OR/WCD to me.

Origin of the Feces is pretty funny though, I love the fake crowd interaction :D

@Vambo: Aaww..sorry,i didn't meant it to sound as if you personally were so anti PT,it was mainly a general question,and i'm quite pleased with the responses on the subject,and imo Porcupine Tree made a few good songs/albums and a few which we're rather disapointing,and we can argue already about SW producing OL's new album,but i just think we should wait and see after their new album is released,fair enough..:)

You really do that? You actually take a plane to see a gig.wow you surely must be a very dedicated PoS fan,I wish I could do that!! Unfortunately I still didn't have the chance to see PoS live,they we're here a few months ago,and I couldn't make it,I was so sad about that,I hope they will do another European tour after the release of "Scarsick",I believe it comes out in May,if i'm correct..

Now!! @Wanker: What do you mean Novembre has a "definite Italian vibe"?

I bought both the albums "The Knowing" and "To Welcome The Fade" this afternoon.. I just didn't listen to it yet!...I'm still so into TPHD,I really doubt they can be better then that!...I dunno,which one should I listen first?...

Well,i dunno about TON,I only know the song "Black No.1" which isn't so bad imo..all i know is,TON = Peter Steele = BIG!!

@Chupe666: Mono is amazing! Beautiful instrumental stuff,abit like Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Explosions In The Sky..:)

Angeleyes Part II said:
Now!! @Wanker: What do you mean Novembre has a "definite Italian vibe"?

Here, I'll post a couple short bits from songs
http://www.emotears.com/~wankerness/distances.mp3
http://www.emotears.com/~wankerness/everasia.mp3

They sound to me like that stereotypical Italian pizza making music, especially the second :)

It's obviously not nearly this 'italian' all the time, but as you can probably see it's sometimes very apparent.

Get "Novembrine Waltz" if you ever see it anywhere, it's just amazing. It's out of print now though I guess :(